• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fastest bowlers in NZ?

daz42

Cricket Spectator
I was just wondering if anyone know of any NZ bowlers who can bowl at over 140 km/h? Th NZ Test team needs some pace.

Howsie

International Captain
There are plenty of bowlers who could crank it up to 140K but that really doesn't mean a lot as that's hardly fast at the international level. I can't imgaine there would be any bowler in New Zealand currently that would be consistently over 140K, especially if McKay is suppsoed to be the quickest going around and he's around the 138-145 mark generally.

Flem274*

123/5
McClenaghan pre-injury was apparently genuine fast, but I don't know what he's like now. Bennett is quick for a couple of overs before slowing down, Davis is quick, Milne, Kuru, Small and Mathieson are over 140kph apparently, and God knows what Sherlock is like now after his 67485th injury.

There's also a bloke down in Otago but I forget his name.

McKay is the only guy who has been clocked (fastest ball off the top of my head is 147kph) though. But at least one of McClenaghan, Kuru, Milne and Small should get on the speed radar at the Champions League. Bevan Small was one of the fastest bowlers at the U19 world cup.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
The thread starter didn't mention still playing...and i don't think Bond retired from all formats either. He is one of the bowlers that i admire outside Pakistan.....genuine pace and bounce...will miss him tests for sure.

Jezroy

State Captain
Bond has retired from all forms of cricket.
Yeah he has. Sorry, I was taking the piss. NZ struggling for quality pace bowlers (as usual). Not a big history of bowlers with genuine gas in this country. But as Hadlee and McGrath proved - pace is NOT everything. It helps, but if you're a good bowelr, not essential.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The moment I read the words NZ fast bowler, I think of the name Bond...Shane Bond.

His retirement was a loss to cricket :-O

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
When he first came onto the scene, yeah. From what I hear, he's had back troubles and come back a fair bit slower, with a bit of an effort ball up his sleeve.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McMillan? he's missed out on a contract for this season - injuries again curtailed his efforts last year.
Remember seeing him in a State Shield game a few years back. **** he was bowling fast that day. But maybe he just looked that quick by comparison - the other bowlers in that game were really rather pedestrian (Sewell, Canning...).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
What happened to Sherlock? Remember he was spruiked as having some geniune wheels. Injury got the best of him?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Remember seeing him in a State Shield game a few years back. **** he was bowling fast that day. But maybe he just looked that quick by comparison - the other bowlers in that game were really rather pedestrian (Sewell, Canning...).
Nah, McMillan was always quite swift - I'd say when healthy he was regularly 140kmh. Faced him once, but thankfully the outfield and runups were a bit soggy so he was only at three-quarter speed. Knocked him back over his head. :cool: (even though I somehow played the shot from two feet outside leg... :ph34r: )

Sewelly could be pretty nippy when he was on song too.

weed wizard

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
black caps

I think tim southee is pretty young.
He can moulded into a quickie.

He has age on his side.
M really looking forward to central districts at champions league t20.
And mr. Bond is there bowling coach. Gr8 2 see him back.