• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3 Spin All-Rounders for ODI

3 Spin All-Rounders in ODI's

• Total voters

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Many similarities between these 3 spin ODI All-Rounders.
They could open an innings.
They were devastating in their batting abilities.
They could captain a side.
And they could bowl spin, 3 different types ( OB, SLA, LBG)

Which of these was the greater ODI player ?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Think that Afridi has ended up being better value to his side when not opening.

Probably Jayasuriya is a better player, exacerbated by how long he was at the top for, but personal, unmitigated bias means that I'm voting for Chris Gayle.

tooextracool

International Coach
Not sure how this is a no contest to be honest.J ayasuriya averages 32 in ODI cricket while Gayle averages nearly 40. Their bowling records are almost identical. Jayasuriya for me is one of the most overrated players going around on this forum. Above average at best, but his reputation is inflated for the impact that he had in the 96 world cup. Maybe we should start hyping up Geoff Allott while we're at it.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'd rather have Gayle play against us than Jayasuriya. Matara Marauder was that destructive.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
AWTA. I'd rather have Gayle play against, than Jayasuriya. Matara Marauder was that destructive.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure how this is a no contest to be honest.J ayasuriya averages 32 in ODI cricket while Gayle averages nearly 40. Their bowling records are almost identical. Jayasuriya for me is one of the most overrated players going around on this forum. Above average at best, but his reputation is inflated for the impact that he had in the 96 world cup. Maybe we should start hyping up Geoff Allott while we're at it.
So fielding and captaincy are non-issues? On and off field behavior if you want to add some more.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's ridiculous to call Jayasuriya overhyped on the basis of a World Cup. Nothing could be farther from the truth, actually.

tooextracool

International Coach
So fielding and captaincy are non-issues? On and off field behavior if you want to add some more.
Its hard to see how Jayasuriya is a better fielder than Gayle. And Jayasuriya was pretty much useless as captain. At the end of the day, Jayasuriya's record is hardly exceptional and he was pretty much hit or miss.

tooextracool

International Coach
It's ridiculous to call Jayasuriya overhyped on the basis of a World Cup. Nothing could be farther from the truth, actually.
Indeed, he wasnt even SL's most valuable player that tournament after failing in both the semis and finals.

Jayasuriya's legend will always involve taking poor bowlers, like the Indians, to the cleaners. With Jayasuriya, the bottom line is that if you gave him width on a slowish wicket he would trounce you. Cut off his circulation outside the off stump or put him against the moving ball and he'd be out before you could sit down.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jayasuriya came to Singapore earlier this year to take part in a small local T20 tournament. He was an arrogant son of a ****.

1) Screaming vulgarities at a 15 year old kid in his team just because he fumbled at the boundary and gave an extra run.

2) Screaming vulgarities to anyone and everyone, including management. (In horrible English might I add)

3) Bowling from literally a 2 step run up, thinking he's all that great a bowler. (got absolutely hammered in one game, gave around 50 runs in 2 overs)

4) Came late for a match, delayed proceedings by an hour.

5) Went for the toss in a tank top and shorts.

6) Refused to play a game because it was 'too hot' and demanded an ice bath.

And the list goes on. On the other hand, if I'm not wrong, Upul Tharanga was there as well. He was just the opposite and even held coaching sessions for some of the kids.