• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Waqar Younis vs. Glenn McGrath vs. Shoaib Akhtar

GameGod

Cricket Spectator
I have seen people debate many times, and generally agree, that in his peak form Waqar Younis was a superior bowler to Wasim Akram (although the latter is rated higher because of Waqar's short peak). It occurs to me that during the early stages of his career, Shoaib Akhtar was also a fabulous bowler who lost a lot of steam and skill and therefore lost a lot of potential respect.

What do you think the rankings are between these three bowlers - Waqar Younis, Shoaib Akhtar and Glenn McGrath - if all three were playing at their peak form in their primes? And, would you rate the person who you place as #1 in this list as better than any other pace bowler of all-time at their peak?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
McGrath >> Waqar >>>>>>> Shoaib generally.

However at their peak/prime Waqar would probably win.

GameGod

Cricket Spectator
McGrath >> Waqar >>>>>>> Shoaib generally.

However at their peak/prime Waqar would probably win.
Yeah, I was talking about their primes. I wouldn't throw Shoaib into the same sentence as McGrath or Younis as regards their general careers.

Would you say that Waqar at his peak/prime would be the best pace bowler of all-time?

Teja.

Global Moderator
At their respective peaks, Waqar obvs.

Overall, Waqar by a negligible margin over McGrath.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, peaks are deceptive things and fairly meaningless. It could be argued that Mendis at his peak tied into knots an all-time great batting lineup against spin. Others would say he was worked out after that.

TBF however, Waqar's peak is generally acknowledged as a pretty lengthy and special one.. still, I'd probably only put him level with McGrath who barely had even one poor Test series in his long and distinguished career.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How long are you talking about when you say peak? A day, a month, a year?
Yeah exactly; I don't like dealing in peaks because I just never know when it stop narrowing it down. If someone was picked too early or retired too late I don't mind excluding parts of their career, but if you're just going to narrow it down to two or three years, why stop there? You could make an argument to suggest that Michael Vaughan's peak as a bowler was greater than Jason Gillespie's because the best ball he ever bowled was better than the best ball Gillespie ever bowled. True as that might be, it's fairly irrelevant when comparing them as bowlers.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
But due to longevity Mcgrath wins this for me ,ahead of Waqar and Akthar in that order.

He was consistent over a longer period while bith Akthar and Waqar had probably more lethal peaks.

Sir Alex

Banned
But due to longevity Mcgrath wins this for me ,ahead of Waqar and Akthar in that order.

He was consistent over a longer period while bith Akthar and Waqar had probably more lethal peaks.
This.

Akthar could crack open any batting lineup in the world at his peak. Waqar was brilliant in his early years.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Maybe the key question is, when was McGrath at his absolute peak? I find it hard to pick out a single season from his entire career he was that consistent.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Peaks - Waqar > McGrath/Shoaib, not really aware of any peak McGrath may have had.

Overall, McGrath > Waqar > Shoaib

If we're talking overall in the Ian Botham sense, Waqar > McGrath > Shoaib

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe the key question is, when was McGrath at his absolute peak? I find it hard to pick out a single season from his entire career he was that consistent.
I'd say McGrath was @ his ulitmate peak between SA 96/97 (Centurion test) to Ashes 2002/03 (MCG Test). He was his usual metronmoic accurate self but was capable of bowling in the high 80s consistently & a few times he may have touched 90 mph, during that period.

Pre SA 96/97 of course he had the period of WI 94/95 - WI 96/97 where he had just become test quality - but no-one was calling him a great yet then during this breakout period. Then post Ashes 2002/03 (when he had the injury in the 4th test) - Ashes 06/07 when he still had the metronomic accuracy of SA 96/97 - Ashes 02/03 - but he was basically now medium pace (80-83 mph, sometimes under 75-79 range). During this Ashes 02/03-Ashes 06/07, he had that period in 2003 when he came back from injury after the 02/03 Ashes & WC 2003 triumph where during the WI & BANG test he looked absolutely woeful in those series & missed the remainder of 03 & most of 2004.I rememvber the selectors & commentators where questioning his place in the side during that injury lay-off. Before pigeon cam back vs SRI 04 with an immediate 5 wicket haul & straight through until Ashes 06/07 retirement - continued to proved his greatness. But McGrath certainly did have a peak.

Last edited:

GameGod

Cricket Spectator
To clarify, by "peak" I mean the best 1-2 seasons of their career; you may choose whichever of those you want. I take it then that most people see it as:

1. Waqar Younis
  2. Shoaib Akhtar
  3. Glenn McGrath

But was Waqar during his best year (or Shoaib during his best year - I didn't get that clear of response on this) the best of any pace bowler ever in their respective peak years?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Including Shoaib in this debate is unfair. His peak although deadly cant comapre with McGrath & Waqar.

Waqar well known peak was between 1989-1994 (before he sufffered a back injury which kept him out of cricket for a year & he was never the same again). Where he took 190 wickets: 33 tests: @ 19.15. Stunning stuff.

While McGrath as i suggested above did have a peak between Centurion 1997 to MCG 2002, when he was metronomical but bowling @ his fastest. He took 309 wickets: 64 tests: @ 20.08

Its more even than people think. With Waqar bowling probably just being more eye-catching to people @ his peak.

Debris

International 12th Man
Younis was extremely lethal at times (more so than McGrath and probably anyone) but his bowling seemed to be very condition dependent. He never seemed to do well in Australia, for example, and at times looked pedestrian. McGrath seemed to bowl well regardless of conditions which is why I would still pick him.

Akhtar is clearly third behind the other two.

Last edited: