Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 129

Thread: Waqar Younis vs. Glenn McGrath vs. Shoaib Akhtar

  1. #1
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    15

    Waqar Younis vs. Glenn McGrath vs. Shoaib Akhtar

    I have seen people debate many times, and generally agree, that in his peak form Waqar Younis was a superior bowler to Wasim Akram (although the latter is rated higher because of Waqar's short peak). It occurs to me that during the early stages of his career, Shoaib Akhtar was also a fabulous bowler who lost a lot of steam and skill and therefore lost a lot of potential respect.

    What do you think the rankings are between these three bowlers - Waqar Younis, Shoaib Akhtar and Glenn McGrath - if all three were playing at their peak form in their primes? And, would you rate the person who you place as #1 in this list as better than any other pace bowler of all-time at their peak?

  2. #2
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,984
    McGrath >> Waqar >>>>>>> Shoaib generally.

    However at their peak/prime Waqar would probably win.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  3. #3
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    McGrath >> Waqar >>>>>>> Shoaib generally.

    However at their peak/prime Waqar would probably win.
    Yeah, I was talking about their primes. I wouldn't throw Shoaib into the same sentence as McGrath or Younis as regards their general careers.

    Would you say that Waqar at his peak/prime would be the best pace bowler of all-time?

  4. #4
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    z
    Posts
    6,353
    At their respective peaks, Waqar obvs.

    Overall, Waqar by a negligible margin over McGrath.


  5. #5
    State Vice-Captain Debris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    1,304
    How long are you talking about when you say peak? A day, a month, a year?

  6. #6
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    z
    Posts
    6,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Debris View Post
    How long are you talking about when you say peak? A day, a month, a year?
    2-4 years, for me.

  7. #7
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Yeah, peaks are deceptive things and fairly meaningless. It could be argued that Mendis at his peak tied into knots an all-time great batting lineup against spin. Others would say he was worked out after that.

    TBF however, Waqar's peak is generally acknowledged as a pretty lengthy and special one.. still, I'd probably only put him level with McGrath who barely had even one poor Test series in his long and distinguished career.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Debris View Post
    How long are you talking about when you say peak? A day, a month, a year?
    Yeah exactly; I don't like dealing in peaks because I just never know when it stop narrowing it down. If someone was picked too early or retired too late I don't mind excluding parts of their career, but if you're just going to narrow it down to two or three years, why stop there? You could make an argument to suggest that Michael Vaughan's peak as a bowler was greater than Jason Gillespie's because the best ball he ever bowled was better than the best ball Gillespie ever bowled. True as that might be, it's fairly irrelevant when comparing them as bowlers.
    ~ Cribbage ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  9. #9
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Just under your skin
    Posts
    5,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Debris View Post
    How long are you talking about when you say peak? A day, a month, a year?
    What ever that suits your argument
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

  10. #10
    Hall of Fame Member Cevno's Avatar
    Simon Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    15,788
    At his peak if we are only talking about Akthar was devastating.

    Just look at this spell-

    YouTube - World's ever Fastest Bowler in History of Cricket

    His Record from 2001 to 2005 is devastating and that too in one of the major periods of batsmen Domination.
    Last edited by Cevno; 22-08-2010 at 02:54 AM.

  11. #11
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    235
    Akthar does not deserve to be mentioned in the same thread as the other two.

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member Cevno's Avatar
    Simon Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    15,788
    But due to longevity Mcgrath wins this for me ,ahead of Waqar and Akthar in that order.

    He was consistent over a longer period while bith Akthar and Waqar had probably more lethal peaks.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    4,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    But due to longevity Mcgrath wins this for me ,ahead of Waqar and Akthar in that order.

    He was consistent over a longer period while bith Akthar and Waqar had probably more lethal peaks.
    This.

    Akthar could crack open any batting lineup in the world at his peak. Waqar was brilliant in his early years.

  14. #14
    International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,113
    Maybe the key question is, when was McGrath at his absolute peak? I find it hard to pick out a single season from his entire career he was that consistent.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by Debris View Post
    How long are you talking about when you say peak? A day, a month, a year?
    Depends which bowler you want to claim has the better peak.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mystery Draft 3 - Global Premier League
    By Athlai in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 712
    Last Post: 19-04-2010, 02:06 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-03-2010, 09:30 AM
  3. Amazing Waqar Younis
    By Sanz in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 06:06 AM
  4. Mystery Draft V.2 (1989-2009)
    By Mupariwa_Magic in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 492
    Last Post: 21-11-2009, 01:00 PM
  5. Northern Hemisphere Vs Southern
    By taitmachine in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-02-2008, 08:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •