• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Waqar Younis vs. Glenn McGrath vs. Shoaib Akhtar

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Where does durability rank for you guys when discussing this?

If I'm a captain and I choose McGrath, I pretty much know he's going to turn up and be close to or at his best, no matter what the conditions.

Its not the ***ehest of attributes I grant you, but it's a handy one to have. Barring his ankle injury early 2000s and when he rolled his ankle in 05, the man just turned up and did it, day in and day out.
He hurt his ankle in 05? Why did nobody ever mention this? :ph34r:

Anyway. Late to the thread. LT summed it up best; vote for McGrath. A total **** but a lock for my ATXI.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
All irrelevant. Any player who is the man for 12 years is better than someone who was great for 5. There is no question about it. ask any captain in the world if they could have Waqar for 5 or McGrath for 12 and they'd all take McG. Durability matters.
Durability matters of course when we talk about who is better. McGrath's longer injury free peak would obviously make him better than Waqar.

But it shouldn't matter in the hypotetical question of which of McGrath @ his best vs Waqar @ his best would a captain want in an XI.

Top_Cat said:
DWTA. As far as I saw, he was sending down similar stuff but was just played better.
I would say you are definately in the minority with this POV T_C.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No no, you don't just say that T_C, you have to argue back and forth.. Keep it going forever, cos...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Weird. Last i checked the main aim of CW was to talk/argue/debate cricket though.
Talking/ arguing a point implies taking on board what othrts say too though, not just repeating the same things over and over (we all do it though) in page long posts worded slightly differently each time.

Don't forget to collect your sense of humour on your way out. You've plainly left it at the door.

I really, really missed you. My heart was heavy while you were gone..

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
I would go more like Mcgrath>akhtar>younis,
Shoaib stats are one of the best in mordern era of cricket on flat pitches,mcgrath there is nothing to say coming to younis -

His home record-http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/43543.html?class=1;filter=advanced;home_or_away=1;orderby=default;template=results;type=allround

At home most of his wickets are against west indies,srilanka,zimbabwe,newzealand who even then were not world beaters in tests.

At Away-http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/43543.html?class=1;filter=advanced;home_or_away=2;orderby=default;template=results;type=allround

Again australia were the best team then and his record in australia does not do favour to his talent,In india he has played just 2 matches anyway.