• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting's XI to play Australia

Sir Alex

Banned
Laxman unlucky to miss out imho. But yeah, hard to disagree with that. Loving Ambrose included.

Also nicely distributed :

India -2
SA - 3
SL - 2
Pak -1
Eng - 1
WI - 2

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
I guess it's fair to say the Sachin Tendulkar of the 21st century hasn't been quite as good as the Sachin of the 1990s, but he's still been a fantastic player who remains the wicket every bowler in world cricket would most like in their resume. The way he batted against us in Hyderabad a couple of months ago is proof he's still a genius.
He's referring to the 170 back in 09... which means he wrote this in Dec 09, after which Tendulkar has continued his glorious run of form...

Sir Alex

Banned

Missing this man IMO. Though TBF, he didn't exactly detain Ricky long enough at the crease to keep him busy. :ph34r:
Lol! How'd he miss him!! Maybe just that for the obv fact picking him over Murali would make him look an idiot, and self centred. While he admits these guys kept him busy, he is basically picking the best XI he played against overall.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On a more serious note, the all-round talent in that team is pretty stunning. Three bowling all-rounders, one batting all-rounder + Sangakkara.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pretty hard to argue with any of those calls, really.

Argree with his assessment of Fred too, "I can't help thinking he should have achieved more than what he did".

Pretty hard to argue with any of those calls, really.

Argree with his assessment of Fred too, "I can't help thinking he should have achieved more than what he did".
I think that Flintoff is the token pom, I'm sure the ECB would have demanded that at least one pom is included regardless.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
It would have been nice had Ponting thrown a curveball selection in, like selecting Vass over Pollock.

The above XI hardly creates any discussion points as it such a well rounded team and almost spot on.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think that Flintoff is the token pom, I'm sure the ECB would have demanded that at least one pom is included regardless.
Yeah, because Ricky would not have thought Flintoff was any kind of good player after watching him first hand in 05 8-)

JBH001

International Regular
I don't think Ponting's ever really rated Harbhajan, falling to him numerous times notwithstanding. I don't think he has much reason to rate him either, so his exclusion is all good.

Sir Alex

Banned
I don't think Ponting's ever really rated Harbhajan, falling to him numerous times notwithstanding. I don't think he has much reason to rate him either, so his exclusion is all good.
On the contrary as a batsman he has plenty to rate him.

The other day someone was arguing Sehwag dominating Steyn in India is not good enough and that he should dominate him in SA also to qualify as a great batsman.

If similar analogy is applied here, Ponting has every reason to count Harby as actually a better bowler than Murali, solely from his experiences and travails.

However as I said before that was not the intention of this list.

JBH001

International Regular
No, that's rubbish (and T_C's mentioned why once or twice) but I'm not going to argue about it; I've got a couple of SC2 matches coming up. Also, I thought it was a lovely article. Nice work, Punter.

Sir Alex

Banned
I am tempted to pick Jacques Kallis as my all-rounder, which is actually very logical given that his Test statistics measure up even against Sir Garfield Sobers, or maybe I could have called Kumar Sangakkara my all-rounder, in the way we used to think of Gilly as an extra frontline batter even though he went in at No 7. This would have given me the opportunity to include another batter probably one of India's Rahul Dravid, Pakistan's Mohammad Yousuf or England's Kevin Pietersen or perhaps a second spinner, most likely Anil Kumble, who was always a handful for us when bowling at home in India.
Ingracious there clearly Ricky. Give credit when due. :ph34r: