• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting's XI to play Australia

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
If this team played the best aussie xi of punter's time then it would produce a cracking game. (i am trying to not remember the world xi vs australia "test" match)

best of australia post 1995

hayden
langer
ponting
martyn
hussey
s.waugh (c)
gilchrist (wk)
warne
lee
gillespie
mcgrath
Would make a few changes.

- Taylor instead of Langer. Taylor would be skipper

- M Waugh instead of Hussey. M Waugh would bat @#4 & Martyn @ # 6.

- Possibly even Kasprowicz over Lee also (although i dont mind Lee especially at his test best beween 2005-2008)

- Watson 12th man

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I agree. After reading that article I really do hope he becomes a selector post-retirement.
Does Ponting as captain right now have any serious input in the selection process of AUS touring squads & playing XIs?.

I ask this because since 06/07, given the some of the awful selections that have been made especially in the test squad/side. If Ponting has had serious input in those decisions as the selections - him becoming a selector is a very nervy proposition.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Does Ponting as captain right now have any serious input in the selection process of AUS touring squads & playing XIs?.

I ask this because since 06/07, given the some of the awful selections that have been made especially in the test squad/side. If Ponting has had serious input in those decisions as the selections - him becoming a selector is a very nervy proposition.
I don't think he has much of a say on the initial squad, but I think he has some input on the final eleven. Which admittedly is a worry, yes.

akilana

International 12th Man
I don't understand why he went for Polly over Donald but liked his explanations for every player included. Seems like a nice bloke.

tooextracool

International Coach
Yeah bit surprised he went for Pollock given his record against Australia tbh. Seems a pretty decent side otherwise though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ponting says that apparently he's more of a "consultant" than a selector for the final XI.

Debris

International 12th Man
Ponting says that apparently he's more of a "consultant" than a selector for the final XI.
This is how it has traditionally worked in Australia. In theory, it is so there are no political tension in the side where one player can decide another's future. In practice, I imagine his wishes carry a lot of weight.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dissapointingly free of controversy. Even if I disagree (and I don't, except maybe including Donald or Walsh over Pollock), I can't really fault any of his choices, or any of his reasoning. It's a very solid XI.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Am a little surprised he didn't chuck Bond at the expense of Ambrose or Wasim since they only played 10 odd matches in 2000s and I always thought he rated Bond very highly.

Ponting pretty much admits that it's hard to consider only performances of the decade w/o accounting for the rest of their careers too.Fair enough I reckon.Only change I would probably make is another pure batsman in Flintoff's place.The side's got Kallis who is definitely a good enough 5th bowler.

1.Smith
2.Sehwag
3.Kallis
4.Tendu
5.Lara
6.Dravid
7.Sanga
8.Pollock
9.Wasim
10.Murali
11.Ambrose

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reckon Pollock has to be there to shore up the batting tbh; with Flintoff in the team and four bowlers, you'd have a pretty long tail, even with Wasim there as well. Hell of a team though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Couple of the more interesting grabs from the article.

Smith
Initially, we thought he had a weakness on or outside off stump, but he's developed his offside game significantly in the past couple of years.
Remember Lee gave him a torrid time when he first came over as captain, and he was continually caught driving. No doubt that they tried the same tactic when he returned in 2008/09, but we all saw how well he did.

Flintoff
In recent Ashes Tests in England, the crowd was invariably more involved if he was playing -- the difference between the vibe at the Headingley Test in 2009, when he was out injured, and the other Tests of the series was remarkable.
Murali
Knowing that an off-spinner can turn the ball "the other way", away from the outside edge of my bat, means I can't use my feet against him in the way I would against a normal offie. Thus, if I don't get right to the pitch of the ball, then it might spin away from me and I'm gone. Murali has only got me out stumped once in Test matches -- at the Gabba a couple of years ago -- but that's more a reflection of the way I have to play him, the way he's pinned me to the crease, rather than evidence that I've been able to handle him effectively.
Reckon this is the most interesting little tid-bit in the article, talking about his methodology of playing Murali. Really, he's saying that he didn't get to play him how he would have really liked and had to change his game, so to have done as well as he has against him says a fair bit.

L Trumper

State Regular
He really nailed it in bowling department. Ambrose, Akram, Pollock, Flintoff, Murali almost covered all the varieties right there and to think kallis is an extra bowling option!!!! Almost all the bowlers are very hard to score..
Although batting look a little thin, they got solidity with likes of sanga, kallis, sachin and fire power with lara, sehwag, smith.. Flintoff,Akram,Pollock are no mugs with bat either. Even ambrose and murali can bat. All in all this team will give punter's team a run for money.