• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it time James Anderson is dropped?

Craig

World Traveller
Really apart from a the odd WC game and the in the VB Series game at Adelaide, the 2nd Natwest Challenge match against Pakistan were he picked up 4-27 including that hat-trick (not that they prove anything), his Test debut where he bowled (again a five wicket haul is special but that important) he really hasnt done much.

He has bowled countless bad balls and has looked unthreatening. I dont believe in this rubbish that he is tired, well I believe that is just an excuse and probably five, ten years ago he could have and probably would of bowled more overs then he did.

I think the mistake to not let him play any cricket for 12 days between the Natwest Series final and the first Test at Birmingham was wrong. I understand he is young, but for him to go 12 days with any match bowling is ludercious. And I doubt he would of bowled in the nets at all.

So far we have seen how useless he is, and maybe I just think it would be too kind to take him to the sub contentient or to the Carribbean when he should be working on his bowling and getting his head position into position.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the mistake to not let him play any cricket for 12 days between the Natwest Series final and the first Test at Birmingham was wrong.
Are you crazy? Anderson is clearly suffering from extreme fatigue. He has had to bowl 10 times more overs in the past few months than any young bowler should. In addition to this, he has also had to shoulder the attack, being the only bowler to play every game. Now you are suggesting that he should've played even more cricket in that period of time??

At the time, I think the ECB were right to give him a well-deserved rest after a whirlwing couple of months.
So far we have seen how useless he is, and maybe I just think it would be too kind to take him to the sub contentient or to the Carribbean when he should be working on his bowling and getting his head position into position.
You seem to have a very short memory. Anderson is anything but useless. He is a very good talent and England are fortunate to have unearthed him. However, as I said before, he is young and has clearly been overworked.

Ease up on him...

Top_Cat

Let me guess Craig, he's "overrated", right? What a surprise to hear that from you. ;)

For one thing, you sure gave a lot of examples there where he's done well to prove your point that he hasn't done very well. It's like saying "Other than Bradman's 334 against England, average of 99.94, highest first-class score of 452, average of a hundred every third inning he played, he was crap!" :D

Besides that, you're factually wrong in some instances.

think the mistake to not let him play any cricket for 12 days between the Natwest Series final and the first Test at Birmingham was wrong. I understand he is young, but for him to go 12 days with any match bowling is ludercious. And I doubt he would of bowled in the nets at all.
According to most reports, he's been in the nets every day since the previous test.

He has bowled countless bad balls and has looked unthreatening. I dont believe in this rubbish that he is tired, well I believe that is just an excuse and probably five, ten years ago he could have and probably would of bowled more overs then he did.
Maybe so but not in such a concentrated period of time. Even then, he sure has bowled a lot of overs.

There's little wrong with his action. It's one of the more natural ones I've seen and when he's not down on pace due to tiredness or whatever, he actually runs through his action quite nicely so I have no idea where you're getting this head-position thing from. He's a very upright bowler when he's bowling well and even when he's struggling to hit the crease, his action is still quite well balanced.

Look, having watched a lot of last night's play, I don't think he actually bowled THAT badly. It's just that if he bowled a ball even slightly off line, he was punished for it. Gibbs batted well as did Kirsten but the pitch is a road and he ended up paying for the slightest indescretion.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I think England should be glad that you're not a selector Craig. :)

He should be rested, but certainly not dropped.

Craig

World Traveller
All I'm saying is that he needs to probably fix his head position and in which it could help him be more accurate. Other then that his action is fine.

On somedays he is good, but then on others he is all over the shop. I certainly remember that over where he got belted by Gibbs for 14, although he could of had wickets on the last two balls, but to be fair to Bicknell and Butcher, they were pretty though.

Craig

World Traveller
Top_Cat said:
Let me guess Craig, he's "overrated", right? What a surprise to hear that from you. ;)

For one thing, you sure gave a lot of examples there where he's done well to prove your point that he hasn't done very well. It's like saying "Other than Bradman's 334 against England, average of 99.94, highest first-class score of 452, average of a hundred every third inning he played, he was crap!" :D
I wouldnt say that about Bradman, except that he was a freak (in his scoring rate and his number of 100s in a short time). Actually Bradman said his 254, 232 and his 173* were his best ever innings.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I would drop Andreson if there were some Quality fit seamers waiting in the wings, but the fact of the matter is, there are none, so he stays I am afraid...

I think they should persevere with him for the winter, do realize that SA have a formidable batting line up...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
Really apart from a the odd WC game and the in the VB Series game at Adelaide, the 2nd Natwest Challenge match against Pakistan were he picked up 4-27 including that hat-trick (not that they prove anything), his Test debut where he bowled (again a five wicket haul is special but that important) he really hasnt done much.

I think the mistake to not let him play any cricket for 12 days between the Natwest Series final and the first Test at Birmingham was wrong. I understand he is young, but for him to go 12 days with any match bowling is ludercious. And I doubt he would of bowled in the nets at all.

Rubbish that he's tired? No, he really is tired, believe me I've been watching every Test this summer and he's looked knackered lately, as if he really wished he had been rested after he had gone for a ton in the 1st Test. The problem is he's done so much in so little time that many people now think that whenever he bowls he should take a shedload, well, it's not as easy as that, remember his 1st game against Australia in the VB series? 1-48? That's not very special is it? He's against a superb batting side and has played on a lot of dead pitches, played too much and before the 1st Test he only played a few OD games, oh yes, that will really get you in the rythem for only your 3rd ever Test match! Anderson is a real gem, and needs careful handling. We don't want our most promising young bowler burnt out within a few years!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
Errrm, only Englishman to take a ODI Hat-Trick, won the game for England vs Pakistan, took 5 wickets on his Test Debut...

That's more than most bowlers do in a lifetime, let alone a year...

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
Re: Re: Is it time James Anderson is dropped?

Rik said:
Errrm, only Englishman to take a ODI Hat-Trick, won the game for England vs Pakistan, took 5 wickets on his Test Debut...

unforunately people that last statement is VERY true...

i am not very bothered with overrated accusations about players i mean ive heard the same remark about tendulkar, gibbs, saqlain several times the only time it was true was in the case of David Beckham but hes a football player...anwya anderson is a good bowler albeit im a bit surpised at the idiocy of the english selectors to just pick him and use him more or less non stop...

i mean what the hell is that..
true anderson needs to rectify a lil bit of hios action, true he has bowled a few bad balls but hasnt everyone even pollock has so really lets stop overusing him, hes still learning and maybe slowly he CAN develop into a world class fastmed

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Are you crazy craig? Anderson is the bowler with most potential in the English team by a mile. Dropping him would just make problems worse. And also, i'm with mxy. He doesn't need more cricket, he needs less. Anyone would be fatigued if you bowled the overs and played the amount he does. I feel the young mans done well.

Craig

World Traveller
Re: Re: Is it time James Anderson is dropped?

Rik said:

You obviously didnt read my post, so can you please read it again.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr. Ponting said:
Are you crazy craig? Anderson is the bowler with most potential in the English team by a mile. Dropping him would just make problems worse. And also, i'm with mxy. He doesn't need more cricket, he needs less. Anyone would be fatigued if you bowled the overs and played the amount he does. I feel the young mans done well.
So does Simon Jones, Stephen Harmison, Monde Zondeki, Tino Best but doesnt make them international standard bowlers.

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
exactly my point....

anderson is not a international standard bowler
YET but surely he has the superb potential to become one...

But just plucking him out of nowhere and using him nonstop is just plain idiotic

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
So does Simon Jones, Stephen Harmison, Monde Zondeki, Tino Best but doesnt make them international standard bowlers.
But for Zondeki, Best and Jones, you can't rightly say they aren't they've not played 10 Tests between them.

Top_Cat

Anderson is a real gem, and needs careful handling. We don't want our most promising young bowler burnt out within a few years!
Much like Darren Gough, really.

It happened to Shane Warne and is happening to Murali too; they're good so you use them and use them and use them etc. until their body gives up. Anderson is merely very tired right now. Another two years of this and he'll be more than just tired.

He's lucky he didn't play much heavy cricket until his late teens, though. He may get through this but if he plays any longer without a rest from cricket training AND matches, hell burn out just like all the rest.