• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* - Road to India in South Africa - 2010-11

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well i wont. I have already seen improvements in his game this year, in which he is playing inswinging deliveries much better than before. WHich was highlighted when facing Steyn & Malinga (although on flat pitches)

Such improvements could argue well for this SA tour when he has to face
Steyn on pitches which the ball will be moving alot. But i still suspect Steyn & co will expose him. All makes for one of the most exciting player (Steyn vs Sehwag) vs player matches in recent history, comparable to Tendy vs Warne, McGrath vs Lara

No one 'wants to bring down" anything Viru has done. Its just putting it into proper perspective. Plus i have seen Sehwag critqued on planetcricket.com & many other erudite cricket fans who dont go on cricketchat forums.
Fair enough, thanks for clarifying.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This series will suck and you know why?

lacks the world's best spinner, he plays for England.

England, England, England.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
You know Sehwag's doing well for himself when people want him to fail in "certain" places so that they can apply "certain" tags on him... :D :ph34r:
Not me..I consider him a great player already...if he gets a 100 or two in South Africa against a steamig Steyn/Morkel, my regard for him will only increase..if he doesnt..it wont decrease one bit..Same in the case of Tendulkar.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Bring it on.

None of the Indian batsmen barring Laxman (41) average over 40 in SA
To be fair i think none of the south african Batsman average over 40 against India in South Africa Except Kallis and Prince(who is unlikely to play,i think).

And there is reason for it. South Africa Vs India in South Africa for the last 2/3 tours atleast has been a low scoring series. Partially due to the time of the tour and also the fact that South Africa seek to prepare Pace Bowler friendly wickets against India to exploit there lack of pace bowlers. I doubt this would be the case if India had a decent pace attack.

And i do not know why this is used as a stick to beat down on Indian batsmen,when in fact in the same series south african batsmen are not doing much better themselves and that too facing a much ordinary attack.

Uppercut

They've pretty much always prepared pace-friendly wickets since readmission tbf. You guys don't get preferential treatment. Don't flatter yourselves :p.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah agree with Uppercut. They prepared pace friendly tracks when Australia toured in 2006 as well, when pace bowling is clearly a strength of Australia (it definitely was back then).

Can't remember the actual state of the pitches in 2009 though, for one reason or another. They produced 3 results though so I imagine they were reaosnably pace friendly. Feel free to correct me peeps.

Uppercut

India won on a seamer and lost on a subcontinental one IIRC.

South Africa often don't actually play that well on greentops.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yep, that Indian series was quite a weird one.

Spoken about it many times with my fellow Indian fans, but God that 3rd test in 2006 was a disgrace for India :(

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah agree with Uppercut. They prepared pace friendly tracks when Australia toured in 2006 as well, when pace bowling is clearly a strength of Australia (it definitely was back then).

Can't remember the actual state of the pitches in 2009 though, for one reason or another. They produced 3 results though so I imagine they were reaosnably pace friendly. Feel free to correct me peeps.
Kingsmead on the 2nd day definitely counts as pace-friendly.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Kingsmead on the 2nd day definitely counts as pace-friendly.
Ye for the AUS vs SA 09 series:

- 1st test @ Jo'Burg was bowler friendly.

- Dubran was for the majority then it flatted out on the final 2 days or so.

- FInal test was a road.

But although SA pitches usually are bowler friendly its hard to predict which grounds will do what based on past ENG & AUS tours to the country that i've seen in the past.

Looking @ the grounds that will be used for this test series.

- Centurion could be anything based on tests i've seen on the ground. It could be a road, a slow tuner or a greentop

- Durban definately will be seamer friendly.

- Capetown could be anything also. Road or a seamer

It all depends on what happens on the day really. But at least i would certainly expect SA to leave grass on all the surfaces to maximise home advantage.