• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where to now for Kenyan cricket?

Fiji-Bati

Cricket Spectator
The future is looking bleak for Kenyan cricket. They might be on the verge of losing their ODI status and could well struggle for a spot in the 2015 WC and from there could we see the slow death of Kenyan cricket?

They put in some dismal performances at the WCL and deservedly took out last place. They've had issues with players going on strike over money (which involved players blackmailing the KC board) and having lost the chance to host the U19 WC due to being under prepared also noting that their U19 side have failed to make the last 3/4 U19 WC's.

brockley

International Captain
The fact they haven't made the last 3/4 youth cups gotta effect your depth especially with players retiring.
Also vital players missing from the team makes it uncompetitive.
I think this will be their last world cup for a while,and soon they will lose their one day status they have 0 points on the one day table.
I mean ireland and holland are mid 30's.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
When assessing a smaller nation you have to look at structure and organisation. Unfortunately we all gave Kenya a huge amount of credit for a couple of good wins and a couple of good players. Again unfortunately, that is temporary and for a longtime Kenya has shown that it doesnt have the structures in place to have long term success.

brockley

International Captain
Think losing the world youth cup is a worry,it was not so long ago they held the icc kncout cup,seems to have gone backwards.
The players strike was infantile,the players should take what they can get games and money,because they are not setting the world on fire.
Even holland,scotland and ireland have less players under contract,not sure of afghanistans position but they should be paid.
Kenya still lacking enough game time against the big boys.

Jezroy

State Captain
Reckon it's gone personally, will be a historical curiosity in years to come.
Hate to say that I agree with that - imagine people in 10 years time really won't understand how they made the semis of 2003WC or beat the West Indies in 1996. REALLY glad they never got test status.

shivfan

Banned
Quite simply, cricket is not a popular sport in Kenya, and as a result this was always on the cards....

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Kenya need to look abroad and do all they can to get players such as Ragheb Aga and Seren Waters turning out for them on a regular basis.

At full strength they should be in the top 3 associates, not finishing last.

A team looking like this would be competitive.

Seren Waters
David Obuya
Collins Obuya
Steve Tikolo
Tanmay Mishra
Alex Obanda
Thomas Odoyo
Ragheb Aga
Nehemiah Odhiambo
Peter Ongondo
Hiren Varaiya.

brockley

International Captain
Your extremely hopeful,alvarez except maybe tikolo,btw is tikolo and odoya playing in zimbabwe this domestic season.
Kenya and afghanistan inter continetal,kenya already out of it,i am interested in the one dayers between the sides,afghanistan if win could go on the one day table,expect them to win asnd kenya to go negative on the one day table.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Your extremely hopeful,alvarez except maybe tikolo,btw is tikolo and odoya playing in zimbabwe this domestic season.
Kenya and afghanistan inter continetal,kenya already out of it,i am interested in the one dayers between the sides,afghanistan if win could go on the one day table,expect them to win asnd kenya to go negative on the one day table.
I know that Tikolo is, however im not sure about Odoyo. Waters has been consistently making runs for Surrey 2nd XI, but always seems to be unavailable due to uni commitments.

brockley

International Captain
Thanx,trying to follow any news of the zimby comp its interesting this year 2nd year of the franchises,could do with some more kenyan players to be honest,starts in september.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is pretty embarrassing for me to admit, but it'll perhaps exemplify the state of Kenyan cricket.

When I saw this thread I seriously forgot Kenya was one of the better 'non-test' playing nations. So much so I had look up the 2003 World Cup results to confirm whether they were the African team I was thinking of that made the World Cup semi-finals.

Now I'm a pretty huge cricket fan, but they have completely slipped off the radar of any form of international cricket to the point that I had forgotten about them and their achievements.

I will state also that I felt so guilty afterwards I chucked in some Cricket 2002 on PS2 and played as Kenya :cool:

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Kenya are pretty close to completely falling apart, to try and rebuild imo they should send some players to play in Zimbabwe or other countries systems to keep them getting some worthwhile games with a good support structure while they sort out their internal issues.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Kenya are pretty close to completely falling apart, to try and rebuild imo they should send some players to play in Zimbabwe or other countries systems to keep them getting some worthwhile games with a good support structure while they sort out their internal issues.
Already been done. Failed.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
This season's u19 lot look a handful. if they make the 2011 World cup there may yet be hope.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Some good news and seems like return to form for Kenya. First 2-1 Victory over Afghanistan and now they had a big win against UAE. Lets hope they keep improving for the future and come back to their old glory days and get the Test Status along with Ireland

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Comfortable 6 wicket win v UAE on Sunday as well. 2nd match is today. However they need to consistently defeat all the associate teams, particularly the Netherlands and Ireland.