• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World's Best Young Talent

Snippie

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Steulen said:
Don't know enough about upcoming youngsters to make an XI, but surely AB De Villiers will be one of the best cricketers around in a few years' time
I agree AB is definitely a brilliant prospect for the future! :D

Here's my XI - (Some of these I've only heard of or seen play a few times, but what I've seen/heard, has really impressed me.)

G Smith (SA) Cpt
D Smith (WI)
AB De Villiers (SA)
M Kaif (Ind)
I Farhat (Pak)
Y Sing(Ind)
B McCullum (NZ) - WK
I Pathan (Ind)
I Bell (Eng)
Cameron White (Aus)
F Edwards (WI)

(Don't know how balanced it is, but tried my best!)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Snippie said:
I agree AB is definitely a brilliant prospect for the future! :D

Here's my XI - (Some of these I've only heard of or seen play a few times, but what I've seen/heard, has really impressed me.)

G Smith (SA) Cpt
D Smith (WI)
AB De Villiers (SA)
M Kaif (Ind)
I Farhat (Pak)
Y Sing(Ind)
B McCullum (NZ) - WK
I Pathan (Ind)
I Bell (Eng)
Cameron White (Aus)
F Edwards (WI)

(Don't know how balanced it is, but tried my best!)
Maybe he hasn't shone with the bat lately, but surely Bell deserves a better look than that!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That was early in his career, and I'd only seen him against the West Indies then.
I just thought he was crap and didnt see why people were hyping him up so much. Even proper cricket sources started doing that and it all get very annoying. And then he missed that crucial stumping and the ground reality sunk into the selectors. Fans are any way jumping the gun.

I spoke around the period I had joined CW that Patel should be given a decent FC run and the common arguement was he will learn on the international stage and he is a young guy after all. :D

You had seen very little of him till then as you said.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Pratyush said:
I just thought he was crap and didnt see why people were hyping him up so much. Even proper cricket sources started doing that and it all get very annoying. And then he missed that crucial stumping and the ground reality sunk into the selectors. Fans are any way jumping the gun.

I spoke around the period I had joined CW that Patel should be given a decent FC run and the common arguement was he will learn on the international stage and he is a young guy from some people! :D

You had seen very little of him till then as you said.
I saw most of his early career - 3 of his first 5 Tests. I repeat, that's what I judged him on. At that time you can't honestly say he was a substandard 'keeper. He started well.

1% of the runs scored by the opposition in those first 5 Tests were byes.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I saw most of his early career - 3 of his first 5 Tests. I repeat, that's what I judged him on. At that time you can't honestly say he was a substandard 'keeper. He started well.
I can honestly say he was a substandard keeper based on his international performances. He was crap according to me.

Obvviously we differ on this view and there is no point arguing over it.

Last edited:

Snippie

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Maybe he hasn't shone with the bat lately, but surely Bell deserves a better look than that!
Maybe I was a bit harsh on him there (I only went on what I've heard of him the past year, as I haven't really seen him before then), if I put him in front of Farhat, how is it looking then?

G Smith (SA) Cpt
D Smith (WI)
AB De Villiers (SA)
M Kaif (Ind)
I Bell (Eng)
I Farhat (Pak)
Y Sing(Ind)
B McCullum (NZ) - WK
I Pathan (Ind)
Cameron White (Aus)
F Edwards (WI)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Pratyush said:
I can honestly say he was a substandard keeper based on his international performances. He was crap according to me.

Obvviously we differ on this view and there is no point arguing over it.
But what did he do wrong? If he did nothing wrong and yet "he was crap according to you", that's about as biased and ignorant as SupaFreak telling me "I think Gayle's crap"... "Why?"... "Because I don't like him".

The facts are that he kept well during that initial period, but if you want to hold the opinion that he was crap, so be it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The facts are that he kept well during that initial period, but if you want to hold the opinion that he was crap, so be it.
I did not say he kept poorly or well during a specific period. As you say you have seen 3 of his first 5 tests. Not all.

If you want you can put your opinion that he was a good keeper down to fewer experiences. I prefer basing my observations on a player after watching him more than that and I thought he was sub standard/crap.

Which is a fact.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
that's about as biased and ignorant as SupaFreak telling me "I think Gayle's crap"... "Why?"... "Because I don't like him".
I neither had nor have any thing against Patel. I felt he did not fit the bill. It was proven generally.

I think your alleging me being ignorant and biased are unwarranted and I do not base my comments on liking or not liking some one. It is based purely on watching him.

I will not resort to allegations however.

Last edited:

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
Half of the guys you all mention will be past retirement age 10 years from now. You'd have to consider only those younger than 25, really. I won't speculate much for now, but I would say that Shoaib Malik is likely to be a star for quite some time. Though his spin bowling hasn't improved all that much, his batting ability has sky rocketed. However, the best young player, of course, is Graeme Smith. He averages 54 and 40 in Tests and ODIs already, and he seems to be getting better as time goes on. He should prove to be one of the all-time greats once he's done.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Pratyush said:
I neither had nor have any thing against Patel. I felt he did not fit the bill. It was proven generally.

I think your alleging me being ignorant and biased are unwarranted and I do not base my comments on liking or not liking some one. It is based purely on watching him.

I will not resort to allegations however.
I never alleged you to be ignorant. Go back and read my post again.

My point is that whether or not he "fit the bill" in your mind, he didn't make many mistakes and thus was not a crap 'keeper at that stage.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Pratyush said:
I did not say he kept poorly or well during a specific period. As you say you have seen 3 of his first 5 tests. Not all.

If you want you can put your opinion that he was a good keeper down to fewer experiences. I prefer basing my observations on a player after watching him more than that and I thought he was sub standard/crap.

Which is a fact.
Ok. Here's the deal. My opinion was made a couple years ago when he had just arrived on the scene. It was based on what he had done to that point. Nothing else.

Now I don't believe I'm "arguing" with you, but for some reason you seem to be getting rather hyped and defensive about this. So with that in mind, I'm out. Discussion done.

Mr Mxyzptlk

AndrewM said:
Shane Bond
Current age 30 years 157 days

Care to explain?
I was purely referencing the post you quoted. Pssht. I had no intention of researching the facts.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
My point is that whether or not he "fit the bill" in your mind, he didn't make many mistakes and thus was not a crap 'keeper at that stage.
Parthiv Patel is a very much above average gloveman from what I've seen of him. He's also a useful lower order bat. Sigh.... gone are the days when wicketkeepers got any real acclaim for their 'keeping rather than their batting...
Your initial comment to which I said 'hmm' of him being above average is some thing I would not have stated just after 3-5 tests. You have saw and liked his keeping skills so made the comment adding 'from what I have seen'.

I would have a right to reserve judgement I suppose. I dont know how many tests he had played by the time you made your comment. I also dont know how many tests he had played by the time my initial apprehension of giving the gloves to a keeper who had played little FC cricket was proven true - much later than your comment I would think - by which time he was performing crappily.

I have nothing against Patel and I would have liked him to hone his skills in FC cricket for a few years and then make his international debut if he was good enough. Many people's arguement when he was performing poorly was - he is young and he will improve. Well the place to improve is FC cricket for a kind of mistakes Patel was making before he was finally dropped.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ok. Here's the deal. My opinion was made a couple years ago when he had just arrived on the scene. It was based on what he had done to that point. Nothing else.

Now I don't believe I'm "arguing" with you, but for some reason you seem to be getting rather hyped and defensive about this. So with that in mind, I'm out. Discussion done.
I am not hyped about this. Just making my point. :dry:

Neither do I believe that I am arguing wih you.

Cheers.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Just to add to that..You are not alone with that opinion there were ex-cricketers, those experts @ cricinfo as well who thought same in the early days of Patel :-

"Patel's glovework has varied from the competent to the shoddy - he was splendid in the home series against West Indies in 2002-03, but then struggled to inspire confidence thereafter, especially when standing up to the spinners"

Parthiv Ajay Patel - the kid with a safe pair of hands - cricinfo

His technique and feel for the ball are superb, as is his footwork behind the stumps.- cricinfo

Parthiv Patel has been a revelation - Erapalli Prasanna

Parthiv's reflexes, movement behind the stumps and gathering down the leg side, which is the blind zone for a wicket-keeper, are of a high quality - Farokh Engineer

"It is not just Engineer who gushes about the precocious Parthiv, the only left-hander among 31 'keepers who have represented India in Test cricket. Rodney Marsh, Wayne Phillips, Ian Smith, Kirmani and More are also impressed. Indeed, it was only after Marsh had spoken highly of Parthiv that he was picked ahead of Deep Dasgupta, Samir Dighe, Vijay Dahiya, Mannava Prasad and Nayan Mongia for the Test series in England." - Cricinfo

If someone thought that early that Parthiv was Crap, then obviously he is a bigger expert than Prasanna, Engineer, Kirmani, More etc..and obviously his talent is wasted on this forum. Someone should call up BCCI immidiately and let them know of this prodigy. :D

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
Just to add to that..You are not alone with that opinion there were ex-cricketers, those experts @ cricinfo as well who thought same in the early days of Patel :-

ABCDEFG

If someone thought that early that Parthiv was Crap, then obviously he is a bigger expert than Prasanna, Engineer, Kirmani, More etc..and obviously his talent is wasted on this forum. Someone should call up BCCI immidiately and let them know of this prodigy. :D
Really Sanz it wasnt worth the effort because:

I did not say Patel was crap after his first few tests.

Also thank you for the great advice any way. Really will be a tragic day when I start taking advice from a biased fool like you.