• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World's Best Young Talent

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I'm amazed by Courtney Walsh. When he retired, he was still at the top of his game. I think he took 25 wickets (?) against SA in his final series.

Yes, he had no pace, but he was still a formidable opponent, I watched most of it on TV. He was outstanding until the very end...

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
aah the good old days i loved watching ambrose and walsh bowl...it was just beautifuyl watching ambrose nearly kill batsman and walsh just beat them [hard]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lots of people open in one day games that wouldn't go near it in longer games.

SRT, Gilly and Neil Carter for example.

Craig

World Traveller
Well at least Shane Bond has a job with the New Zealand police force when he retires.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
P.Patel..!!? i wouldnt put him up as a youth for the future.. he hasnt done anything to show he is fully capable of being a star in the future yet..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Parthiv Patel is a very much above average gloveman from what I've seen of him. He's also a useful lower order bat. Sigh.... gone are the days when wicketkeepers got any real acclaim for their 'keeping rather than their batting...

V Reddy

International Debutant
lord_of_darkness said:
P.Patel..!!? i wouldnt put him up as a youth for the future.. he hasnt done anything to show he is fully capable of being a star in the future yet..
His keeping was superb against WI and nz :rolleyes: . Maybe he will get recognition after the Ind -AUS series which many will be watching.

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
he is only 17/18 he has considerable talent so surely hell be a world class batsman/wickie

speaking of yougsters i think alok kapali is pretty good but im not sure of his age i heard that he was very young but im not sure

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
kapalis a pretty good talent....actually come to think of it, the subcontinet quartet have all got good upcoming players coming up...hameed, saleh, kaif, kapali..the name of a good young lankan escapes me for now...

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Yuvraj will only ever be a good one day batsmen, i cant see him being a top Test player unlike Kaif.

Yuvraj was dropped from the Yorkshire team cos he was only averaging about 20 for them in a season which has favoured batting considerably.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SpaceMonkey said:
Yuvraj will only ever be a good one day batsmen, i cant see him being a top Test player unlike Kaif.

Yuvraj was dropped from the Yorkshire team cos he was only averaging about 20 for them in a season which has favoured batting considerably.
Kaif has not impressed me. He's been very inconsistent. Yuvraj has been this way too, but I still rate him higher from what I've seen of him.

Note that I never said that I rate Yuvraj as a better Test batsmam per se. I just said that I rate him higher overall. I can't see Kaif being a top Test batsman, but I may well be wrong.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Kaif & Yuvraj ain't that great...they've got a bit of talent but I wouldn't be surprised to see them overtaken by some of the Indian A or U19 players sooner or later.

They're in the side because they can field damn well..between them they can probably save about 20-30 runs a match & its well known that John Wright is a firm believer in saving runs in the field as much as scoring them with the bat.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
For Yorkshire, Yuvraj has played 7 FC matches (12 innings) and returned an average of 14.50..and the fact that he managed to score one fifty probably saved his average from going below 10.

Thats an incredibly poor return for an international player in County Cricket & I bet Yorkshire will be spewing with the amount of money they;re probably shelling out to him.

And in 9 OD matches he's only averaged 21.

V Reddy

International Debutant
But take into account the no of matches Yuvraj has won for India. He scored about 14 fifties and 1 hundred and in 14 matches out of 15 India has won and in all those matches he scored them when India was in trouble. The counties don't matter if he scores for India. Sachin too didn't have a great time either for Yorkshire.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
For starters his ODI average is just over 30 and he's only scored 1 century..to be fair to him he usually bats 5 or 6, but in 63 innings he's only had 10 not outs and thats not that great for a batsmen who bats that far down the order.