• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Same Numbers of Letters In Surname Teams

Jezroy

State Captain
Heard this game being played on the radio the other day in Rugby Union context and thought it might be a bit of fun on here with cricket players. They had to fill up a team entirely of players with a 4 letter last name. So the idea is to pick a number, and then find 11 players. I know this may get tricky with some subcontinent players - ie. is Imran Khan "Imran", or "Khan"?

I'll stick with 4 letters in the last name.

Let's see...

David Boon
Hashim Amla
Younis Khan
Brian Lara
JF Reid
Imran Khan
JR Reid
Moin Khan
Shane Bond
Wes Hall
Bishan Bedi

Great bowling attack with Bond, Hall, Khan, and Bedi (plus JR Reid the all rounder).

Struggled to find 2 openers - thought of using Cook but then realised Boon did open for Australia (36 of his 107 games - average as opener 45.06), and thought Amla was a better option to open than Cook.

Also thought of picking Lawrence Rowe to open - then found out he had an allergy to grass?!?!?

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
I will do with 6 letters... [ Recent players only ]

Matthew Hayden
Virender Sehwag
Rahul Dravid
Jacques Kallis
Mohammad Yousuf
Graham Thorpe
Andrew Flower [ + ]
Heath Streak
Anil Kumble [ c ]
Allan Donald
Waqar Younis

12th man : Jonty Rhodes
13th man : Chris Cairns

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS

G. Pollock
Trumper
Bradman
Ponting
Hammond
S. Pollock
Boucher
Larwood
Holding
Ambrose
McGrath

Himannv

International Coach

Barry Richards
Sunil Gavaskar
Viv Richards
Greg Chappell
A.B de Villiers
Aubrey Faulkner
Ray Lindwall
Alan Davidson
Jack Blackham+
Malcolm Marshall
Clarrie Grimmett

Could have had Amarnath and Engineer in there as well..

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

1. GAVASKAR Sunil
  2. RICHARDS Barry
  3. RICHARDS Vivian
  4. CHAPPELL Greg
  5. FAULKNER Aubrey
  6. ENGINEER Farroukh
  7. LINDWALL Raymond
  8. MARSHALL Malcolm
  9. GRIMMETT Clarrie
  10. PRASANNA Erapalli

I took Engineer ahead of Blackham and Oldfield as the keeper because of his superior battin g. He was a terrific keeper as well.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's see...

David Boon
Hashim Amla
Younis Khan
Brian Lara
JF Reid
Imran Khan
JR Reid
Moin Khan
Shane Bond
Wes Hall
Bishan Bedi

Great bowling attack with Bond, Hall, Khan, and Bedi (plus JR Reid the all rounder).

Struggled to find 2 openers - thought of using Cook but then realised Boon did open for Australia (36 of his 107 games - average as opener 45.06), and thought Amla was a better option to open than Cook.

Also thought of picking Lawrence Rowe to open - then found out he had an allergy to grass?!?!?
Would have Les Ames or Wasim Bari to keep wickets ahead of Moin Khan. Also maybe consider Clem Hill and Chaminda Vaas? Interesting idea to draft a team though!

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
5 - got a bit desperate though.

Hobbs
Anwar
Hunte
Grace
Lloyd
Waugh
Imran
Knott
Wasim
Warne
Waqar

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Heh, I love quirky threads like these. They're what keeps CC interesting. Good job, Jezroy!

A 5-letter side
Jack HOBBS
Graeme SMITH
W.G. GRACE
Martin CROWE
Clive LLOYD (captain)
Steve WAUGH
Alan KNOTT (wicket-keeper)
Wasim AKRAM
Shane WARNE
Frank TYSON
Dale STEYN

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Here is one with SIX letters. The bowling would give sleepless nights to any batting side and they do bat deep

1. HUTTON Len
  2. MANKAD Vinoo
  3. HARVEY Neil
  4. HAZARE Vijay
  5. SOBERS Gary
  6. FLOWER Andy (k)
  7. MILLER Keith
  8. HADLEE Richard
  9. LILLEE Dennis
  10. TURNER Charlie (CTB)
  11. BARNES Syd F

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
The 7-letter Ashes

England
Geoffrey BOYCOTT
Andrew STRAUSS
Walter HAMMOND
Patsy HENDREN
Denis COMPTON
Maurice LEYLAND
Alec STEWART (wicket-keeper)
Harold LARWOOD
Frederick TRUEMAN
Brian STATHAM
Alfred "Tich" FREEMAN

Vs. Australia
Ian REDPATH
Victor TRUMPER
Donald BRADMAN
Doug WALTERS
Archie JACKSON
Lindsay HASSETT (captain)
Jack GREGORY
Hugh TRUMBLE
Gil LANGLEY (wicket-keeper)
BIll O'REILLY (I'm guessing he counts?)
Glenn McGRATH

Bloody hell, that was way harder than i thought it would be!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
For FIVE letters I might go with
  1. GRACE WG
  2. HOBBS Jack
  3. RANJI KS
  4. DRAVID Rahul
  5. KANHAI Rohan
  6. NOBLE Monty
  7. IMRAN Khan
  8. EVANS/KNOTT (K)
  9. WASIM Akram
  10. LAKER Jim
  11. BRIGGS Johnny

If there is objection to Imran (because of the surnames of Muslim's confusion) I might put Kapil in his place. If even that is denied, then Walsh at 11 and mpve everyone from keeper downwards up a spot. :-)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
  1. GRACE WG
  2. HOBBS Jack
  3. RANJI KS
  4. DRAVID Rahul
  5. KANHAI Rohan
  6. NOBLE Monty
  7. IMRAN Khan
  8. EVANS/KNOTT (K)
  9. WASIM Akram
  10. LAKER Jim
  11. BRIGGS Johnny

If there is objection to Imran (because of the surnames of Muslim's confusion) I might put Kapil in his place. If even that is denied, then Walsh at 11 and mpve everyone from keeper downwards up a spot. :-)
Dravid, Briggs and Kanhai have six letters unless you can have the same letter twice and it counts as only one - in which case you can't have Hobbs.

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
  1. GRACE WG
  2. HOBBS Jack
  3. RANJI KS
  4. DRAVID Rahul
  5. KANHAI Rohan
  6. NOBLE Monty
  7. IMRAN Khan
  8. EVANS/KNOTT (K)
  9. WASIM Akram
  10. LAKER Jim
  11. BRIGGS Johnny

I don't mean to be rude, but doesn't Briggs, Dravid and Kanhai have six letters? And Ranji is Ranjitsinji? (sp) And no Warne?

Good side though, several genuine all-rounders and capable batting all the way down to No.11 (Believe Briggs made a test ton?)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Heard this game being played on the radio the other day in Rugby Union context and thought it might be a bit of fun on here with cricket players. They had to fill up a team entirely of players with a 4 letter last name. So the idea is to pick a number, and then find 11 players. I know this may get tricky with some subcontinent players - ie. is Imran Khan "Imran", or "Khan"?

I'll stick with 4 letters in the last name.

Let's see...

David Boon
Hashim Amla
Younis Khan
Brian Lara
JF Reid
Imran Khan
JR Reid
Moin Khan
Shane Bond
Wes Hall
Bishan Bedi

How about this one . .

1. MEAD Phil
  2. KHAN Majid
  3. LARA Brian
  4. HILL Clem
  5. ROWE Lawrence
  6. AMES Les (k)
  7. KHAN Imran
  8. TATE Maurice
  9. SNOW John
  10. HALL Wes
  11. BEDI Bishen

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I don't mean to be rude, but doesn't Briggs, Dravid and Kanhai have six letters? And Ranji is Ranjitsinji? (sp) And no Warne?

Good side though, several genuine all-rounders and capable batting all the way down to No.11 (Believe Briggs made a test ton?)
You are not being rude my dear just reminding me to check what else is going wrong at my age :-)

Let me correct them.