• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Same Numbers of Letters In Surname Teams

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
So... can anyone make up a team that Muralitharan can go in? ;)
I'm not even sure you can. I've looked through, and I can only see eight decent test players (Actually a couple probably even that) with 12-letter surnames. Maybe if you did 12 letters or more.

Anyway, the 11-letter side
Marcus TRESCOTHICK
Stan WORTHINGTON
Mahela JAYAWARDENE
Paul COLLINGWOOD
Shivnarine CHANDERPAUL
Thilan SAMARAWEERA
Prasanna JAYAWARDENE (wicket-keeper)
Learie CONSTANTINE
Raymond ILLINGWORTH
Richard ILLINGWORTH

...Ach, I give up. There's a few other batsmen, but as far as I can find no decent bowlers.

P.S. Neil, I think Duleepsinjhi and Inzamam-ul-HQ are missing from your list?

stumpski

International Captain
3 Letters

AF Rae
SS Das
P Roy
CB Fry (c)
PBH May
RWT Key
B Lee
PK Sen (wk)
CM Old
Umar Gul
A Nel

A lot more to choose from than I first thought, I really ought to have remembered PBH. Pretty handy pace attack there actually.

pskov

International 12th Man
Since I seem to have arrived late to the party and all the sensible numbers of letters have already been done, thought I do something different.

Each player has one letter less in their surname than the guy batting above them or vice-versa for the second team:

Hathurusingha
Paranavitana
Jayawardene*
Sangakkara+
Tendulkar
Richards
Boucher+
Hadlee
Warne
Bond
Gul

Das
Boon
Grace
Kallis
Pollock
Flintoff
Gilchrist+
Kasprowicz
Constantine
Muralitharan
Chandrasekhar

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Since I seem to have arrived late to the party and all the sensible numbers of letters have already been done, thought I do something different.

Each player has one letter less in their surname than the guy batting above them or vice-versa for the second team:

Hathurusingha
Paranavitana
Jayawardene*
Sangakkara+
Tendulkar
Richards
Boucher+
Hadlee
Warne
Bond
Gul

Das
Boon
Grace
Kallis
Pollock
Flintoff
Gilchrist+
Kasprowicz
Constantine
Muralitharan
Chandrasekhar
Super !!

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
Heh, I love quirky threads like these. They're what keeps CC interesting. Good job, Jezroy!

A 5-letter side
Jack HOBBS
Graeme SMITH
W.G. GRACE
Martin CROWE
Clive LLOYD (captain)
Steve WAUGH
Alan KNOTT (wicket-keeper)
Wasim AKRAM
Shane WARNE
Frank TYSON
Dale STEYN
This is probably the best side mentioned.

I was thinking my 7 letter team would be:

Graeme Pollock - Vice Captain
George Headley
Sir Donald Bradman
Ricky Ponting - Captain
Alec Stewart - Wicket-Keeper
Malcolm Marshall
Tim Bresnan (My Favorite Player, So I'm Sticking Him In There)
Shakib al-Hasan
Curtly Ambrose
Shaun Pollock
Fred Trueman

Yeah just some food for thought. S. Pollock, Ambrose, and Trueman are actually really under-rated, but have been some of the best 400+ wicket-takers. Stewart has averaged around 35 over 100+ test and has dismissed more than a bucket full of wickets as a keeper.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
IS Harbhajan his surname then? Sorry, I kind of assumed it was Singh.
You are right of course. But one tends to use the way the names are listed on the stats sides for this. Not ideal way I agree and bound to lead to confusion.

Kapil Dev, for example is listed under 'K' and some may use him for the five alphabet side. Others may want to use Dev. His real surname, of course, is Nikhanj which he doesn't use normally.

Sikhs (all 25 million of them), like Harbhajan and yours truly, have a common given name of Singh and many use it as their surname as was intended by the tenth guru of the Sikhs. Of course most continue with their original. pre Sikhism surname like Bedi for Bishen Singh. Others like myself (Issar) do not use it and Singh has become the surname by default.

It is confusing I agree :-)

There is a big confusion with Muslim names. People keep arguing but to the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as a Muslim surname thus a father's name could be completely different from the son's but in most families people try to have the second name same as the father's which has been taken by many as a 'surname'.

I suspect Harbhajan has a surname too (as does our prime minister (Manmohan Singh). some research might yield it :-)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
How good it is to see you posting SJS...

Trust you've been well and happy.
Thanks mate.

I am well though not in a great frame of mind. My mother is very critically ill and it looks like this time she may not be able to fight her cancer. Part of the reason of my posting maybe to take my mind off it . . .