• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL4 Auction

brockley

International Captain
Comes up in september will be interested how it goes and who will be the new players in the auction and who will miss out.
120 overseas players to be signed for 10 clubs.
Clubs get to keep 3 overseas players and 3 locals from last year,fair whack when you think about it.
World cup and clt20 seen as recruiting ground for the sides.
Question will pakistan players be signed by bcci or pcb allowing it.
See kolkarta knights signed mohamad irfan.
Discuss.

Jayzamann

International Regular
I'd really <3 to see Pakistani players considered in this draft.

Or, at least, have one or two teams go against whatever gentlemen's agreement and bid on the likes of Amir/Asif/Akmal at the 11th hour for mega cheaps.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is it a requirement to keep your 'trump' player? Not so sure KKR would want to continue with Ganguly :(

outbreak

First Class Debutant
WIll be interesting but the way their making teams clean house just shows to me how much of a farce the whole comp is. How can you support a team when the majority of the squad is wiped every few seasons? I guess i'll wait and see if thats how it plays out or if teams try to bid on players they've had to put up for auction because of limits. I still don't think they should have introduced new teams into the comp either and they should look at increasing the amount of internationals per team as the standard is pretty low in this comp and i think the local indian domestic players don't cut it in most cases.

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
I'd rather see the IPL run like most other sports leagues. Each team has a budget cap, and then they pay whomever they what however much they want for however long they want to make their teams. The IPL is a great concept and brilliant to watch, but it just needs to become more of a business in this sense than it is right now. Wiping teams defeats the point of teams sometimes really. When I look at my favorite baseball team, I see a couple of players who have been there and are signed to be there for a couple of years, and how they can carry the team. It's harder for me, as someone living outside India, to support an Indian city's team if their players are jigsawed every year. There's no point in really following it then if that's the case, or at least it takes a lot of emotion out of it for me. Now I know SOME players don't move teams much but I'd like to see the league more free flowing in the sense that there's contracts that teams can sign for multiple years and trade players and what not. It is still a fun fun league to follow, but I'd just like to see it open up in the terms of managerial demands by the system on the teams as well as the skill. Alas though if you do it like the IPL does now with the auction, it makes it slightly more unpredictable in the sense that the teams that win will be more varied, but it means that historic dynasties are hard to come by, so I guess in the end you really pick your poison. Oh well, I'm all for Shane Warne's team (which I think is going to be the Royals again) come IPL 4.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
I'd think most people support the teams that have their favourite players, and perhaps players they didn't know or like become new favourites. If my favourite players move to other teams then why support my current team? Personally i don't support any team in the IPL i just follow the players individual performances that i like.

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
I'd think most people support the teams that have their favourite players, and perhaps players they didn't know or like become new favourites. If my favourite players move to other teams then why support my current team? Personally i don't support any team in the IPL i just follow the players individual performances that i like.
Yeah but it's a team sport so you know I feel more enclined to follow a team. Plus all the things that make a sport is my team is better than yours blah blah blah. It's harder to be "well in 2007 I supported Mumbai but in 08 I supported the Kings XI and in 09 the Royals" it just sounds silly. Plus there's when I go to buy a bloomy jersey, I do so because I like the team. Making it such a jumble makes it hard to. I want an IPL jersey badly but I'm so indecisive but I can't choose on a team then because they all change them as quickly as I chance underpants.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hmm, then again, I guess it's the nature of the beast with the way that the auctions and contracts are conducted.

Anyway, will be interesting to see, from an Australian point of view, if Michael Clarke nominates himself and gets picked up by anyone. Reckon Warney might try and save his bacon.

brockley

International Captain
I'd say he would vic 120 players overseas wise,question is will he and johnson will be available.
You putting your name forward vic?

brockley

International Captain
Don't think so.
Johnson maybe up for a million tho.
I would guess clarke 600 thou.
Unfair 8 teams get to keep 6 players tho.
There is a rumour shahid afridi was banned for playing for the redbacks in the clt20,if so not hopeful on pakistani players.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Spudsy i think you missed my point or i've missed yours. I agree with you that i would like to follow a club but with the players shuffling it defeats the purpose so im left supporting players not clubs.

I think warnie said he wasn't playing this IPL didn't he? Just coaching i heard.