• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rome wasn't built in a day

twiy

Cricket Spectator
Rome wasn’t built in a day

Pakistan are going about building their team strength the right way despite losing the 2nd test match. The slow strike rate by the Pakistani batsmen must be seen as a positive and they must continue to bat in the same manner to improve regardless of results in this series. The tried and tested method is to go out there and try to score quick runs, which in the case of Pakistani batsmen only leads to their downfall. We always hear captains say improvements don’t happen over night. But do we really understand this statement? I think not. This is because the same mistakes have been happening over and over for the last 4-5 years. The key to gaining confidence is by spending as much time as possible in the middle, this cannot be replicated in any training sessions or methods. But we hardly ever see these plans being deployed. If Pakistani batsmen continue to stay in and not worry much about the runs, sooner than later the confidence will grow, they will start to believe in themselves that they can indeed stick it out and be very good at it, they will have learnt the patience game in test cricket which has been missing for far too long in the mindset of Pakistani batsmen.

The batsmen make the same mistakes over and over again, not learning from mistakes is a stupid and good bowlers will make batsmen pay for that stupidity. The slow strike rate in Pakistanis first innings would usually be criticized only for Pakistan to come out in the 2nd innings to try and be aggressive only for them to get them selves out again. Where is the learning in that? Where is the plan? Where is the commitment to improve? It’s just going around in a circle. This approach of slow batting will help Pakistan improve and they must keep doing it, its better to lose in a fashion where you are trying your hardest to learn and improve rather than losing due to the same mistakes happening over and over again, there is no sense in that. That indeed would be as a Pakistani coach recently said, “ ********”. We know Pakistani batsmen lack patience and concentration, and up until now I have not seen them try to work on this. I wish for the sake of Pakistan cricket, the PCB, Salman Butt and Waqar Younis will persist with this batting line up and encourage the batsmen to stick to the plan. We already know that putting extra pressure on batsmen doesn’t work. If they have to worry about their place in the team, it will affect their performance, Lets give them a long undisturbed run, lets take the Australian approach of sticking behind the players. Rome wasn’t built in a day, but the Romans had a plan and they stuck to it, and once they got the hang of it…they conquered the world.

Matt79

Global Moderator
It's good to take some positives out of the performance today, but in fairness to disgruntled fans, when asking for patience, it is helpful if you display some signs of at least trying to learn from past mistakes and remedy them. Hopefully as you say, this performance is something that they can build on and begin to actually develop.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't mind players not yet being equipped/talented enough. That will come you'd hope, provided there is some stability.

I get upset when there is no backbone/patience/ability to dig in.

Hence why Ajmal's performance yesterday almost brought a tear to my eye as a cricket fan. To see a tailender who bowled his heart out to get a 5-for, but was let down by his batsman, and in a situation where the match was basically dead and buried, to cop blow after blow and battle on, was seriously inspiring.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good post.

The fielding and catching is still appalling however and shows no sign of improvement and the article on cricinfo about their attitude in training during fielding drills was shocking.

Matt79

Global Moderator
To a degree, backbone and patience are no more inborn than being skilled and talented. You do ultimately either have it in you or not, but most people would develop it much faster and more successfully with a good role model and coaching. Looking at players like Steve Waugh and Ian Healy, they were selected based partially on an assessment of their character (having that mental toughness to be a test cricketer), but they undoubtedly were helped enormously by having Allan Border and Bob Simpson there to provide a positive role model, and to drill those standards into them.

I've no doubt many of the young Pakistani players come into the game with enormous heart and determination, but its easy to lose your way if the team culture is dysfunctional and divided against itself.

Himannv

International Coach
Rome certainly wasn't built in a day, but this is not Rome we're talking about, this is Pakistan. Pakistan have always had some of the most talented players around and on their day can probably beat the living daylights out of anyone. On a different day they'll be bowled out for 72, but thats the way they are.

I'm a firm believer of players playing their natural game and using their talent. Look at what its done for the likes of Sehwag, Dilshan, Gilchrist and perhaps even Afridi. Sure, its not the most effective way to sort a problem but it sure makes for some entertaining cricket. Try telling Shahid Afridi to play forward defence for 5 days (probably why he resigned anyway). Let them play the way only they can.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but Pakistan can be both built and dismantled within the space of a few sessions and thats just the way it is.

tooextracool

International Coach
Rome may not have been built in one day but you can guarantee that it wasnt built with cheap bricks.

I would be very surprised if Butt, Farhat, Malik and Amin were amongst the top 7 batsmen in the country, even when you exclude MoYo and Younis. Certainly their selection demands a hearing because its none of them are good enough to play cricket for Pakistan and yet are constantly part of the side (with the exception of Amin who as I've said before is marginally better than a number 8)

vcs

Pakistan's batting is struggling in a big way but I don't think they deserve to be completely written off either... I remember India with Sachin, Dravid, Azhar and Ganguly getting bowled out for 100 and 66 in Durban in '96. These conditions are alien to them and the English bowlers are excellent at exploiting them.

Uppercut

In all fairness they've generally applied themselves pretty well while batting. If anything they've been too desperate not to fail. 30-ball ducks aren't the type of innings played by batsmen who just doesn't care enough.

Commentators generally try to blame collapses and tactics, always claiming that either they've batted irresponsibly or too negatively. But the truth is that their tactics are almost irrelevant because England's bowling is just too good for them. They can apply themselves all they want, they can't exactly grow the ability to play a fired-up Jimmy Anderson on a cloudy day in Nottingham overnight.

Their attitude towards fielding practice is an absolute disgrace though.

Top_Cat

In all fairness they've generally applied themselves pretty well while batting. If anything they've been too desperate not to fail. 30-ball ducks aren't the type of innings played by batsmen who just doesn't care enough.

Commentators generally try to blame collapses and tactics, always claiming that either they've batted irresponsibly or too negatively. But the truth is that their tactics are almost irrelevant because England's bowling is just too good for them. They can apply themselves all they want, they can't exactly grow the ability to play a fired-up Jimmy Anderson on a cloudy day in Nottingham overnight.

Their attitude towards fielding practice is an absolute disgrace though.
Yep. Take control of what you can and fielding is one of those things. You might not be able to play swing very well or have blokes who can bowl 90mph but you can at least make it hard for batters by improving your fielding. Has a heap of positive run-on effects too.