• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest cricketers since 1980

bagapath

International Captain
Border should be at level 1.
I know. he continues to be one of my heroes for close to 30 years. grit. blood. sweat. never say die spirit. but, while he achieved as much in test cricket as the other six guys in level 1, his playing style kind of puts him a fraction below the all round brilliance of the other master batsmen. border relied a lot on his bread and butter shots - the pull, the cut and the sweep. no flourish. no pomp. no magic. of course, i would love to have him bat for my life. more than anyone else in the world. but he didn't take the art of batting to another level like lara or sachin or viv. as we go higher and higher up the ladder it should get tougher and tougher. border misses out level 1 by a whisker.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There are very few batsmen with whom it's a joke to compare Sehwag with and Sangakkara certainly isn't one of them.

bagapath

International Captain
Sehwag's bad has been apallingly bad, compared to Sanga. Who averages 34+ in every country. Sehwag has sub 30 averages in some conditions.

Still, Sehwag over Sanga is a joke, and a player who has not sub 40 averages in four countries cannot be in the same category with Dravid.

wud love to see ur rankings migara

bagapath

International Captain
had a nice long break from work. and cricketweb as always is a fun place to relax. have to go away for a while again after tomorrow. will post my bowling list tomorrow and vanish.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I know. he continues to be one of my heroes for close to 30 years. grit. blood. sweat. never say die spirit. but, while he achieved as much in test cricket as the other six guys in level 1, his playing style kind of puts him a fraction below the all round brilliance of the other master batsmen. border relied a lot on his bread and butter shots - the pull, the cut and the sweep. no flourish. no pomp. no magic. of course, i would love to have him bat for my life. more than anyone else in the world. but he didn't take the art of batting to another level like lara or sachin or viv. as we go higher and higher up the ladder it should get tougher and tougher. border misses out level 1 by a whisker.
Fair enough, given that it's your list, but in terms of toughing it out against the best attacks world cricket had to offer, in a piss poor team for a lot of his career, you don't get much tougher than Border. Of the rest of your level one, only Lara has done similar.

Sir Alex

Banned
Fair enough, given that it's your list, but in terms of toughing it out against the best attacks world cricket had to offer, in a piss poor team for a lot of his career, you don't get much tougher than Border. Of the rest of your level one, only Lara has done similar.
Sachin too.. esp from his debut till about 2001..

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yeah, mentioning Sachin as soon as the names Poontang or Lara are mentioned. Flavor of the month.

bagapath

International Captain
Greatest bowlers since 1980

Level 1

Malcolm Marshall
Glenn Mcgrath
Shane Warne
Mutthiah Muralitharan
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee

Level 2

Dennis Lillee
Curtley Ambrose
Joel Garner
Michael Holding
Wasim Akram
Allan Donald
Ian Botham
Waqar Younis
Dale Steyn

Level 3

Shaun Pollock
Courtney Walsh
Anil Kumble
Saqlain Mushtaq
Craig Mcdermott
Kapil Dev
Iqbal Qasim
Bob Willis
Ian Bishop
Bruce Reid

Level 4

Jason Gillespie
Abdul Qadir
Merv Hughes
Chaminda Vaas
Shoab Akhthar
Harbhajan Singh
Makhaya Ntini
Darren Gough
Chris Cairns
Stuart Mcgill

Dissector

International Debutant
Personally I would put Ambrose in 1, Warne in 2 , Botham in 3, Iqbal Qasim in 4 and Shoaib Akhtar in 3.

Wasim Akram and Waqar in level 2 is just wrong..they are every bit as good as anyone in level 1....Shaun Pollock should at least be in level 2....