• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Rowdy" Ryder in trouble again.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I love Ryder, such a character. Unfortunate for him that he plays in the wrong era in which your every move is followed and reported.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Although being from a relatively weak country, they'll persist with him, one day he'll "write" an autobiography to behold

Jezroy

State Captain
Ah well, you come to expect this everytime he's rehabbing an injury.
He was in a squad playing indoor cricket.

Think it was his birthday too.

Highlights the difference though between someone who likes a drink and someone with a drinking problem.

Most people who like a drink won't get themselves into this kind of trouble.

Or take on toilet windows.

Flem274*

123/5
Can we just pick him anyway?

My conscience and moral code can only take so many middle order collapses.

Jezroy

State Captain

My brain says "I don't care if the guy is alcoholic or not" - if he turns up and scores runs it doesn't really bother me what he does in his spare time.

But reality is that his lack of discipline has taken him out of the scene before (toilet window incident), and could well have contributed to his most recent layoff (not saying drinking, saying his lack of discipline.

But the thing that really worries me is if you were Guptill/Williamson/Watling/an upcoming player putting in the hard yards, wouldn't it **** you off that this very talented guy was breaking team protocols and curfews (presumably), and just turning up and scoring runs anyway. What worries me is his negative impact on the team.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
From tvnz website
Troubled Black Caps batsman Jesse Ryder will have his current contract torn up and re-written by New Zealand Cricket.

Ryder has been charged with serious misconduct by New Zealand Cricket after a complaint was laid against the group he was drinking with at a Christchurch hotel last month.

New Zealand Cricket General Manager Geoff Allott says his penalty will include specific rules around drinking.

However, Allott refused to say exactly what those rules would be.
If the rules for drinking are too harsh this may be the end of Jesse.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Highlights the difference though between someone who likes a drink and someone with a drinking problem.
Thats quite well put. Obviously this particular incident is not so serious in isolation but after his past indiscretions I can see why NZC have taken the stance they have.

Jezroy

State Captain
From tvnz website

If the rules for drinking are too harsh this may be the end of Jesse.
Na - at worst he would just not get a central contract. He would still get a Wellington contract plus whatever match payments he got.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
You might be right but it would be the end of his NZ career. I could see them putting in restrictions similar to the Andrew Symonds restrictions like no drinking in public. And then some fringe player on the team like Hopkins will dobb him in for having a quiet one after a tour game somewhere in India. And that will be all she wrote.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think if it was anyone else - then yes, not such a big deal.

But a guy with a well documented alcohol problem? I don't think any incident can be underestimated.
The guy does have a problem but he did immediately own up to this and bring it the board's attention. Nor does it specify that he was doing anything naughty besides drinking with some rowdy boys. The guy hasn't been banned from alcohol AFAIK.

Jezroy

State Captain
The guy does have a problem but he did immediately own up to this and bring it the board's attention. Nor does it specify that he was doing anything naughty besides drinking with some rowdy boys. The guy hasn't been banned from alcohol AFAIK.
Na. If he had been banned from alcohol he would have been long gone. I just hope the guy can turn it around. Not just for fans of this NZ team. But for himself. It would be sad to see any of his talent going to waste because of the issues he has.

Rant0r

International 12th Man

Haha, wicked, but i'd agree

My brain says "I don't care if the guy is alcoholic or not" - if he turns up and scores runs it doesn't really bother me what he does in his spare time.

But reality is that his lack of discipline has taken him out of the scene before (toilet window incident), and could well have contributed to his most recent layoff (not saying drinking, saying his lack of discipline.

But the thing that really worries me is if you were Guptill/Williamson/Watling/an upcoming player putting in the hard yards, wouldn't it **** you off that this very talented guy was breaking team protocols and curfews (presumably), and just turning up and scoring runs anyway. What worries me is his negative impact on the team.
Unfortunately this is an elite level of cricket, someone with his obvious talents will be given every opportunity over a less talented player who works hard, that's just a fact. Ricky Ponting got thrown out of a Sydney nightclub with 2 black eyes once, but he's Ricky Ponting.