• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question to NZ fans

Sir Alex

Banned
Chanced upon the profile of this chap

Alex Tait | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

Apparently, the guy played 5 ODIs, returned respectable figures of 3 @ 29 @ 4.4 and vanished!

What's more interesting is that the guy has taken 134 wickets in FC @ 20 and 141 List A wickets @ 24.64! And apparently he played his last FC game in 2000 at an age of 28!

Can someone tell me what happened to this guy? Why he was never considered for NZ squads previously or after that considering his blisteringly good domestic records?

Not a bad FC batting avg as well, 26.

Jezroy

State Captain
He was a very military medium pace and I think he would have been found out on any decent pitches against international batsmen.

He once took four wickets in an over in a domestic limited overs final as well. Great performer for ND. Don't think he played too much more for ND after he played for NZ.

Seems to have retired about 28 - I think he played golf after cricket?

Don't know why he retired so soon?

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
^ Yup, Jezroy's pretty much on the money. Tait was effectively a 'Gavin Larsen type' bowler, of slow-medium/medium pace but was extremely accurate & from memory got a little bit of movement off the seam meaning he was ideally suited to NZ wickets, particularly in the late 1990s. FTR, he's a professional golfer these days.

Jezroy

State Captain
Just doing research into this... looks like he didn't get an injury that ended it or anything. He just gave up cricket for golf by the looks.

hkjain

Cricket Spectator
Just doing research into this... looks like he didn't get an injury that ended it or anything. He just gave up cricket for golf by the looks.
He might have lost interest (may be career) and gone towards golf. Anyway I would too go to golf if such happens.