• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yousuf to arrive to England following drama...

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I don't know how Raza Hasan has been picked ahead of a number of spinners in Pak...its quite messed up...and he has played only 2 fc level games i think..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't know how Raza Hasan has been picked ahead of a number of spinners in Pak...its quite messed up...and he has played only 2 fc level games i think..
He was supposed to play against James Hart this weekend in club cricket; Pakistan didn't want him ruined forever by belting Hart would've given him so they sneakily added him to the Test squad to make him unavailable on Saturday. Good move.

Faisal1985

He was supposed to play against James Hart this weekend in club cricket; Pakistan didn't want him ruined forever by belting Hart would've given him so they sneakily added him to the Test squad to make him unavailable on Saturday. Good move.
Have you seen him play? I have no idea what kind of spinner he is compared to Kaneria or Ajmal?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Have you seen him play? I have no idea what kind of spinner he is compared to Kaneria or Ajmal?
I'm pretty sure I saw him bowl in the Under 19 World Cup. If it's the guy I'm thinking of I was very impressed (I actually made a post on the forum about him at the time IIRC). Classic left arm spinner with a good action - tosses it up and gives it a fair rip. Think of Murali Kartik (although hopefully with less of a tendency to massively choke :p).

Not that this means he's Test standard or anything.. I think he's probably just been picked to give him some experience around the squad. If Ajmal gets injured then Kaneria's still in the country so he can be called back up; I don't think the selectors have any intention of playing Hasan, but doing it this way allows Kaneria to get some match practice if he's going to come back into the team and also gives a kid a chance to train with the big boys.

Plus, as I said, they've now saved him from the otherwise inevitable James Hart bludgeoning he was about to receive... :p

Faisal1985

I'm pretty sure I saw him bowl in the Under 19 World Cup. If it's the guy I'm thinking of I was very impressed (I actually made a post on the forum about him at the time IIRC). Classic left arm spinner with a good action - tosses it up and gives it a fair rip. Think of Murali Kartik (although hopefully with less of a tendency to massively choke :p).

Not that this means he's Test standard or anything.. I think he's probably just been picked to give him some experience around the squad. If Ajmal gets injured then Kaneria's still in the country so he can be called back up; I don't think the selectors have any intention of playing Hasan, but doing it this way allows Kaneria to get some match practice if he's going to come back into the team and also gives a kid a chance to train with the big boys.

Plus, as I said, they've now saved him from the otherwise inevitable James Hart bludgeoning he was about to receive... :p
:laugh:

Yes, i guess you can say those were probably the motives behind selecting him...

Certainly doesn't mean he is test standard and i hope he doesn't get selected ahead of Ajmal....with these PCB dumbasses you never know....

stumpski

International Captain
Seems like a long time since Pakistan had a genuine left-arm spinner (as opposed to a batsman who bowled a bit, like Aamir Sohail). Was Iqbal Qasim the last? He was playing 20-30 years ago.

Faisal1985

Seems like a long time since Pakistan had a genuine left-arm spinner (as opposed to a batsman who bowled a bit, like Aamir Sohail). Was Iqbal Qasim the last? He was playing 20-30 years ago.
Yeah true....Fawad Alam can bowl a bit ..but not quite like that...isn't it called the chinamen or something like that...the left arm off break?

stumpski

International Captain
Yes, but 'chinaman' means slightly different things in England and Australia ... the English use it to describe all left-arm wrist-spin bowling, while Australians reserve it for the ball bowled from the back of the hand (i.e. leaving the right-hander). Or maybe it's the other way round.

They also had this guy, somewhat briefly. Only know of him because he made it into the original Brian Lara game.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I was just about to say 'get a life' when I read your James Hart post. It all makes sense now.