• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rule about fielders behind batsman

memphiscricket

Cricket Spectator
Is there a rule in cricket about fielders behind square not allowed to walk-in? I have seen umpires call a no-ball or a dead-ball sometimes, but am not able to find that rule anywhere.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

kingkallis

International Coach
Nope, there is no such rule there.

I am aware of 1 rule though and its about having 2 fielders behind square. You cant have more than 2 fielders behind the square, adding 3rd might end up as a no-ball.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
The rule that got called in a game recently (i forget which match it was now maybe england v bangladesh?) was that fielders must walk in a straight line when they walk in. Nothing about what position they were relevant to the batsmen just they had to walk straight so they kept the same position. The commentary used an example of a fielder behind the batsmen running out of his vision into a new fielding spot.

Julian87

State Captain
Yeah you're not allowed to change your fielding position once the run up has started. You can walk/charge in but you're not allowed to sweep around into a different position.