• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricinfo's all time XIs - India

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
OMG if Their is no Ganguly in all time XI i may see a riot in bengal.....haha

BTW....Gavaskar and Sehwag FTW....:)

Himannv

International Coach
Definitely Gavaskar and Sehwag, followed by Dravid and Tendulkar. Kapil at 6 or 7.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It really is sad that India have only produced two bowlers in recent history that could even be considered to open the bowling for an All Time Indian XI.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Gav
Veeru
Dravid
God
Lax
Azhar
Dhoni/Kirmani
Kapil
Chandra
Kumble
Srinath
God = Yuvraj Singh ?

Also why would you have both Chandra and Kumble in the team, similar bowlers IMO and why do you have Azza ?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Sunil Gavaskar
Virender Sehwag
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Hazare/Viswanath/Laxman
Farookh Engineer/MS Dhoni +
Vinoo Mankad/batsman at 6
Kapil Dev
Javagal Srinath
Erapalli Prasanna
Bhagawat Chandrasekhar/Mohammad Nissar
--------------------------------
Waterboy :ph34r:

Prasanna is a must IMO, to spin the ball the other way. Plenty of Indian captains of the past have Prasanna ahead of Chandra and Bedi in their all time India XIs.

EDIT: Wouldn't mind Subhash Gupte ahead of Chandrasekhar too.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Gavaskar, Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Azhar-ud-din, Vishwanath, Dhoni, Kapil, Kumble, Srinath, Prasanna

I would have gone for Chandra, but Kumble and Chandra looks carbon copies. Batting would be strong with batsmen up to #8, and Kumble and Srinath can hold the bat.On second thought tempting to select a slow bowling all rounder like Vinoo Mankad at #7 and add another fst bowler like Zaheer Khan or Amar Singh there. Md. Nissar would have been a good pick too.

Dissector

International Debutant
Vinoo Mankad is an automatic pick for an all-time India 11 IMO. The bowling is too weak for with just four and if we pick five bowlers I would definitely want a second all-rounder along with Kapil.

Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Azharuddin
Mankad
Dhoni
Kapil Dev
Kumble
Srinath
Gupte

kingkallis

International Coach
MSD over Farok Engineer or Kirmani is a criminal act!

Also good to see Srinath ahead of Zaheer...we used to call Srinath 'the real deshpremi' due to his efforts on our dead soils!

1.Gavaskar
2.Sehwag
3.Dravid
4.Tendu
5.Azhar
6.Dev
7.Kirmani/Engineer
8.Bedi
9.Kumble
10.Srinath
11.Zaheer

I didn't consider pre-partion players.And for those including Mohammed Nissar-well he is a Pakistani..just like Abdul Kardar.They both played for British India (present day Ind+Pak+Bang) but migrated to Pak post independence.Not sure you can include him

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Should be something like this IMO:

S. Gavaskar
V. Sehwag
R. Dravid
S. Tendulkar
G. Viswanath
V Mankad
K Dev
F. Engineer
A. Kumble
J. Srinath
S. Gupte

Sir Alex

Banned
God = Yuvraj Singh ?

Also why would you have both Chandra and Kumble in the team, similar bowlers IMO and why do you have Azza ?
Why not Azhar? He certainly was the best middle order batsman India had in the 90s after Sachin.

Yeah but Bedi was not the matchwinner Chandra used to be, especially overseas. Also I hate Bedi and perhaps S Gupte is a nice option.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
S. Gavaskar
V. Sehwag
R. Dravid
S. Tendulkar
G. Viswanath
V Mankad
M.S Dhoni
K Dev
A. Kumble
J. Srinath
S. Gupte

This would be my team .Bedi is probably the better bowler but since i have Vinoo "can bowl all day long" Mankad in my team , i rather took Gupte and Kumble.

Special mention also goes to Mohammad Nissar and Amar Singh ,but really don't know how to compare them with Srinath. So took Srinath as i have seen him play.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ranji, anyone? Arguably the greatest batsman post-Grace and pre-Hobbs. True, he played for another country, but had little choice in his era.

Sir Alex

Banned
Ranji, anyone? Arguably the greatest batsman post-Grace and pre-Hobbs. True, he played for another country, but had little choice in his era.
And technically it will be the equivalent of considering Morgan in an all time Irish squad some years from now, however improbable it looks now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Where to slot him in?
Think he's worthy of consideration for any slot in the top six, myself. His career average might not look that great in isolation, but in the context of his peers it's remarkable.

And technically it will be the equivalent of considering Morgan in an all time Irish squad some years from now, however improbable it looks now.
Actually wouldn't disagree. Would have no issues including him in an all-time Irish XI. He is an Irishman and has played for Ireland.