• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricinfo's all time XIs - India

Sir Alex

Banned
Think he's worthy of consideration for any slot in the top six, myself. His career average might not look that great in isolation, but in the context of his peers it's remarkable.

Actually wouldn't disagree. Would have no issues including him in an all-time Irish XI. He is an Irishman and has played for Ireland.
But Ranji hasn't played for India, whatever be the reasons for that.

I like the way you think, but I don't think one can qualify for the list unless one actually plays for them. (With Morgan, I was referring to tests basically)

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I know they would understandably not get picked but Vijay Hazare and Vijay Merchant both deserve a mention.
Vijay Merchant specially who has the second highest FC average after the Don. And i think it is a very close contest between him ,Sehwag and Gavaskar for the opening slot .Specially between Merchant and Sehwag.

Though i guess we could always also pick Merchant in the middle order instead of Vishwanath.

The best part of Merchant's career was unfortunately lost due to the world war and his international career of just 10 tests spanned over 18 years due to it and he still managed a average of near 48.

Don't think saying the opener choice was easy does justice to him.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Ranji would be a shoe in ahead of Azhar/Laxman/Vishvanath for the middle order slot if we as allowed to be picked.
Though i don't think he should as he represented England and should be in contention for their all time 11 as well .

Matt79

Global Moderator
Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Hazare
Dhoni
Mankad
Kapil Dev
Kumble
Bedi
Srinath
12th: Zaheer Khan (come in for Bedi if conditions demand).

Been a fan of Hazare since I first read about him, although Ganguly's medium pace could see a case mounted given the bowling options available.

Last edited:

AaronK

State Regular
i would like to see the bowling option...

it would be interesting to see if Zaheer Khan or Srenath will make the cut..

Shri

Mr. Glass
Virender Sehwag
Sunil Gavaskar
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
Vijay Hazare
MS Dhoni
Kapil Dev
Anil Kumble
Javagal Srinath
EAS Prasanna

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
1.S.Gavaskar
2.V.Sehwag
3.R.Dravid
4.S.Tendulkar
5.V.Hazare
6.V.Mankad
7.F.Engineer
8.K.Dev
9.A.Kumble
10.J.Srinath
11.E.Prasanna

Himannv

International Coach
Ranji, anyone? Arguably the greatest batsman post-Grace and pre-Hobbs. True, he played for another country, but had little choice in his era.
Dont think he can be considered as he never actually played for India. He would be a shoo-in if he did though. Probably can bat at least at 5.

jondavluc

State Regular
Sunil Gavaskar
Virender Sehwag
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Vijay Hazare
Mahendra Dhoni +
Kapil Dev *
Anil Kumble
Javagal Srinath
Bishen Bedi
Subhash Gupte

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I don't think it's irrelevant at all.He played for British India and then chose to be a Pakistani citizen.Pre-partion players should be chosen for countries they chose post partition imo.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
But Nissar didn't play for Pakistan. Kardar on the other hand, did. There's a plain difference between the two. Simply choosing to live in whatever country has no bearing on it.

But he didn't just go to Pak for a holiday.It's not like an Indian going to live in Australia or something like that.He was a Pakistani citizen He never played intl cricket for Pak possible because :

1.He was well into his late 30s post partition (was 42 when Pak played their first test)
2.He wasn't good enough at that stage to make the side

He did play domestic cricket for Pakistan though

From wiki -

Shaikh Mohammad Nissar pronunciation (help·info)(born August 1, 1910, death March 11, 1963) was a cricketer, who played as a fast bowler for the pre-partition Indian cricket team and domestic teams in India and Pakistan.[1] He was born in Hoshiarpur, Punjab, and is considered the fastest pre-partition Indian pace bowler. He was arguably one of the fastest bowlers in the world during his time.

Indian batsman C.K. Nayudu claimed in writings that during his first spell, Nissar was faster than Englishman Harold Larwood, who terrorized Australia in 1932 in the infamous Bodyline series.

Nissar along with Amar Singh formed an Indian fast bowling duo that was considered one of the best in the world during the 1930s.

Outside of cricket he was a tribal leader of a large Pushtun tribe and also a pro-Pakistan leader. His memoirs are being compiled and include letters from Mohammad Ali Jinnah, Lord Mountbatten of Burma, and Gandhi. He was one of the founders of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and considered to be the first Pakistani cricketer.Recently, the cricket boards of Pakistan and India inaugurated the Nissar Trophy.

He migrated to Pakistan in 1947 and died in Lahore in 1963.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Virender Sehwag
Sunil Gavaskar*
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Mohammad Azharuddin
Kapil Dev
Farooq Engineer+
Anil Kumble
Javagal Srinath
Subhash Gupte
Amar Singh

Nissar and Srinath were similar type of bowlers, Amar Singh is there for variety (and he's at least as good a bowler as Nissar). Prasanna and Chandra are two other bowlers who deserve at least a thought. Top 4 are standout choices really. So are Kapil and Engineer. Azharuddin is a personal favorite, but all of Hazare, Mohinder, Vengsarkar, Vishwanath and Pataudi deserve a mention there.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
But he didn't just go to Pak for a holiday.It's not like an Indian going to live in Australia or something like that.He was a Pakistani citizen He never played intl cricket for Pak possible because :

1.He was well into his late 30s post partition (was 42 when Pak played their first test)
2.He wasn't good enough at that stage to make the side

He did play domestic cricket for Pakistan though

From wiki -

Shaikh Mohammad Nissar pronunciation (help·info)(born August 1, 1910, death March 11, 1963) was a cricketer, who played as a fast bowler for the pre-partition Indian cricket team and domestic teams in India and Pakistan.[1] He was born in Hoshiarpur, Punjab, and is considered the fastest pre-partition Indian pace bowler. He was arguably one of the fastest bowlers in the world during his time.

Indian batsman C.K. Nayudu claimed in writings that during his first spell, Nissar was faster than Englishman Harold Larwood, who terrorized Australia in 1932 in the infamous Bodyline series.

Nissar along with Amar Singh formed an Indian fast bowling duo that was considered one of the best in the world during the 1930s.

Outside of cricket he was a tribal leader of a large Pushtun tribe and also a pro-Pakistan leader. His memoirs are being compiled and include letters from Mohammad Ali Jinnah, Lord Mountbatten of Burma, and Gandhi. He was one of the founders of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and considered to be the first Pakistani cricketer.Recently, the cricket boards of Pakistan and India inaugurated the Nissar Trophy.

He migrated to Pakistan in 1947 and died in Lahore in 1963.
And before he was a Pakistani citizen, he was an Indian citizen who played for just the one team - India. Therefore, eligible for the Indian all time XI. Your post borders on ethnic discrimination. You're wasting your time posting information almost everyone knows about or can get to at the click of a mouse. You're the only one here who seems have a problem selecting him based on his ethnicity and irrelevancies.

And before he was a Pakistani citizen, he was an Indian citizen who played for just the one team - India. Therefore, eligible for the Indian all time XI. Your post borders on ethnic discrimination. You're wasting your time posting information almost everyone knows about or can get to at the click of a mouse. You're the only one here who seems have a problem selecting him based on his ethnicity and irrelevancies.
No he was a British subject.You claimed that he never played intl cricket for Pak so I showed you that he played domestic cricket in Pakistan (and was too old to play Pak's first test) and was a Pakistani citizen.There is nothing racist or whatever about my posts at all.Just that you start crying as soon as you are proven wrong (no doubt the usual multi accusations will start soon).Just so you know I am a proud Indian Muslim of Pak descent.

This is a cricket forum and we are perfectly entitled to discuss as to whether or not Nissar can qualify for an all-time XI Indian side.

Last edited: