• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2010/11 ***

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well, he is a left arm swing bowler. If he's any good, you'd kind of hope he'd be picking up lbw's and bowleds, just like you'd expect a right arm outswing bowler to pick up lots of slip and gully catches.

Be interesting to see whether the selectors will lump for him or McKay later in the year. Both are having very good seasons. Are there any A tours scheduled this year?
I think his point was that bowlers who attack the stumps usually go for more runs and Boult has been tight as a fish's arse despite clearly employing that line of attack.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
He just keeps improving and improving. It's so incredible having an NZ domestic spinner (who isn't Vettori) actually producing stats worthy of a frontline bowler.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Happily jumping onto the Todd Astle bandwagon as we speak. Great to see him producing good figures.

I guess there's a long way to go but from the probably very non-representative 2 overs of T20 bowling that I saw on tv a while ago, I thought that:
- He had a nice action that looks like it could translate to the international stage. (ie. not the Brook Walker legspin of a few years back)
- He gave the ball a lot of air and bowled quite slowly, especially considering it was a T20.
- He didn't seem to put a huge rip on the ball, but that may just have been because it was T20. Was still getting a bit of turn and bounce.

Howsie

International Captain
Be interesting to see whether the selectors will lump for him or McKay later in the year. Both are having very good seasons. Are there any A tours scheduled this year?
No reason why you couldn't go for both of them imo, especially if Martin retires during the winter after picking up his 200th wicket. Which ideally is what will happen. A 37 year old Chris Martin going up against Australia and South Africa probably won't end well.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
I'm sure the South African batsmen will love him and his tasty medium pace a lot more. I seriously doubt Marto makes it to that series anyway, the Australian tour should take care of him if he doesn't decide to hang the boots up.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
I see this every time. People saying how much Martin sucks.

1: He's been 100% dependable for the last decade. I don't remember him picking up 1 injury.
2: He usually gets trhough tours with at least average stats. You usually know what you'll get. Yes, he's often not devastating but he gets wickets.
3: We have NO ONE we can replace him with.
4: He's experienced
5: He always gives his best.

People need to get off his back. He's probably close to retirement and has been an excellent servant of NZC

BeeGee

International Captain
It's great to see some real fast bowling potential come through the FC ranks. We actually have a bowler selection issue caused a number of players being in good form, rather than a selection issue caused by our domestic bowlers being ****.

Andy McKay on right track for Black Caps recall | Stuff.co.nz

Since missing a spot in New Zealand's World Cup squad, 30-year-old McKay made a bold statement to the selectors with some of the fastest spells of his career in the 145kmh bracket. In the past three Plunket Shield matches he snared 22 wickets at 19.32, including the only two five-wicket bags of his 28-match first-class career.
Awesome stuff. :happy:

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
4-50 for James Baker, well deserved. I managed to head down yesterday for the first two sessions and he was pretty impressive. He only picked up one wicket during that time but he went past the bat a few times and had a couple of confident LBW's turned down. I was racking my brain all day trying too figure out who he reminded me of too and I came up with Stuart Clark. His bowling action and even build is the spiltting image of Clark imo.

It's just a shame really that this might be his only game for the season.

Howsie

International Captain
Strange. Canterbury have been allowed to sub both Todd Astle and Andrew Ellis. I wonder what's happened there?

Matt Henry's picked up his 1st first class wicket though however, there are some big raps on that lad.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
A cracking finish taking place between ND and Auckland. ND need 21 runs with 1 wicket left. Marto with 5/60.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sure the South African batsmen will love him and his tasty medium pace a lot more. I seriously doubt Marto makes it to that series anyway, the Australian tour should take care of him if he doesn't decide to hang the boots up.
You do realise that what happened today was entirely your fault.

vandem

International 12th Man
Strange. Canterbury have been allowed to sub both Todd Astle and Andrew Ellis. I wonder what's happened there? ....
Stuff reports they were at a funeral. Assume earthquake related. IMHO correct decision of NZC to allow full replacements.