• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2010/11 ***

Howsie

International Captain
Bevan Small :happy:

It says a lot about CD's bowling depth at the moment that he hasn't even made his first class debut yet, very impressive young bowler.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Haha, Bruce Martin is a likely starter for Auckland in tomorrows round five clash against Northern Districts.

Flem274*

123/5
What do you know about Jeremy Kuru, Flem? From what I saw of the U23 scorecards, he seems to be in pretty good touch.
I know sfa bar the name. Someone I know thinks he is decent, and someone on this forum seems to think he has some nip about him, but I really have no idea how he rollls.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What is he doing as 12th man?! Is he not very accurate?
Well nothing was said about it, but I'm sort of assuming he had some sort of niggle or they had concerns over his ability to get through the match, particularly considering the fact Mitch McClenaghan was picked ahead of him, and the fact that he's now out injured for the next match too. Just a guess though.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
What is he doing as 12th man?! Is he not very accurate?
PEWS is saying he has a niggle - even if he didn't he wouldn't be CD's first choice bowler as he is so raw and gun barrell straight. Mason is several classes above him at the moment.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
PEWS is saying he has a niggle - even if he didn't he wouldn't be CD's first choice bowler as he is so raw and gun barrell straight. Mason is several classes above him at the moment.
Nah, that was just a guess. I don't know why Milne didn't play; I thought I made that pretty clear. :p

Wheeler though had a niggle apparently.

Howsie

International Captain
The best bowling attack in the country doing the business early against Auckland, 40/4 just after drinks. Trent Boult picking up three wickets in his first two overs.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
The best bowling attack in the country doing the business early against Auckland, 40/4 just after drinks. Trent Boult picking up three wickets in his first two overs.
The kid didn't go too flash last game did he? I only took a cursory look at the score cards in the first innings. But has come back well so far. A pretty broad summary of his head space it seems he has things together.

Would be nice to have a left arm option with some aggression. Mathieson playing also, but a little expensive.

Any idea if the Otago - CD game will get going today?

vandem

International 12th Man
The kid [Boult] didn't go too flash last game did he? I only took a cursory look at the score cards in the first innings. But has come back well so far. A pretty broad summary of his head space it seems he has things together.

Would be nice to have a left arm option with some aggression. Mathieson playing also, but a little expensive...
Kevin Hart on radio said Boult was the best of ND bowlers, bowled an impressive but unlucky wicketless spell on the 2nd evening to Weston and KNB. He and Grub actually had equal-best figures for the seamers (1-84) until the last three balls of the innings!

IMHO he is in a race with Wagner for 3rd seamer test spot for next season, can't see 120+k Arnel or Tuffey back.

Howsie

International Captain
IMHO he is in a race with Wagner for 3rd seamer test spot for next season, can't see 120+k Arnel or Tuffey back.
Neil Wagner not being eligible until January will probably hurt him in that battle, at the very least Boult should be touring Australia late this year with the New Zealand team.

Howsie

International Captain
An interesting start to FC career.

18-1-107-2 and then 5-0-31-1.

Decent wickets though, Nicol lbw, Brownlie ct wk, Hopkins lbw.
He's pretty raw, definitely not as well rounded as some of the other younger bowlers to come through the system into first class cricket in recent years. At 6"5 - 6'6 and bowling at 140+ there is a lot to work with however.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Wagner not being eligible until January will probably hurt him in that battle, at the very least Boult should be touring Australia late this year with the New Zealand team.
If Martin sticks around, which he says he wants to, then I reckon Boult might struggle to make it this year. On top of Tom, there is Southee, Bennett and McKay who are all comfortably ahead of Boult atm. That's not even taking into account the potential for Gillespie to come back into the mix if he has a really good 6 or 7 games this year, and Arnel who will probably get another chance or two yet. If he's to jump ahead of all these guys, then Boult is going to really need to be outstanding for the rest of this season and the start of next. Not impossible of course, but he's really going to have to earn it, which is a good thing.

And I don't really see the benefit of doing a repeat of 2 years ago, when he was thrown into a tour, and never came close to playing. If he is selected it should be because they intend for him to play.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Just curious, Does NZ have any promising Bond like quicks in the domestic circuit?
As has already been said a couple of pages back, Adam Milne can be 150+ and has had a good start to his domestic career, but keeps getting hit with little injuries. Bevan Small is also quite sharp, but didn't have the best time of it in his debut match today on a flat track. Both of them are probably at least 3 years away from being ready for intl cricket.

Besides those two, there are a couple of fast mediums who are attracting some interest (eg. Boult, Wagner), but nobody who really looks likely to set the world on fire.