• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2010/11 ***

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Why does Beard have such an average FC average, everytime I see him he looks good
He gets beautiful flight on the ball huh.

Poor Wagner got all manner of **** smacked out of him in his last over. Thing is not all of them were terrible deliveries.

thierry henry

International Coach
In my opinion even today he is noticeably faster than Wagner. I dunno how he used to bowl, but he has sort of a shortish, ambling run-up which indicates to me he might have run in harder and been quicker when younger.

*McMillan, that is

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
In my opinion even today he is noticeably faster than Wagner. I dunno how he used to bowl, but he has sort of a shortish, ambling run-up which indicates to me he might have run in harder and been quicker when younger.

*McMillan, that is
Yeah there were quite a few posts about him changing his runup in one of the threads I just quoted from.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
First time I've ever seen James McMillan on the TV and he looks really quick for an NZ 32 year old who has apparently been riddled by injuries. Was he quicker when younger, and does anyone who knows more about him than me reckon he could've gone further without the injuries? Pretty ordinary FC record.
Probably best to listen to someone who has played against Jimmy, rather than someone dragging up old posts from Cricket Web... :ph34r:

James is the same age as me (same year of high school, although he went to Johnny's). He was always brutally quick going through intermediate school/high school and age grade stuff - and when I say quick, he was the archetypal guy that every city has who engenders fear among the rest of the schoolkids of his age. Injuries (using the indoor nets at the Edgar Centre was far from ideal for many years, due to much of the runup being concrete) and other factors - namely he does enjoy a night or two out, it's fair to say - have cost him a steady career throughout the years. As noted in an article the other day in the ODT, he's had about two-and-a-half to three full seasons in the last 6 years ruined by different injuries.

When I say I played against him, I think I only faced him once when it was a soggy outfield and he was only at 2/3 or 3/4 pace. I foolishly came down the wicket and knocked him back over his head for two runs and was desperately pushing for three. It's a shame I didn't get the third, as the next ball seamed in off a very short length and whistled past my nose. Luckily that was the end of the over, and my team-mate got out next over to end the innings.

Good fella, and it's a shame he was never on the park for three or four seasons in a row.

Howsie

International Captain
Why does Beard have such an average FC average, everytime I see him he looks good
Yeah, he's a much, much better bowler then his domestic record suggests at this point in time. He's had a decent enough start to the Plunket Shield this season so hopefully he can kick on after Christmas and really show his worth, personally I'd love to see him go on the test tour of Bangladesh next year.

Blocky

Banned
The news I've heard on Beard is that at the moment he is suited to T20 because he only has to get through four overs. The talk is that the longer he bowls, the less consistent he is and in First Class, he generally drops it short and gets pasted after his fourth or fifth over.

As for James McMillan - he always had pace but it was unthreatening pace, sort of like Mark Gillespie. They hit the radar at late 130/140 but they're not hitting the deck hard, the ball sort of kisses off the deck and doesn't threaten as much as you'd expect.

Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
CD Nash is Chris Nash of Sussex, right?

If so, that’s a bizarre signing. Stevens despite being a journeyman does have form in 20/20. Nash is complete meh. Seems to be used as a bowling all-rounder by Otago as well.
The Volts match was played in Oamaru, where I work (see the thread what should I ask Brad hodge....) I did a preview for it because our sports guy had the day off. To accompany an interview I wrote little pen pictures of the four overseas players... the best I could say about Nash was he was " a surprise success in last year's Twenty20 cup" and was "a solid county pro".

Stevens I think is a bit better than that but Nash was a poor signing, no doubt. The Volts sucked last night and look terrible without their Black Caps.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
God the standard of umpiring in domestic cricket is ****. I mean, I know we shouldn't expect much given that they're only semi-pro, and they wouldn't get many opportunities to review the tape to see where they're going wrong, but still...

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wellington's bowling line up is rather average they desperately need Brett Lee.
Most of our bowlers are still injured. :(

And McKay being gone with Jimmeh hurts it a bit too. ****ing Gillespie the injury dog, and Tugagagagagga the male model.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Most of our bowlers are still injured. :(

And McKay being gone with Jimmeh hurts it a bit too. ****ing Gillespie the injury dog, and Tugagagagagga the male model.
Imagine if you had all those players. The bowling attack would be much much better lol
Brett Lee and Gillespie open it up followed by Mckay and Franklin then Patel to dry up the runs.