• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2010/11 ***

Flem274*

123/5
Thought I'd make Athlai's day by posting Mathew Sinclair averages only 36 against Wellington in First Class cricket.

He's positively God-like against the other five teams though. Otago take a special hammering.

Wellington are also one of the First Class teams able to keep Ingram quiet (barring that game). He only averages 33 against them. Otago (31) and Auckland (34) are the others.

Both of them absolutely love Northern Districts though.

I'd love to find a filter where I could look at Pinga's record from 2006 onwards, because then I could see who he smashes/fails against when he is actually scoring runs for CD.

Kane Williamson butchers Auckland (averages 81) and Wellington (averages 52) and is very good against Canterbury (averages 44).

He's rubbish against CD (averages 24) and average against Otago (averages 33).

Williamson averages 74 in Whangarei but only 28 in Hamilton.

Flem274*

123/5
Also, Michael Mason has never taken a five wicket bag against Wellington. However his worst average is against Auckland (31). The rest he averages 23-26 against barring Otago, whom he averages just 17 against.

Howsie

International Captain
Williamson averages 74 in Whangarei but only 28 in Hamilton.
Odd, Seddon park is easily more batting friendly. Cobham Oval is usually quite bowler friendly especially at the start of the season.

Edit: Averages 66 at the Basin too, top player.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah Williamson seems to do well in traditionally tougher conditions and fail in others. Better that than the other way round though.

Jamie How averages 38 in FC cricket (discounting tests for all these players).

Against Auckland he averages just 18 and Wellington 26, but against Canterbury he averages 50, ND 45, and Otago 72.

Moving on to James Franklin...

He averages 39.64 for Wellington with the bat and 23 with the ball. With the ball however last year he averaged 35 and the year before 50. In County Cricket this year he's averaging 23 and last year 29.

Back to his batting, he averages 50 against Auckland, Canterbury 40, CD 32, ND 37, Otago 40.

His best grounds are Carisbrook (124), Eden Park Runway (56) and the Villiage Green in Canterbury (51). He's decent at Napier (39) but appalling in Otago (bar Carisbrook). At home he averages 34.

So far from these it looks like the Basin and against CD are the places to score, which is itstl.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
I'd love to find a filter where I could look at Pinga's record from 2006 onwards, because then I could see who he smashes/fails against when he is actually scoring runs for CD.
Since 06/07 Ingram averages 58.8 against Otago, 60.3 against Canterbury, 37.1 against Auckland, 93 against Northern Districts and 68.5 against Wellington. During this time he's averaged 57.46 whilst playing at home and 70.1 away from home. He also averages 68 playing at neutral venues.

Flem274*

123/5
Cheers Howsie mate.

Lol. Hurts saying this, but how the hell is he scoring all those runs everywhere? 93 against ND!

I honestly believe if he added more technique to his game he's easily be a test batsman. Imo he has one of the best pairs of eyes in cricket.

But technique messes with his head, he hates it. A shame, as the selectors and especially the public will be unsympathetic to giving him an extended run when he looks so bad when he gets out early.

EDIT: Very lacksidasical player too. Plays for fun, which is good because he's never fazed under pressure but it could mean he might simply be content to smash FC teams around now...I hope not. Need another Skippy online chat sesh to ask him about Pinga's plans.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
His technqiue just doesn't allow for him to play pace very well imo, that's where he seems to struggle the most. As soon as his reaction time is trimmed he gets himself into all sorts of trouble with the short stuff.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Impressive.

I've been spending quite a bit of this evening trying to find a State Shield game I went to 7 or 8 years ago where the team sent out a reverse batting order - tail-enders opening - and IIRC it failed miserably. I can't even remember what team it was now. I went to so many of those games back in the day. My lack of success in finding the scorecard is annoying me.

Flem274*

123/5
Impressive.

I've been spending quite a bit of this evening trying to find a State Shield game I went to 7 or 8 years ago where the team sent out a reverse batting order - tail-enders opening - and IIRC it failed miserably. I can't even remember what team it was now. I went to so many of those games back in the day. My lack of success in finding the scorecard is annoying me.
:laugh: What was the logic behind that?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Having the better batsmen at the death I think was the idea. Didn't quite work out.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wright
Ryder
Parlane
Merchant
Franklin
Woodcock
Austin-Smellie
Lee
Patel
Gillespie
McKay

12th man
Bowden

Flem274*

123/5
Surely Wellington don't need ANOTHER allrounder?

Though if he can open then fair call. Ryder won't always be available and I'm not sure what the go with Nevin is, so someone to partner Parlane would be all right.

Though Murdoch and Pollard could be decent 20/20 options, but I don't know much about them at all except Pollard is highly rated by a few people down there apparently.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Impressive.

Started searching games around 2002/03/04 seasons but gave up after a while. Interesting to note that the likes of Wiseman and Doull frequently opened for their provincial sides around that time, so wouldn't think your story to be unbelievable if, say ND had opened with Doull, and batted Vettori, Butler, etc. at 3 or 4.