Cricket Player Manager
Page 43 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: *** Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2010/11 ***

Re: Anurag. When he's bowling balls to the wall, full tilt, he's quick - 145kmh - but I don't see him able to do that regularly. The exciting thing about him is that he's always going to be a guy who bowls late 130s and if his batting continues to improve, can offer you a 5-6-7-8 batsman.

Re: Mathieson. Absolutely glad he's getting a chance at first class, hope he charges in, forgets about being nice/respectful and just goes at it. There is a guy who just bowls quick regardless, he bowls 144-145kmh in his natural delivery stride, not his effort ball. He's been working on fitness and leg strength in the off season to develop more consistency, bowl longer spells and stem injuries but he's a tall guy with a tall action and will only improve.

Re: Developing pace as a bowler, I say it's possible, I just think it comes down to training, getting the right technique, having the right mentality for it and above all else, being prepared to bowl and bowl and bowl.

Iain O'Brien, Shane Bond, Dion Nash, Shane Watson, Shane Lee and a fair few others showed improvements in their pace, even after their early twenties. Bond went from a 130-135kmh bowler prior to his police training to a 150-156kmh bowler.

O'Brien went from an average 125kmh bowler to a 140kmh bowler through persistence, hard work, resistance bowling (into the wind) and desire.

I think if you want to add pace, you train for it - you do hill sprints, you do endurance running, you do plyometrics, you do kettle bell exercises but most importantly, you bowl! You bowl at least 6 overs a day and up to 15 on heavy training days and you bowl at near full effort the entire time, you bowl with the intent of being quicker, you get your technique right to help you with that (Ian Pont's drop step, using javelin mechanics, etc) and you'll start developing pace.

I think the problem is most coaches try and train you out of that mentality and train you into a line and length mentality, the two shouldn't be at the expense of one another.

Also funny watching Owen Ivins batting at 10 and 11 for ND.

He opens the batting for my club side with Mitchell Santner, ahead of Nick Horsley and is extremely capable with the bat, I think he's even opened for Hamilton.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by Blocky View Post
    Iain O'Brien, Shane Bond, Dion Nash, Shane Watson, Shane Lee and a fair few others showed improvements in their pace, even after their early twenties. Bond went from a 130-135kmh bowler prior to his police training to a 150-156kmh bowler.

O'Brien went from an average 125kmh bowler to a 140kmh bowler through persistence, hard work, resistance bowling (into the wind) and desire.
    When are you referring to? When O'Brien made his debut as a test bowler in 2005, he was already capable of bowling at 140 k's. He put on a little extra pace in his last series against Pakistan (I'd certainly never seen him bowl as consistently above 140 prior to that series), but he was always towards the faster end of fast medium.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    When are you referring to? When O'Brien made his debut as a test bowler in 2005, he was already capable of bowling at 140 k's. He put on a little extra pace in his last series against Pakistan (I'd certainly never seen him bowl as consistently above 140 prior to that series), but he was always towards the faster end of fast medium.
    His debut, he bowled 125 to 135 km/h and that was considered quick for him. Prior to that when constantly taking wickets for Welly, he was military medium at best, the guy went from being in his 3rd 11 club side to representatives in the space of a year, based mostly on pace improvement

His debut, he bowled 125 to 135 km/h and that was considered quick for him. Prior to that when constantly taking wickets for Welly, he was military medium at best, the guy went from being in his 3rd 11 club side to representatives in the space of a year, based mostly on pace improvement
    Nah, on his debut v Australia he was hitting 140, I remember the commentators being surprised by his pace, as he was probably the quickest bowler New Zealand played in that match. He might've been a medium pacer in his early years as a domestic bowler, but by the time he was bumped into the test side he was a definite fast medium.

Nah, on his debut v Australia he was hitting 140, I remember the commentators being surprised by his pace, as he was probably the quickest bowler New Zealand played in that match. He might've been a medium pacer in his early years as a domestic bowler, but by the time he was bumped into the test side he was a definite fast medium.
    You sure? I remember him surprising people in England when he went there after his debut because he was quicker than anyone on either side in some matches but don't recall him being quick against Aussie. Unfortunately the commentary history on cricinfo doesn't include anything

You sure? I remember him surprising people in England when he went there after his debut because he was quicker than anyone on either side in some matches but don't recall him being quick against Aussie. Unfortunately the commentary history on cricinfo doesn't include anything
    I imagine he probably surprised people in England because they made the same assumptions about his pace that we all did. A jouneyman kiwi bowler, must be in the low 130's. He definately gained an extra yard of pace right toward the end of his career, but he was no slouch to begin with either.

Another factor was that his test debut wasn't particularly impressive, so a lot of people probably forgot about the pace he showed.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 22-11-2010 at 04:54 PM.

I imagine he probably surprised people in England because they made the same assumptions about his pace that we all did. A jouneyman kiwi bowler, must be in the low 130's. He definately gained an extra yard of pace right toward the end of his career, but he was no slouch to begin with either.
    Having talked to guys who played him in club stuff, he was supposedly a 120kmh bowler up unti, he was 26 or 27. That isn't a slouch?

Having talked to guys who played him in club stuff, he was supposedly a 120kmh bowler up unti, he was 26 or 27. That isn't a slouch?
    I meant by the time he entered test cricket. As you say, he might have been military medium in his mid 20's. I never saw much of him back then.

I meant by the time he entered test cricket.
    Well yeah, but my point here is he developed that speed past his early twenties and continued to develop into his 30s, he puts it down to wanting to bowl faster and running into the wind as much as possible.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Wellington are a joke. Time for Stuart to head back to Aussie I reckon.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    McClenaghan gets de Boorder. Auckland 29/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    This Herrick bloke apparently plays in the the Victorian 2nd XI.

Hawke Cup bowlers averaging under 25>>>Jayden Herrick obviously.

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Heh, not the best of starts for Herrick.

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This Herrick bloke apparently plays in the the Victorian 2nd XI.

Hawke Cup bowlers averaging under 25>>>Jayden Herrick obviously.
    Personally I don't understand why you'd bring a player like Herrick over for one game, it's not like he plans on sticking around. Apparently they tried to get Luke Wright to play today but he wasn't available, why not just give a younger player a run instead?

Page 43 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread Information