• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2010/11 ***

Flem274*

123/5
This Herrick bloke apparently plays in the the Victorian 2nd XI.

Hawke Cup bowlers averaging under 25>>>Jayden Herrick obviously.

Howsie

International Captain
This Herrick bloke apparently plays in the the Victorian 2nd XI.

Hawke Cup bowlers averaging under 25>>>Jayden Herrick obviously.
Personally I don't understand why you'd bring a player like Herrick over for one game, it's not like he plans on sticking around. Apparently they tried to get Luke Wright to play today but he wasn't available, why not just give a younger player a run instead?

Flem274*

123/5
Personally I don't understand why you'd bring a player like Herrick over for one game, it's not like he plans on sticking around. Apparently they tried to get Luke Wright to play today but he wasn't available, why not just give a younger player a run instead?
Yeah would have thought Friday would come in.

Wellington admin is ****ed though by all reports.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Indeed. I saw Liam Chrisp on the weekend for Onslow - he looked useful enough to be worth a run ahead of some of these other jokers. Obviously, he may have just had a good game when I saw him, but I'd rather take a punt on him than some mercenary Ocker.

Last edited:

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Re: Anurag. When he's bowling balls to the wall, full tilt, he's quick - 145kmh - but I don't see him able to do that regularly. The exciting thing about him is that he's always going to be a guy who bowls late 130s and if his batting continues to improve, can offer you a 5-6-7-8 batsman.

Re: Mathieson. Absolutely glad he's getting a chance at first class, hope he charges in, forgets about being nice/respectful and just goes at it. There is a guy who just bowls quick regardless, he bowls 144-145kmh in his natural delivery stride, not his effort ball. He's been working on fitness and leg strength in the off season to develop more consistency, bowl longer spells and stem injuries but he's a tall guy with a tall action and will only improve.

Re: Developing pace as a bowler, I say it's possible, I just think it comes down to training, getting the right technique, having the right mentality for it and above all else, being prepared to bowl and bowl and bowl.

Iain O'Brien, Shane Bond, Dion Nash, Shane Watson, Shane Lee and a fair few others showed improvements in their pace, even after their early twenties. Bond went from a 130-135kmh bowler prior to his police training to a 150-156kmh bowler.

O'Brien went from an average 125kmh bowler to a 140kmh bowler through persistence, hard work, resistance bowling (into the wind) and desire.

I think if you want to add pace, you train for it - you do hill sprints, you do endurance running, you do plyometrics, you do kettle bell exercises but most importantly, you bowl! You bowl at least 6 overs a day and up to 15 on heavy training days and you bowl at near full effort the entire time, you bowl with the intent of being quicker, you get your technique right to help you with that (Ian Pont's drop step, using javelin mechanics, etc) and you'll start developing pace.

I think the problem is most coaches try and train you out of that mentality and train you into a line and length mentality, the two shouldn't be at the expense of one another.
Cheers for the insight mate.

From a coaching perspective - do you think it's harder to train/teach someone to be a fast bowler rather than to be a line and length bowler? Are coaches here taking the stance that if the player doesn't exhibit out and out pace at an early stage then they have no chance of being a 140+ bowler therefore train them up on landing it on a good length?

Any thoughts on Wheeler, Milne and Small? Also who was the young guy playing for Otago who took up a contract in the UK? Lost to the English do you think?

Blocky

Banned
Cheers for the insight mate.

From a coaching perspective - do you think it's harder to train/teach someone to be a fast bowler rather than to be a line and length bowler? Are coaches here taking the stance that if the player doesn't exhibit out and out pace at an early stage then they have no chance of being a 140+ bowler therefore train them up on landing it on a good length?

Any thoughts on Wheeler, Milne and Small? Also who was the young guy playing for Otago who took up a contract in the UK? Lost to the English do you think?
Got to confess I haven't seen much of Milne, Wheeler or Small. I don't get to follow the first class scene as much as I used too, I even used to work as the first class match commentator for Northern Districts when I was in my early 20s, those were the days. My knowledge of Andy and Anurag comes from playing at the same club as them - in the case of Andy, I've talked to him quite a bit about how he trains and how he looks to generate more pace for my own cricket.

From a coaching perspective, it's all too easy to get a guy thinking about line and length if you don't believe they're going to be able to generate pace, mostly because A: You're rewarded for that type of bowling in NZ Conditions and B: Because of the myth people have about bowlers not being able to boost their speed beyond a few clicks.

It also comes down to the bowler - you're kidding yourself if you don't think fast bowling isn't a confidence/arrogance sport. You've got to embrace the chaotic nature of running in as fast as you can and trying to generate everything in behind a small ball being released from your finger tips. You realise you'll probably hurt with every ball you bowl and you've got to realise that you'll ache the day after - not too many guys (regardless of what they say) are willing to put up with this or have the heart to sprint in when things aren't going right.

I went from being an off spinner in my teens to an opening bowler solely cause I decided one day I wanted to run in as fast as I could and try bowl fast, about two years later after much ridicule from team mates, coaches and even parents that my run up was too long, that I wasn't a fast bowler, that I ran in too fast - it started clicking and I generated enough pace to be considered rapid at club level and quick at representitive/Hawke Cup level.

Then coming back to cricket after a ten year gap following injuries and unfitness, I again went from being a very bad medium pace bowler, lucky to touch 110-115kmh to a guy who probably gets it through around 130kmh when everything clicks solely because again, I spent a season running in at training from a run up longer than anyone (including Andy Mathieson) and putting every bit of effort into delivery, even when it was coming out at a pathetic 115kmh - slowly and surely it improved.

And taking myself as an example, I'm utter **** for following what I preach - I haven't really worked on my fitness (I'm on the wrong side of 100kg at the moment) and I haven't done any weights/training/plyometric exercises. I drink excessively in the weekends and believe "healthy food" represents one burger instead of two at McDonalds. I figure if I trimmed back down to 85-90kg, worked on sprinting and plyometric exercises and worked on the mechanics of my bowling action to generate more load up and explosiveness, I'd get faster - I'd like to think 10kmh faster but I'm realistic in knowing how hard it is to improve beyond a "fairly quick" to "actually quick" point.

So, in a long winded answer to your question - I think coaches and other players combine to work against bowlers actually running in and trying to bowl as fast as they can, I think players who want to be pace bowlers have to ignore all that and be satisfied looking like an absolute dork at training while they work on generating pace. Dennis Lillee also thinks so, his advice for cricketers who want to bowl fast is to run in and care about nothing else other than pace.

Howsie

International Captain
A collapse like this was always on the cards with this batting line up, it just doesn't quite look right it must be said.

It probably would have helped had we not had to bat first however.

Blocky

Banned
The batting order wasn't that bad was it? Sure, Flynn and Styris make for better reading but Devvy, Bettley and Wilson are all top young batsmen. Here's hoping O can get his first class scoreboard under way. Guy has centuries at age group level and is no mug

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He had a bit of a technical flaw that made him susceptible to lbws against Test-class pace bowling.

Howsie

International Captain
The batting order wasn't that bad was it? Sure, Flynn and Styris make for better reading but Devvy, Bettley and Wilson are all top young batsmen. Here's hoping O can get his first class scoreboard under way. Guy has centuries at age group level and is no mug
It's pretty average, not 9/115 average that said but it doesn't look that flash on paper.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Now that Wellington's ridiculously budget bowling lineup has skittled Otago for 200, its time for their really quite decent batting lineup to **** it up again. Good times!