Cricket Player Manager
Page 138 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138
Results 2,056 to 2,069 of 2069

Thread: *** Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2010/11 ***

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by irottev View Post
    He's playing for Canterbury now. Don't be ridiculous. He'll be out the door for someone from the North Island after a few failures. Maybe Jamie How will become a keeper so they can keep using him. :S

CCAANNTTEERRBBUURRYY!!!! WINNING!
    Cantabrians are in no position to complain about regional bias.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    It's the end of the season so, in true NZ style, I am now going to convince myself that there is lots of hope for the future and good developing players will be coming through next season. Awesome. It's a pity I'm already unimpressed with our schedule.

For starters, I'm quite hopeful about a bowling attack of Southee, Martin and McKay in tests. If McKay can bowl as well as it sounds like he has been at the end of the season, then that could be a half decent attack. Boult and Wagner make a case for possible selection sooner or later (once Martin retires). Arnel has probably ruled himself out with the way he bowled vs Pakistan. Put Tuffey in the same basket.

Todd Astle is a big question. In my mind (not necessarily connected to the real world), it makes sense that a talented legspinner is debuted sooner rather than later. I suspect NZ domestic batsmen are not very good at playing legspin full stop... so Astle may just be picking up many of his wickets by virtue of that, and that may stall his development. It makes sense to me that he needs to start learning to bowl to batsmen who are used to playing legspin (ie. internationals), even if it runs the risk of damaging his confidence. Memo to NZ selectors - please do not debut Astle in ODIs.

If Astle is to play, he bats eight, Vettori at six and no room for anyone like Broom, Flynn or Franklin, sorry.

I don't know why we're talking about dropping Reece Young for de Boorder. Young has kept reasonably and already scored a fifty; a feat that Dropkins never managed once. Can't complain about a little healthy competition of course, but give Young a chance.

Other questions:
    - McCullum and Franklin both showed glimpses of putting behind their flaky ways this season, only to re-establish themselves as absentees when the going got tough in the World Cup. Which McCullum and Franklin will show up next season? For starters, can only see Franklin near a playing XI if Styris retires from ODIs. Then again, McCullum might give away the gloves in ODIs and take Styris' spot instead. McCullum desperately needs runs - the knives will come out very quickly if he fails as test opener against Australia.

Am going to assume Taylor gets the captaincy. Seems the more logical choice.

Hoping Guptill, Ryder, Taylor and Williamson can do what they've been threatening to do for a while and combine into a formidable (relatively speaking) batting unit. Ryder staying fit would be a good start.

.... and now let's all go and hibernate the winter away until next season.
    Last edited by straw man; 07-04-2011 at 05:48 AM.

vcs
    Has Vettori given up captaincy in all formats? I thought it was only for ODIs...

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Has Vettori given up captaincy in all formats? I thought it was only for ODIs...
    Yep, he's given up the captaincy in all formats. You'd think it'd make more sense that Vettori would keep the test captaincy for a couple of years whilst Taylor finds his feet in the ODI and T20 formats. But I think Vettori just got sick and tired of being the front-man for a team that always disappointed, so he's extracated himself from the role completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    ND chief 'ropeable' over error on NZC website | Stuff.co.nz

lol, what a screw up. You'd think counting the number of wins a team has in a 10 round competition would be fairly easy, obviously not however.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DG Brownlie, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    It's bad enough when Cricket Wellington regularly bugger up the club cricket league tables, but that's incredibly amateur stuff from NZC.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Cantabrians are in no position to complain about regional bias.
    Haha, exactly.

hey I have thought it was a good time to add alittle colour to the 4 day game, Im not trying to make it a one day uniform as I have left the uniform largely white, including pads. feed back appreciated.

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Todd Astle is a big question. In my mind (not necessarily connected to the real world), it makes sense that a talented legspinner is debuted sooner rather than later. I suspect NZ domestic batsmen are not very good at playing legspin full stop... so Astle may just be picking up many of his wickets by virtue of that, and that may stall his development. It makes sense to me that he needs to start learning to bowl to batsmen who are used to playing legspin (ie. internationals), even if it runs the risk of damaging his confidence. Memo to NZ selectors - please do not debut Astle in ODIs
    Todd Astle is the perfect example of why New Zealand cricket must schedule proper "A" tours as often as possible. His performances over the last two first class seasons haven't been seen by a spinner in this country for sometime, but is that down to his ability with the ball or the inability of the batsmen he's bowling too? It's definitely not something you want to risk finding out at the international level IMO.
    Last edited by Howsie; 08-04-2011 at 01:30 AM.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    hey I have thought it was a good time to add alittle colour to the 4 day game, Im not trying to make it a one day uniform as I have left the uniform largely white, including pads. feed back appreciated.
    The CD one looks good - the red ball might get lost against those canterbury colours though
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    .... and now let's all go and hibernate the winter away until next season.
    I will still be on this site for the rugby - but will be hibernating as far as cricket chat is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    ND chief 'ropeable' over error on NZC website | Stuff.co.nz

lol, what a screw up. You'd think counting the number of wins a team has in a 10 round competition would be fairly easy, obviously not however.
    Heh excuses. If you're in a sports team you should know how many wins you have. Pretty ******** on both counts.
    Hamish Bennett's #1 Fan

It wasn't the number of wins ND had, it was the number Canterbury had

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Also crew, I think it's about time we got the 2011/2012 thread underway. I'll be moving posts around and I'll throw up the contract list and the schedule in the original post.

Thread Information