• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2010/11 ***

Flem274*

123/5
If you remember Mason's one debut test at the Basin vs South Africa, he really went to pieces mentally. His run up was shot, he was delivering the ball a good metre behind the crease. A bit like that time Sinclair was looking awful at the basin too but from a bowler perspective. I remember the commentators joking that Cairns should move his marker up when he wasn't looking!

I always liked him too and was sad for him that happened and he never got given another chance after that to make amends. I remember he was cleaning up the domestic season and saw a few games were he was just putting ball after ball right on the spot and really troubling the batsmen.

He got given a go in some ODIs and was going well, then got injured. And it seems the selectors never 'liked' him.

I suppose when you have a face like that :ph34r:
Yeah, didn't help himself on test debut. In fairness to the selectors, they have given other debut duds second chances and been rewarded. Tuffey and O'Brien looked very innocuous when they first appeared.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm really bored and do not want to do any study, so I'm going to waste time and life and list every player who averages over 40 with the bat or under 27 with the ball (discounting test performances where I can be bothered working it out). I'm wondering if it will throw up anything interesting. Definitely keen to see how our bowlers stack up.

The batsmen

Mathew Sinclair: 52.67 (89 matches)
Johannes Myburgh: 51.71 (25 matches)
Jeet Raval: 51.31 (10 matches)
Peter Fulton: 47.72 (58 matches)
Kane Williamson: 46.06 (20 matches)
Kruger van Wyk: 44.00 (35 matches)
Jesse Ryder: 43.86 (38 matches)
Michael Papps: 43.37 (86 matches)
Aaron Redmond: 42.89 (32 matches)*
Neil Broom: 41.78 (55 matches)
Mathew Bell: 41.27 (113 matches)
Craig Cumming: 40.99 (100 matches)
Ross Taylor: 40.83 (35 matches)
Tim Weston: 40.05 (36 matches)

*Since Redmond converted to being a batsman.

Also, since Hopkins moved to the Motorway (Auckland), he averages an impressive 59.56 from 20 matches. Jesus.

Bowlers to follow.

Flem274*

123/5
Time to look at the under-27 bowlers. These are discounting A team results as well.

The Bowlers

Andre Adams: 20.58
James Franklin: 23.39
Mark Gillespie: 23.82
Michael Mason: 23.91
Brent Arnel: 24.04
Daryl Tuffey: 24.27
Tim Southee: 25.00
Warren McSkimming: 25.02
Trent Boult: 25.16

Chris Martin didn't meet the criteria because he averages 29.46. Neither could Kyle Mills, who averages 28.56

EDIT: Daniel Vettori averages 25 for ND

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Van Wyk's figures look pretty good there. Hopkins will need to actually produce results or I could see van Wyk getting a shot before long. The bowlers figures are particularly depressing, as it leads to the conclusion that most of the top performing bowlers are either past it, unavailable or already playing for New Zealand (with poor results).

Flem274*

123/5
Van Wyk's figures look pretty good there. Hopkins will need to actually produce results or I could see van Wyk getting a shot before long. The bowlers figures are particularly depressing, as it leads to the conclusion that most of the top performing bowlers are either past it, unavailable or already playing for New Zealand (with poor results).
What I find insane is you can't trust the batting averages at all. Jesse Ryder and Ross Taylor are 7th and 13th on the list respectively, yet they're our best top level performers. In contrast, Sinclair tops it, Fulton is 4th, Papps 8th, Redmond 9th, Bell 11th and Cumming 12th.

Unfortunately the selectors see this as a reason to pick the likes of Guptill and Flynn despite them being arguably worse. Actually, Sinclair is easily a better test batsman than both.

Just goes to show you gotta pick on runs, technique and check whether they have a back foot. Unless it's Pinga, bcause then you pick him anyway.:ph34r:

Athlai

Not Terrible
What I find insane is you can't trust the batting averages at all. Jesse Ryder and Ross Taylor are 7th and 13th on the list respectively, yet they're our best top level performers. In contrast, Sinclair tops it, Fulton is 4th, Papps 8th, Redmond 9th, Bell 11th and Cumming 12th.

Unfortunately the selectors see this as a reason to pick the likes of Guptill and Flynn despite them being arguably worse. Actually, Sinclair is easily a better test batsman than both.

Just goes to show you gotta pick on runs, technique and check whether they have a back foot. Unless it's Pinga, bcause then you pick him anyway.:ph34r:
No way is he "easily" better.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Franklin averages about 40 for Welly and if you do the Redmond since he became a batsman treatment he'd qualify.

Instead of career averages give us the last 3 or so years, that'd get rid of the guys who raped it years ago like Franklin with the ball.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Franklin averages about 40 for Welly and if you do the Redmond since he became a batsman treatment he'd qualify.

Instead of career averages give us the last 3 or so years, that'd get rid of the guys who raped it years ago like Franklin with the ball.
I can give you a weighted version of that where last season is multiplied by 4, the season before by 3, the season before that by 2 and four seasons ago by 1.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sure go for it.
Batsmen
Qual: >= 35 weighted innings (2009/10 innings*4 + 2008/09 innings*3 + 2007/08 innings*2 + 2006/07 innings*1) at an average of > 40

MS Sinclair - 64.30
PJ Ingram - 61.35
GJ Hopkins - 56.57
CD Cumming - 55.01
TG McIntosh - 53.02
NT Broom - 51.35
MHW Papps - 50.75
JG Myburgh - 50.54
LJ Woodcock - 48.53
RA Young - 48.17
AJ Redmond - 48.00
SL Stewart - 47.43
JA Raval - 47.26
CFK van Wyk - 46.26
KS Williamson - 45.20
HJH Marshall - 43.92
PG Fulton - 43.46
GR Hay - 43.21
C de Grandhomme - 42.10
RA Jones - 42.00
GD Elliott - 42.00
SJ Rhodes - 40.17

Franklin averages 100.67 after 27 weighted innings.

Bowlers:
Qual: >= 70 weighted wickets (2009/10 wickets*4 + 2008/09 wickets*3 + 2007/08 wickets*2 + 2006/07 wickets*1) at an average of < 27

AR Adams - 12.02
MR Gillespie - 18.94
BJ Arnel - 21.17
DR Tuffey - 21.61
IE O'Brien - 22.08
TG Southee - 22.83
MJ Mason - 24.89
GW Aldridge - 25.10
AM Ellis - 25.16
SR Wells - 25.41
MD Bates - 25.83
EP Thompson - 26.28
WC McSkimming - 26.46

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I just remembered those are standardised to base 33 as well. It was just to account for the slightly greener pitches a few seasons back. Didn't effect it as much as I thought it would anyway - the second highest global batting average was actually in 2006/07, funnily enough.

2006/07 - 37.36 per wicket
2007/08 - 32.44 per wicket
2008/09 - 36.46 per wicket
2009/10 - 37.75 per wicket

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm actually hoping for greener wickets this season, a season where Ingram averages 30-40 is much needed.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Broom should probably get a go at some stage. Who knows, even woodcock. The depressing thing on that list is that there is only one opener (McIntosh aside) who appears anywhere near the top. And Jeet Raval has derived most of his runs from a couple of massive scores and ridiculously flat tracks.

Not much to look at there with the bowlers either. Bates the only one really who could make any sort of claim for attention.

Flem274*

123/5
My fear is that he'll be remembered as such, and not as the gun bowler he was pre-injury.
awta

No way is he "easily" better.
Haha yeah. Sinclair's test average from 04 onwards (when Flynn made his first class debut) wouldn't even be near 30 I'd imagine.
Sinclair did more in his first ten tests than Guptill and and Flynn have done combined.

His century against South Africa when we were well and truly up against it was his finest moment.