• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Awards?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Having seen recent talk of it and how people enjoyed them (and inspired by this Jono classic), would people be interested in resurrecting it?

Think it would need a few of us who are happy to spot posts etc. but I'm willing to help out if others would also lend a hand.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Go for it IMO

My recommendation would be just go back to the original awards though, there were too many by the end

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Go for it IMO

My recommendation would be just go back to the original awards though, there were too many by the end
Yes, I was thinking along the lines of the original awards (can easily check back to the first few threads to remind ourselves of what they were) - just needs to get a team of 3 or 4 people prepared to give it a run - ideally a cross-section of the forum's best posters (plus me as it's my idea to resurrect them)

Anyone interested, VM me.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'll help with an award marc if you don't get volunteers.

A suggestion, perhaps we could move this thread to CC? As I think a few people who could be interested might not even know it's here

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Great idea, I'd be up for judging one of them if needed.

And I'm only for it if SS is barred from winning any.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I was never a fan of them and I think the place is far better without them but I assume I am in the minority so go of it.

Matt79

Global Moderator
People have raised concerns about the standard of posting in CC - I think the awards as an exercise that draws attention to, and applauds, good posts when they occur, is something that can help make the forum a better place to talk cricket.

There used to be the Bradman, for best overall CC poster of the week, the Afridi, for best single post, the Warne, for the best new thread, the Greig, for the worst prediction, the Boycott, for most knowledgeable poster, and the Skull, for the funniest post. Later the Hussey was added for best new poster. I don't think we want to expand it at all beyond that, and we might want to think about whether we want to retain all of those and rename some of them? (I could see a case for renaming the Hussey the Aamer/Mendis or similar, and maybe re-dubbing the Afridi the Steyn - something blistering, and a cut above the competition)

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
People have raised concerns about the standard of posting in CC - I think the awards as an exercise that draws attention to, and applauds, good posts when they occur, is something that can help make the forum a better place to talk cricket.
We already have layers of posters (mods, stafff members etc.) I dislike the idea of having a self selected group of members judging others. A) What makes them qualified (because quite frankly some of the previous self selected judges were hardly ideal?) and more importantly B) IMO, members and posters should be all equal with as few divisions as possible. The idea of posters judging and rating others makes me cringe and adds another layer to the hierarchy of posters. I dislike the idea. As much as possible, everyone on the board should be equal.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Don't think it's appointing anyone above another, and even within an equal footing environment, it doesn't hurt to recognise good efforts from within the community. It would be good to ensure that it wasn't the same names winning all the time - maybe if it were done, there could be some rule about the same poster not winning any award two weeks running, or more than once in three weeks or similar?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
we already have layers of posters (mods, stafff members etc.) i dislike the idea of having a self selected group of members judging others. A) what makes them qualified (because quite frankly some of the previous self selected judges were hardly ideal?) and more importantly b) imo, members and posters should be all equal with as few divisions as possible. The idea of posters judging and rating others makes me cringe and adds another layer to the hierarchy of posters. I dislike the idea. As much as possible, everyone on the board should be equal.
awta

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think it's appointing anyone above another, and even within an equal footing environment,
Yes there is. It is a group of posters deciding themselves to judge and evaluate the standard of posting done by other members and hand out awards. As I said, I am sure I am in the minority so if it goes ahead then great. As a concept though I really dont like it.

Others clearly enjoy it so I dont have a problem with it on that level. I just wanted to express my thoughts on them reappearing. Obviously, if they do I will not want to participate.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!

There used to be the Bradman, for best overall CC poster of the week, the Afridi, for best single post, the Warne, for the best new thread, the Greig, for the worst prediction, the Boycott, for most knowledgeable poster, and the Skull, for the funniest post. Later the Hussey was added for best new poster. I don't think we want to expand it at all beyond that, and we might want to think about whether we want to retain all of those and rename some of them? (I could see a case for renaming the Hussey the Aamer/Mendis or similar, and maybe re-dubbing the Afridi the Steyn - something blistering, and a cut above the competition)
Should introduce the Ellyse Perry imo. The poster you most want to bang for the week.

Flem274*

123/5
I don't think the whole judging thing would be that bad if we had a few organisers and posters could email them with noteworthy posts. The person with the most votes wins.

Actually, wasn't that how it ran anyway?