• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar @ 169: The most capped player in test history

Sir Alex

Banned
The saga continues....

SL v India: Record-breaking Sachin Tendulkar cherishes journey | Cricket News | Sri Lanka v India | Cricinfo.com

Tendulkar will become the most capped player ever when he'll step out to play his 169th tomorrow in the 2nd test vs SL, going past Steve Waugh's 168.

WAG.

Excerpt:

"It's wonderful that we have been able to play so much Test cricket. In the last few years we have played a reasonable amount of Test cricket. At one stage, in the early nineties, I hardly got any Test matches. Couple of Test occasions there were just two or three Tests in a year. It was disappointing. That is not the case now."
I think that's a valid point. During his peak in the late 90s, especially in the 8 years from 1993-2000, he played just 59 tests. Compare that with someone like Alastair Cook who has already played 57 tests in 4.5 years of test cricket. His records had been far more impressive if India played atleast 10 tests a year in those years, a thing they seem to be correcting in the last few years.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
To me what matters more than no. of tests is the no. of years. And Sachin is just phenomenal there, too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Good that he was playing. I was concerned his groin injury may keep him out.

Go Sachin! Just keep going!

Dissector

International Debutant
If India had played more test cricket in the 90's there would have been a serious chance of 200 tests which would have been remarkable. It will be interesting to see if anyone beats his record. Ponting and Kallis will have a good chance depending on how long they continue after him.

If India had played more test cricket in the 90's there would have been a serious chance of 200 tests which would have been remarkable. It will be interesting to see if anyone beats his record. Ponting and Kallis will have a good chance depending on how long they continue after him.
Kallis might...Ponting doesn't have a realistic chance given that on current form Aus will most certainly lose the Ashes,following which he will get the sack.

@topic-Incredible!

Sir Alex

Banned
Kallis might...Ponting doesn't have a realistic chance given that on current form Aus will most certainly lose the Ashes,following which he will get the sack.

@topic-Incredible!
2,616 runs adrift and 2 years and 150 days of age gap between them. Kallis will not only have to play till Tendulkar's age at retiral but also have 2 excellent years.

Sir Alex

Banned
SA play a lot more tests/year than India on average,don't they??
Not recently though. In 2009, Kallis played in 6 and so far this year in 7 (+2 against India this winter). On the other hand, India will be playing quite a bit of tests this year and after world cup next year (england tour, australian tour, and one home series)

Not recently though. In 2009, Kallis played in 6 and so far this year in 7 (+2 against India this winter). On the other hand, India will be playing quite a bit of tests this year and after world cup next year (england tour, australian tour, and one home series)
Ind tour Eng,Aus,WI all next year I think.Not sure about home series though.

Sir Alex

Banned
Ind tour Eng,Aus,WI all next year I think.Not sure about home series though.
We are supposed to tour WI in April but that's impossible due to IPL. England tour is supposed to start in mid July, so I think we might play just 2 tests against WI to satisfy the FTP needs.

We are supposed to host WI in the winter before touring Australia.