• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imran Khan interview

mohammad16

U19 Captain
DUDES check this new Imran Khan interview out, his arrogance is beyond annoying, can he stop being so full of himself? Its almost as despicable as Michael Jordan's hall of fame speech last year.

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/467961.html

Imran Khan is Pakistan's most famous player and most successful captain. As smooth off the field as he was competitive on it, he made his Test debut as an 18-year-old medium-pacer, transforming himself into a genuinely quick opening bowler and formidable batsman. He led Pakistan to victory in the 1992 World Cup, after which he entered Pakistani politics.

Was it inevitable that you would become a cricketer?
My two cousins were Test captains. One, Majid Khan, became Test captain while I was playing. One was an Oxford Blue [Javed Burki] and one a Cambridge Blue [Majid]. If you're living up to people who have made it big, you face more pressure than ordinary cricketers. Doors open easier but you're always judged against them. I was always told that I had less talent than them.

You made your Test debut in England aged 18. What happened?
I had always had ambitions as a batsman but I was selected as a fast bowler because Pakistan hardly had any. I'd played very few first-class matches, and while in home conditions my slingy action was effective, in England I was totally at sea. I was dropped after that first Test and my team-mates openly told me I'd never get back into the team. But I'd been determined to be a Test cricketer since I was nine and there was never any chance, no matter how many setbacks I faced, that I would give up.

What turned you into a quick bowler?
In 1972, Australia came to England. I watched Dennis Lillee bowl and that's when I decided I wanted to be fast. It was the first time I'd seen a genuine fast bowler. Pakistan didn't have any, and I just loved it. It appealed to my instincts, my aggressive way of playing. I was a medium-pacer then and Worcester would encourage me to bowl that because I had a natural inswinger. But I was never satisfied, so if I ever got hit, I would try and bowl faster. That's how I got this aggressive streak, to seek revenge when a batsman tried to dominate, that made me into a fast bowler. I understood the limitations of how I used to bowl, so I completely restructured my bowling action between the ages of 18 and 25. I spent the winter after I finished at Oxford University [1975-76] in Pakistan, and that was really the turning point, because on those wickets you needed to have air speed. My first-class team [Pakistan International Airlines] encouraged me to bowl fast. In a year I'd gained pace and was genuinely fast.

You came third behind Jeff Thomson and Michael Holding at the famous speed test in Perth in 1978...
We were bowling bouncers and Jeff Thomson was bowling full-tosses, so there was a slight distortion, although he was probably still quicker. Out of eight balls I bowled, seven were quicker than Holding. I wasn't even at my peak - I was quicker in the next two years. In my peak I got nearly 100 wickets in about a year, 40 in a series against India, but I did my shin bone and missed three of my best years as a bowler.

What are your memories of Kerry Packer's World Series Cricket?
It was the highest standard I've played. It was the greatest number of fast bowlers ever concentrated in one place - very high-calibre fast bowling. There were people like Tony Greig, Lawrence Rowe, Roy Fredericks, who were outstanding batsmen, but all three of them sank under the barrage of quick bowlers.

Did captaincy improve you as a player?
The more pressure I took, the stronger I got.

Teams follow captains they believe in. I used to tell them: "Do not be scared of losing, you'll never know how to win." I discovered why I was successful and others who were more talented than me weren't. My whole policy was aggressive: how am I going to win? Most who captained me used to enter a match thinking we should not lose. The result was that team selection became defensive. It's a big difference in strategy and attitude. I took this fear of losing away from them and that's why we used to pull off incredible victories from losing positions. We played superior opposition and did very well. You become fearless and that is a very important component in successful people, organisations, even countries.

Did you find it difficult being a bowling captain?
Batting captains never had a clue about bowlers. Most captaincy is done on the field. As a bowler I was far better equipped to deal with that than batting captains. The only batting captain I rated was Ian Chappell. He had a very good cricket mind and could deal with bowlers well. Apart from him, very few were good because they didn't understand bowlers. Because I was a bowling captain, I taught Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis from scratch. They had hardly played any first-class cricket and I would tell them what to do every ball because I had been through the process myself. I would set their fields and I would tell them what to think.

What were the raw ingredients that you saw in Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis?
Wasim was the most talented bowler I have seen apart from Holding. A natural. But he needed the art of taking wickets, fitness and advice, which I gave him. Waqar was a very strong bowler, not as gifted as Wasim, but much stronger physically. Mentally, Waqar was very tough. Wasim would give up a little bit when things got down; Waqar would keep coming back. But Wasim was much more talented.

How do you compare with the three other great allrounders from the 1970s and 80s: Botham, Hadlee, Kapil Dev?
We were all great competitors. I had my duels with all three. Botham was a better batsman than all of them, Hadlee was a better bowler than the others, and Kapil Dev, at one point, had great batting potential but never developed it. It's not easy at that level to keep developing both skills.

Ian Botham peaked very early. I think he was already on the downer at 26 or 27 because he had become very big. He started off as an allrounder of more promise than all of us because he had a great side-on bowling action and outswing. But by his late 20s his bowling was no longer effective. And batting-wise, the reason I don't think he fulfilled his potential is his performance against West Indies. I judge batsmen on their performance against the big boys and in critical situations. In that sense, Botham's performance against West Indies was just appalling - averaging about 14 with the bat and around 40 with the ball [in fact, 21 and 35].

Your bowling average was 21 against West Indies, the dominant team of the era. Did you raise your game against them?
The tougher the competition, the better it got out of me. Sometimes I used to lose motivation against the smaller teams. The lure of beating West Indies in the West Indies was the main reason I came out of retirement [in 1988]. We drew 1-1 but with neutral umpires we would have won 2-0 and I would have retired then because it was my ambition to beat the ultimate team in world cricket. I'm the only captain that never lost to West Indies in three series, all drawn.

They tested you completely. It demanded the greatest concentration, guts and a proper technique to face them. The batting was great too. Viv Richards was head and shoulders above everyone else. A genius. It was his reflexes, his timing, lightning footwork and his attitude. He was very courageous - a batsman who would take on challenges. His statistical record does not reflect his ability or the number of match-winning innings he played. He used to get bored, whereas other batsmen would bat for their averages.

What are your memories of the 1992 World Cup?
Great euphoria. I handpicked that young team and for them to win the World Cup from that impossible situation was a source of such happiness to the Pakistanis. I was so proud of that team. When I retired, I left the best Pakistan team in its history. I was very disappointed that it never achieved its potential. Match-fixing allegations dogged them.

Do you regret admitting to using a bottle top during the 1981 county season?
I regret that it distorted the whole discussion on ball-tampering; it took it to another level. I was trying to explain that ball-tampering had always been part of cricket. It was only when you crossed a certain limit that it became cheating. He [journalist Ivo Tennant] asked me point blank and I said, "Yes". I'd played a match at Sussex against Hampshire. It was a dead wicket, petering towards a draw. We had drinks and there was a bottle top. I scratched the ball trying to get resistance on the other side. I said: "That is cheating, you've crossed the line." I was illustrating the point. Then other people jumped in, people trying to settle scores, people taking money from tabloids to say: "I saw Imran ball-tampering". They were such liars and they made money. In that sense, I regretted it.

There must have been times when the pressure got to you, leading Pakistan for 10 years?
Cricket is the only captaincy in sport where you face pressure. In Pakistan the pressure is more than in other places because when the team loses, the captain's head comes on the chopping block, otherwise the board is removed. There were about 17 changes in the 10-12 years after I left. When I came in, there was a players' revolt against the captain and I was the compromise. In my 10 years I never had a problem. I had the complete respect of the team.

How did cricket prepare you for politics?
Politics is cut-throat. I find myself far better equipped than my colleagues because I learnt to compete and take knocks from sport. There is no better preparation for politics. It is the ultimate in character-building. Being a political leader is like being a cricket captain. You walk out to a stadium full of people, all responsibility on you, and if you can learn to take that responsibility, it equips you to do anything in life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir Alex

Banned
I don't follow his political career. So no comments on that. But I think a player like Imran is entitled to be say such things about his playing career as he was such a brilliant player. Once in a generation allrounder and an awesome captain.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't find it arrogant (humility and greatness don't usually go together anyway so it doesn't bother me much) but found it very interesting, especially the all-rounder comparisons which I was interested in. Also the part about Wasim and Waqar was surprising to say the least.

Imran was so good that he has every damn right to be arrogant.Absolute Legend of the game.

And why has this topic been posted twice :laugh:

Himannv

International Coach
He can back up pretty much most of what he was saying. The only thing I have an issue with is the bottle cap. Other than that, he's more than entitled to his comments considering his many acomplishments in the game.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He can back up pretty much most of what he was saying. The only thing I have an issue with is the bottle cap. Other than that, he's more than entitled to his comments considering his many acomplishments in the game.
Yeah, Afridi too was making a statement on the doctor-repelling properties of apples. :p Cricketers are so misunderstood.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really? How so?
Never thought Wasim was the type to let his shoulders drop.. and he was always tougher to get away than Waqar even when he wasn't taking wickets. Perhaps Imran meant that Waqar never compromised on his attacking lines and lengths even when the batsmen were scoring a few, always looking for wickets.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
It is not too arrogant, but if you listen to most other interviews that feature him or Imran especially in the political arena, he comes off as very arrogant. I am sorry but I don't subscribe to the club that says "it is ok to be genuinely arrogant when you have accomplished things in life" that is utter BS.

Jordan's hall of fame speech was a very very poor reflection on him.

This is where Muhammad Ali was different, he perhaps more than any other athlete sounded the most arrogant and full of himself but once people were exposed to the real Ali, one sensed real sincerity and a sense of humbleness about him. He was willing to sacrifice a lot for the sake of the struggles of the oppressed.

Jordan could give a damn. Imran seems to care but his arrogance has carried over to politics, the only thing Imran has going for him in the political arena is that his political contemporaries are the lowest scums of the earth.

Himannv

International Coach
@ the OP, I think your personal views are clouding your judgement over the particular article in question. In this particular article I dont see too much arrogance.

As for politics, I couldn't care less.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I don't see how. He pointed to specific examples in his life where people tried to hold him back, but he just used that as motivation to be better. I found that inspiring. I guess most people's problem was just that he was too specific.

Fusion

Global Moderator
It is not too arrogant, but if you listen to most other interviews that feature him or Imran especially in the political arena, he comes off as very arrogant. I am sorry but I don't subscribe to the club that says "it is ok to be genuinely arrogant when you have accomplished things in life" that is utter BS.

This is where Muhammad Ali was different, he perhaps more than any other athlete sounded the most arrogant and full of himself but once people were exposed to the real Ali, one sensed real sincerity and a sense of humbleness about him. He was willing to sacrifice a lot for the sake of the struggles of the oppressed.

Jordan could give a damn. Imran seems to care but his arrogance has carried over to politics, the only thing Imran has going for him in the political arena is that his political contemporaries are the lowest scums of the earth.
I think you're letting your views on Imran the politician skew your views on Imran the cricketer. I detest Imran the politician (but then again I don't have a positive view on ANY Pak politician), but I don't let that interfere with my admiration for what Imran accomplished on the cricket field. You can say that he's being arrogant or boasting in this interview but what has he said that's untrue? He was indeed a great competitor that gave his best performances against the best, improved throughout his career because of hard work, and mentored a whole generation of cricketers. Wasim and Waqar readily admit his influence and level of guidance, down to him telling that what to bowl on every delivery.

Your comparison with Ali is strange to say the least. As you yourself point out, the whole Ali persona was built on arrogance and trash talk. People still loved him because he backed all that up in the ring. Imran is nowhere near that abrasive and you have a problem with him. As for Ali doing good for humanity and thus enduring himself in your eyes, the same can be said of Imran and his charity work like the cancer hospital.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
I think you're letting your views on Imran the politician skew your views on Imran the cricketer. I detest Imran the politician (but then again I don't have a positive view on ANY Pak politician), but I don't let that interfere with my admiration for what Imran accomplished on the cricket field. You can say that he's being arrogant or boasting in this interview but what has he said that's untrue? He was indeed a great competitor that gave his best performances against the best, improved throughout his career because of hard work, and mentored a whole generation of cricketers. Wasim and Waqar readily admit his influence and level of guidance, down to him telling that what to bowl on every delivery.

Your comparison with Ali is strange to say the least. As you yourself point out, the whole Ali persona was built on arrogance and trash talk. People still loved him because he backed all that up in the ring. Imran is nowhere near that abrasive and you have a problem with him. As for Ali doing good for humanity and thus enduring himself in your eyes, the same can be said of Imran and his charity work like the cancer hospital.
I dont take away from his accomplishments as a cricketer, he was a great player, a great leader. He is an inspiration to everyone. Nothing to take away from his social work either. But his arrogance certainly reflects poorly on the mans personality and character.

Ali's arrogance was a show, it was an act, Ali himself very early on described how he witnessed the technique being exhibited and decided to adopt it and it worked. It allowed him to draw more attention and also helped him in psychologically out doing his opponents. Ali never came off genuinely arrogant. He was immensely humble when he was serious.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
I don't see how. He pointed to specific examples in his life where people tried to hold him back, but he just used that as motivation to be better. I found that inspiring. I guess most people's problem was just that he was too specific.
Again like Imran, alot about Jordan is inspiring. Both of them are examples of generously gifted individuals who took devoted relentless hard work to get to where they ended up. Jordan was hardly a special player at Carolina and didnt even get drafted at no 1. Both of them are tremendous sporting role models but that isnt what I was referring to.