• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imran Khan interview

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Again like Imran, alot about Jordan is inspiring. Both of them are examples of generously gifted individuals who took devoted relentless hard work to get to where they ended up. Jordan was hardly a special player at Carolina and didnt even get drafted at no 1. Both of them are tremendous sporting role models but that isnt what I was referring to.
I wasn't referring to that either. I'm talking about what he said, and while he named names, it was to demonstrate how he overcame their negativity. Throughout his career he remained relatively modest when talking about himself, so maybe he saw the HoF ceremony as a chance to tell the world how he really felt. Besides, I don't think any of the people mentioned complained as he was practically thanking them for giving him motivation.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
It is not too arrogant, but if you listen to most other interviews that feature him or Imran especially in the political arena, he comes off as very arrogant. I am sorry but I don't subscribe to the club that says "it is ok to be genuinely arrogant when you have accomplished things in life" that is utter BS.

Jordan's hall of fame speech was a very very poor reflection on him.

This is where Muhammad Ali was different, he perhaps more than any other athlete sounded the most arrogant and full of himself but once people were exposed to the real Ali, one sensed real sincerity and a sense of humbleness about him. He was willing to sacrifice a lot for the sake of the struggles of the oppressed.

Jordan could give a damn. Imran seems to care but his arrogance has carried over to politics, the only thing Imran has going for him in the political arena is that his political contemporaries are the lowest scums of the earth.
Pretty inexplicable reasons those

Now regarding his arrogance in political, I for one do not think he is at all arrogant as a politician..but to dwell more on that would be off topic on this forum.

As for arrogance as a cricketer.. I dont think that is arrogance. That is self confidence and strong belief in oneself. It is extremely important to have that to achieve anything in life especially when it comes to something like sports.

Tendulkar might come across as modest in his public appearance and I respect him for that but I am sure that in his mind, he knows and believes that he is the best batsman in the world. That is not arrogance at all. That belief gives him strength and motivation.

Nothing wrong it at all.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Does sound a bit full of himself but he's still awesome. Easily the greatest sub-continental cricketer there has ever been.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jordan was hardly a special player at Carolina and didnt even get drafted at no 1. Both of them are tremendous sporting role models but that isnt what I was referring to.
I think It will be fair to say that you do not have any knowledge of Jordan's College Career. From hitting the winning shot in the NCAA championship game to winning the NCCA player of the year in his Junior year to get picked into the Olympic team was probably not special enough for you but it is for everyone else.

Also the fact that Jordan wasn't drafted No. in the draft doesn't prove anything about his college career, all it shows that one of the guy who was selected ahead of him is arguably the biggest bust in NBA draft history and the other guy is in NBA HoF.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I loved Jordan's HoF speech. Had no idea that some disliked it.

Is that a common view in the States?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
There were a lot of mixed emotions from the critics and fans alike. I think many were simply thrown off since it was a very out-of-character thing for him to do.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Just read some of the reactions after doing a google search.

Interesting. I can see where they're coming from. But I never knew Jordan had a reputation as modest. Always seemed like a guy who didn't mind letting people know how good he was. Didn't think it was such a surprise.

Last edited:

mohammad16

U19 Captain
I think It will be fair to say that you do not have any knowledge of Jordan's College Career. From hitting the winning shot in the NCAA championship game to winning the NCCA player of the year in his Junior year to get picked into the Olympic team was probably not special enough for you but it is for everyone else.

Also the fact that Jordan wasn't drafted No. in the draft doesn't prove anything about his college career, all it shows that one of the guy who was selected ahead of him is arguably the biggest bust in NBA draft history and the other guy is in NBA HoF.
It matters less where the picks above him ended up, I was referring to the genuine perception at the time. We have all seen what happened with Kobe, Lebron etc which were drafted from high school. Jordan had nowhere near as much hype around him in college let alone in high school. Michael Jordan is on record as saying that game winning shot is where it all got started for him.

You have obviously taken me too literally, I was talking in relative terms and in those terms I am quite accurate. Look at Sachin, Lara, Kobe etc and you will notice Jordan wasn't expected to turn out great when he was at college.

You also would be a fool to not realize that where a person is drafted certainly speaks volumes of their performances, hype and potential in peoples eyes beforehand.

Jordan turned out to be the greatest basketball player of all time, but he had comparatively a very modest record before exploding onto the world scene in Chicago. And this is hardly a knock on him, it speaks volumes of his work ethic and competitiveness that he improved exponentially over the next few years. If you at all kept up with basketball, you would know his modest record prior to the NBA is constantly referred to by people who discuss Jordan.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
You also would be a fool to not realize that where a person is drafted certainly speaks volumes of their performances, hype and potential in peoples eyes beforehand.
I have lost you there, so No. 3 is no good especially when it is considered one of the best Draft ever and the other two drafted ahead were 7'+ centers ?

Jordan turned out to be the greatest basketball player of all time, but he had comparatively a very modest record before exploding onto the world scene in Chicago. .
And you make this claim Based on what ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It matters less where the picks above him ended up, I was referring to the genuine perception at the time. We have all seen what happened with Kobe, Lebron etc which were drafted from high school. Jordan had nowhere near as much hype around him in college let alone in high school. Michael Jordan is on record as saying that game winning shot is where it all got started for him.
Do you even know where Kobe Bryant was drafted ? If you figure that out I guess then you will find that you defeated your argument there.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Do you even know where Kobe Bryant was drafted ? If you figure that out I guess then you will find that you defeated your argument there.
I know where Kobe Bryant was drafted... But he was drafted out of high school... where he had a lot more hype, promise and potential as compared to Jordan when he was in high school. Where would Kobe be drafted had he attended college? Common sense would tell you, even if he carried on progressing at a very modest rate, he would be picked no 1.

Did I ever state Jordan was an absolute nobody in college? I am surprised you are at all challenging anything I said about Jordan's modest college career compared to what he eventually evolved into. This is all pretty standard and accepted if you were to actually look around or maybe perhaps if you questioned Jordan himself?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Did I ever state Jordan was an absolute nobody in college? I am surprised you are at all challenging anything I said about Jordan's modest college career compared to what he eventually evolved into. This is all pretty standard and accepted if you were to actually look around or maybe perhaps if you questioned Jordan himself?
I disagree with your assessment that Jordan had a modest college career and dispute your claim that It is a standard and accepted belief.

I am saying to you that he had an outstanding college career and he was regarded as one of the top prospects during his NC years, not only he helped his team win a national championship, was NCAA player of the year ahead of guys like Ewing, was selected to play for the USA Men's Olympic Basketball team and then was drafted No. 3. All these accolades speak for themselves and point to the fact that Jordan indeed had an outstanding College career during the years he played @ NC.

If you disagree with me then you have got to bring up some facts which backup your claim.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I know where Kobe Bryant was drafted... But he was drafted out of high school... where he had a lot more hype, promise and potential as compared to Jordan when he was in high school. Where would Kobe be drafted had he attended college? Common sense would tell you, even if he carried on progressing at a very modest rate, he would be picked no 1.
Why would you compare Kobe's High school performance with Jordan, no one is arguing about Jordan's High School performance. I was questioning your statements about Jordan's performance @ NC.

And it is pointless to predict where Kobe would have gone in the Draft had he decided to enter it couple of years later, it totally depends on the Draft Class and the needs of the teams that are picking.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I certainly don't agree with his views on Wasim and Waqar. I personally feel Waqar was the one who was a little laid back and more talented. The problem is, many ex-cricketers, cricket writers and Fans link 'talent' to 'romantic cricket'. Wasim could move the ball a mile, Waqar and Donald could pitch the ball up to the stumps every ball. Both different 'talents'. Both equally awesome.

This occurs while judging batting as well. Mark Waugh had the uncanny knack of playing his shots 'the way they are supposed to be played', while Steve Waugh changed his game early in his career to go on from a flashy average Batsman to one of the greatest the game has seen. Sure, his shots weren't exactly as delicately carved as those of Frank Wooley. But he got the runs. He got the runs. This might lead to people saying Mark Waugh 'wasted' his talent while ol' Steve overachieved 'as he had no batting talent but was filled with grit and determination'. Rubbish view IMO.

and yeah, Ashraful is not talented, thanks.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I certainly don't agree with his views on Wasim and Waqar. I personally feel Waqar was the one who was a little laid back and more talented. The problem is, many ex-cricketers, cricket writers and Fans link 'talent' to 'romantic cricket'. Wasim could move the ball a mile, Waqar and Donald could pitch the ball up to the stumps every ball. Both different 'talents'. Both equally awesome..
What is it that you do not agree with ? I think he is pretty spot on with his assessment of the two bowlers. Wasim was obviously the more talented one and also the fact that Waqar definitely seemed the mentally stronger one, he always attacked no matter what. I have rarely seen a bowler with that kind of attacking attitude and it must come a superior self belief in his bowling.

Teja.

Global Moderator
What is it that you do not agree with ? I think he is pretty spot on with his assessment of the two bowlers. Wasim was obviously the more talented one and also the fact that Waqar definitely seemed the mentally stronger one, he always attacked no matter what. I have rarely seen a bowler with that kind of attacking attitude and it must come a superior self belief in his bowling.
Fair enough. I personally feel Waqar is the most talented bowler I have ever seen.(Though I wouldn't consider it wrong for people to hold a different opinion)

His amazing ability to have a monstrous amount of swing in his yorkers and still land them with pin-point accuracy and his relent-less attack on the stumps were proof of his prodigious talent, for mine. Hell, the fact that many consider him to be an underachiever even after taking close to 400 wickets @ 23 runs per and a ridiculous, ridiculous SR says it all.

Wasim too, was insanely talented, and definitely in a more conventional sense of the word. But yeah Wqar>Wasim in natural ability IMO.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Ahh...this..was a cricketer oriented and a political oriented thread..btw...just a reminder..

Anyways, come on stop bashing Imran ...nothing wrong with what he is saying...nothing arrogant about it either.....