• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Time for 2 Tiers

Do you think 2 Tiers in Test Cricket will be handy?

• Total voters

kingkallis

International Coach
Teams like Pakistan and West Indies hitting the new lows...

Isn't it time to make 2 tiers for Cricket just how it used to be OR is in English Domestic Cricket?

Tier 1 : India, South Africa, Australia, England, Sri Lanka, New Zealand
Tier 2 : Pakistan, West Indies, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe

Number 6 in Tier 1 will be replaced by Number 1 from Tier 2

People say that these teams might learn a thing or two by playing against TOP teams! What Bangladesh have learnt in these years? Nothing...

They might gain some confidence by beating Pakistan or West Indies in Tier 2

Share your views!

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
Teams like Sri Lanka, New Zealand not getting more chance to play test cricket doesnt help as well!

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Not a fan of separating Test cricket into divisions. Uncompetitive cricket grinds my gears more than nearly anything, but I like it when the West Indies or Pakistan come to visit Australia. I would be bored, and I know many other fans would be bored too if it was the same teams year-in year-out coming to tour.

kingkallis

International Coach
Not a fan of separating Test cricket into divisions. Uncompetitive cricket grinds my gears more than nearly anything, but I like it when the West Indies or Pakistan come to visit Australia. I would be bored, and I know many other fans would be bored too if it was the same teams year-in year-out coming to tour.
When was the last time SL visited Australia?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Sure have 2 tiers but the 2nd cant be Test cricket. Test cricket is top level FC cricket played at the international level. If seperated then only the top tier fulfills that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hate the tier idea. We don't have as many teams like some leagues or sports which have 'Conferences' and what not.

There's very few teams already. To separate it will just make it worse.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hate the tier idea. We don't have as many teams like some leagues or sports which have 'Conferences' and what not.

There's very few teams already. To separate it will just make it worse.
Very much this.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty silly idea to be honest. Its easy to pick a scorecard of a Bangladesh test match now and rip the team apart and say how they havent improved. If you bother to look at their performances from 2000 onwards, you will be able to detect an improvement.

Players of the quality of Tamim, Shakib, Mahmudullah were nowhere to be found in Bangladesh 5 years ago.

If that is not improvement, I dont know what is. The only reason Bangladesh have these players is because they have played against teams like England, Australia and South Africa.

Its only when you pit yourself against the best that you improve your own game.

Reducing Bangladesh, Pakistan and West Indies to a relegated state would be severely damaging for their cricket.

Why should bowlers of the quality of Asif or Aamer be not allowed to dismiss the best batsmen in the world just because the batsmen in their own side are pathetic. Let them do their job. Its good for test cricket.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Perhaps you could do it a bit like the Scottish Premiership did/does. Spend three years where everyone plays each other home and away, then split in half and spend the next year playing only the people in your half.

And make it a proper league while they're at it, where a win get a certain number of points and it's not about playing someone just when they've suddenly got loads of points.

Slifer

International Captain
Where were all these calls for a two tier system when Oz and Eng were poor excuses for test standard teams in the 1980s? Thats all Im saying.

fredfertang

Test cricket is cyclical and always has been and it can change quickly - Australia hammered the WIndies 5-1 in 75/76 - look what happened afterwards

Pakistan today are an interesting case too - their batting has looked pathetic these last few days but add the two obvious candidates and they could beat anyone - and they beat Australia without them

To my mind Bangladesh are the only questionable team but even they are at least as strong as NZ, India and Pakistan were in the 60's and no one wanted to downgrade the status of their Tests then - they have also at last produced at least one (Tamim) truly international quality player and I think Shakib is nearly there too, although not, sadly, as a captain.

So leave well alone is my view

Slifer

International Captain
Exactly. And i dont see the point of two tiers ne way. We already have a limited number of test teams to begin with.

Test cricket is cyclical and always has been and it can change quickly - Australia hammered the WIndies 5-1 in 75/76 - look what happened afterwards

Pakistan today are an interesting case too - their batting has looked pathetic these last few days but add the two obvious candidates and they could beat anyone - and they beat Australia without them

To my mind Bangladesh are the only questionable team but even they are at least as strong as NZ, India and Pakistan were in the 60's and no one wanted to downgrade the status of their Tests then - they have also at last produced at least one (Tamim) truly international quality player and I think Shakib is nearly there too, although not, sadly, as a captain.

So leave well alone is my view
Agree that a two tier system isn't the answer but IMHO the bolded part is debatable.Bangladesh statistically are the worst ever in test history.India,Pak and NZ at least used to draw games....Bangladesh lose every single game..and badly at that.Just when you think they are improving,they sink to new lows.The only two series they have won are against Zim and a joke WI side.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's the future tours plan that's the issue, IMHO. By all means let Bangladesh play tests, but don't force countries to host them until they're competitive. Test cricket rattled along nicely for the better part of 120 years without the need for a mildly spurious test league table and no one generally agrees its standings most of the time anyway.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, the English system has had two tiers for a while now, anyone English posters want to offer their impressions or tell us what the press has been saying about it? Myself, I tend to agree with Jono but I'm interested in the experience of those who've actually implemented it.

HeathDavisSpeed

Well, the English system has had two tiers for a while now, anyone English posters want to offer their impressions or tell us what the press has been saying about it? Myself, I tend to agree with Jono but I'm interested in the experience of those who've actually implemented it.
That was a different kettle of fish, brought in mainly to avoid a huge number of meaningless fixtures towards the end of the English summer between two sides in mid-table with nothing to play for. The two divisions mean that those teams that would have been in mid-table are still scrapping over promotion/relegation.

The nature of test cricket is very different and every series is being fought over (though less so in dead rubbers)