• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jimmy Anderson v Matthew Hoggard; in perfect swing bowling conditions

Who is the better bowler in swinging conditions?

• Total voters

FBU

International Debutant
One of the weirder but unnoticed aspects of last year's Ashes was that Anderson after bowling two good spells (Lord's and Edgbaston, both 1st Innings) he basically vanished. Didn't take a single wicket in the last two tests and took a few ODI's to take his first wicket.
He pulled a hamstring at Headingley while batting and then the knee problem arose. In South Africa he was having injections into the knee. If he is fit and has had match practice he'll take wickets.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Firslty how am i wrong?. There is absolutely no way Anderson & the ENG bowlers got any swing & seam movement by the time SA started to bat. It was clearly decresed as the match progressed, i'm am not sure what you where saying. This is how J Agnew from BBC summarized that test performance:
I'm saying your wrong. The ball swung when England bowled and second innings when RSA bowled, therefore you are wrong. If you are interesting in digging stuff up, why not read ball by ball innings commentary on Cricinfo where it will explicitly states that there was swing apparent in aforementioned game.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Anderson Bowls with a angle so he is very good in friendly conditions,Where as hoggard has more straighter delivery action so he was good allover.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I'm saying your wrong. The ball swung when England bowled and second innings when RSA bowled, therefore you are wrong. If you are interesting in digging stuff up, why not read ball by ball innings commentary on Cricinfo where it will explicitly states that there was swing apparent in aforementioned game.
I meant to say "I dont know what you where watching". Since i find your statement baffling.

In centurion i did not swing for the ENG bowlers or the SA in that test, i remember it vividly it was only 6-8 months ago, so i dont need cricinfo commentary to tell me that. That article i showed you refering to the centurion test 1st day - proves my point. The greenish looking first day pitch did not play like a greentop. So you are wrong - you watched a different centurion test.

On Jo'Burg. Same thing i dont how you can tell me that the ENG bowlers especially Anderson got any swing in the SA 1st innings. Are you seriously going to tell me Jo'Burg in the SA 1st innings, was comparable to the Capetown 1st innings when the ball was swinging where Anderson took 5 wickets???

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Anderson Bowls with a angle so he is very good in friendly conditions,Where as hoggard has more straighter delivery action so he was good allover.
Interesting point. Puts me in mind of Caddick v Alderman. Not that Hoggard was in Alderman's class, though.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well TBF Hoggard wasn't always good allover. He has is days when he was plain useless in non-seaming conditons. He leart to reverse-swing the ball on flat decks very late in his career.

BTW. This poll is missing the "even" option.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anderson better in friendly conditions easily but Hoggard was better in unfriendly ones. Was the only English bowler who wasn't utter tripe in amazing Adelaide for example.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Biased and will always go for Hoggy over Jimmy,not just in swinging conditions but all conditions.Just wish Jimmy was half as good as Hoggy when it wasn't bending round corners.
Stand by this though will admit Jimmy improved dramatically when it wasn't swinging as he got older. The way Hoggy was dumped still hurts after he had carried Harmlessone for years.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Talk about cherry picking Mags. One game and one innings (a second one at that) hardly presents the picture of an attck over a full series.

vcs

What a great match that was. They were spooked a bit by Sehwag's assault on day 4 but recovered pretty well. They were still favorites to finish the job on day 5 but Sachin pulled out a special innings (with Yuvraj's support). Don't think they bowled that badly TBH.

Daemon

That match is a great example of why 100s in a winning cause is a rubbish stat.

Strauss tonned up twice but his bowlers couldn't seal the deal, and for some reason he's to be penalised for that.