Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Who do you think it is?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kevin Pietersen

13 20.00%
  • Micheal Clarke

25 38.46%
  • Gautam Gambhir

0 0%
  • AB DeVilliers

6 9.23%
  • Micheal Hussey

14 21.54%
  • DingDong

7 10.77%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Test Batsman who started his career in the Mid 00s.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Seriously difficult poll, considered all five options tbh.

I don't think De Villiers or Gambhir have really done enough yet, but I rate both very highly and expect at least one of them to be looked back on as genuinely top-class. KP seems to be going the wrong way at the moment and I'm reluctant to pick Hussey or Clarke because they've been formed the basis of a horrifically fragile Australian middle order over the past couple of years.

In the end I went for Hussey. Tough, tough poll though. It'll be interesting to see which candidates fall away and which pull ahead of the pack over the next few years.

Missed Watto in the poll.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

That's seriously tough.

Clarke - I think is actually on the improve and will keep building on this career, but in the main, has been in a good batting line up and team
    Pietersen - Has been losing form a touch for a while, but when he came on the scene he was something very special.
    Hussey - a phenomenal start, considering he has been moved up and down the order, but his numbers have come back to mere mortal numbers
    Gambhir - Came in when India didn't have a settled opening combo. Gets to bat with Sehwag, so a lot of pressure is off him, and he is in a great batting line up.
    De Villiers - Solid batsman in a good team for the last few years.

Hmmmm... I think Clarke will end up with the best numbers, so I'll vote for him. But chuck in another opener, and that's a seriously good top 6.

Cricketer Of The Year kingkallis's Avatar
    AB for me...
    CricZo XI - Draft Dashboard

15 Golds | 14 Silvers

Scorecard Draft - 2010 | Alphabetical Draft - 2011 | The Eras Draft - 2014 | All Time Australia Draft - 2016 | All England Draft - 2016 | Draft By Nation - 2016 | Dual 00-10 Draft - 2017 | Dual 80-90 Draft - 2017 | Silent Auction Draft - 2018 | We are NOT #1 - 2018 | Centuries Draft - 2018 | ODI Partnership Draft - 2018 | Chain Draft - 2018

All Time Trading Game - 2016 | ICC Sim League VI - 2018

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Voted for whom I think would be the best among these guys, not on who IS currently.. Hence ABDV...
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Husssssssssssssssssss!
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Don't really rate Gambhir in the same category as Clarke/Pietersen/ABdeV. Nor does anyone else based on the poll.

Hussey - that entirely depends on what 'best' means. For two-three years he was as good as Ponting was at the time. And Ponting was better than anyone else I have ever seen, so that is extraordinary praise. But to call him the best with his OK-mediocre-holyhellthat'sdire run of form over the last two years is tough.

Pietersen - I have no idea what's happened to him. This should be his time to shine, and he doesn't look like shining. I think he can get back to his "glory" 05-06-07 form again, but I don't think he can reach the kind of phenomenal peak that everyone expected of him. He just has a mental thing, I have no idea why.

Clarke - probably the firmest candidate, for reasons that should be obvious to all. Mostly, however, because he has shown one shining quality above all the others and that is an ability to work feverishly on his own game.

ABdeV - the dark horse. For some reason I can help thinking that he's SA's Clarke and as such could have a stellar 6-7 years.
    Last edited by Spark; 30-07-2010 at 12:52 AM.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Don't really rate Gambhir in the same category as Clarke/Pietersen/ABdeV. Nor does anyone else based on the poll.
    Not 100% true as we are allowed only 1 vote. I feel for Gambhir cause he's up against 4 middle order bats and is coming off a pair!

I love AB, but voted for Clarke.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Not 100% true as we are allowed only 1 vote. I feel for Gambhir cause he's up against 4 middle order bats and is coming off a pair!

I love AB, but voted for Clarke.
    Eh, you would've thought that someone would have voted for him based on how polls work out.

Not saying he's a bad player by any means, just that he's not quite in the same league as those three I've named (Hussey because of his age is different)

Hmm well if they all retired right now I'd say Hussey. I'd take Clarke ahead of him for a Test starting tomorrow though and I'm confident it'll be Clarke who finishes his career in the highest esteem.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Pietersen for me but he seems to have lost his focus and at present Clarke is a better player.KP is in danger of throwing away his career the way he is going as he hasn't made a ton for 18 months in any form of the game according to TMS yesterday which for such a good player is an abysmal record despite the months he missed injured.

Clarke for me, very solid batsmen.

International Debutant slowfinger's Avatar
    Must go for Huss after his P H E N O M I N A L start. And his ability to annoy Pakistan...
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Clarke for mine, though tbf I haven't really seen all that much of Gambhir and ABDV. Pietersen and Hussey far too inconsistent of late though.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    They've all had poor years at some point or another. Clarke was dropped in 2006, ABD was pretty average until 2008, Pietersen has been average since 2008 and Hussey has been average since 2008. Gambhir I dont think is a realistic option because he wasnt a regular till the summer of 2008.

Out of all those names, perhaps Clarke has been the most consistent and he may very well end up being the best out of all of them but Hussey in 2005-06-07 was simply sensational and I think he is still a very good player.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information