• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tri-Series

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
and guess what

Sangakkara blasts Sehwag for stoking fire

Relations between Indian and Sri Lankan cricketers continue to nosedive following Suraj Randiv’s deliberate act of overstepping to deny Virender Sehwag a century in their previous tri-series game. Even as a still-irate Virender Sehwag taunted the Lankans of being afraid of losing in a twitter post, an under-pressure Kumar Sangakkara blasted the batsman for speaking with a forked tongue and creating a controversy. He also hinted the powerful Indian cricket board and its players were always trying to manipulate things to their advantage, while admitting that his team’s reputation as standout upholders of the spirit of the game had taken a beating. Referring to India’s Monkeygate controversy in Australia, Sangakkara said Sri Lanka can’t take sole proprietorship of unsavoury incidents in cricket

He also criticized Sehwag for not making his displeasure clear at the post-match presentation itself. Sehwag had told commentator Tony Greig immediately after the match that he had no problems with the no-ball since India had won the game anyway, but at the post-match press conference he had sounded angry, insisting Randiv’s act was deliberate and in clear violation of the spirit of the game.

A furious Sangakkara accused Sehwag of being unsportsmanlike. "There’s nothing special to say to Sehwag," he said. "He said one thing at the match presentation and there was a marked contrast in the press conference with regard to that no-ball. I have spoken to Mahi and Gary Kirsten. Sehwag has tweeted that there have been other such approaches made to him (Randiv also went up and apologized). I think if you all talk of the spirit, once you set things in motion it’s the responsibility of all players to be within that spirit.

"We can’t expect just one side to keep making the advances and holding out the hand while it has been sensationalized by other players. I think everyone’s got the responsibility to move on from this incident. We have regretted it. We have addressed it."

Sangakkara also said India’s muscle-flexing antics in international cricket had made things more difficult for his team. "It (the act) was in the heat of the moment (but) it’s India and we have to understand the repercussions as well. The (Lankan) board has done everything to make sure there’s transparency. That’s their prerogative. As players, our prerogative is to play. We should be able to have a mentality to rise above. India is a big country, the media there is one of the strongest and they always try to take advantage whenever something happens."

Talking about Randiv’s act itself, Sangakkara said, "It’s a grey area. But I don’t think it’s going to affect the relationship. I regret what happened overall. There’s been some damage done to the reputation."
Its better not to make such kind of statements now...BTW next match b/n INDIA and Sl will be a matter of self-pride....:cool:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This could actually work out quite well for little old NZ! SL and India are so preoccupied with each other they could be caught off-guard.

Maybe just wishful thinking.

Flem274*

123/5
B McCullum isn't over here, but Kyle Mills and Scott Styris have plenty to say. Wonder if we'll join the fun? :p

If Oram comes back in (if) I don't want McKay dropped. I'd like to keep Southee in the side as well though, just don't make such a ****ed up batting order.

Ingram/Guptill
Watling
Taylor
Styris
Williamson
Elliott (dropping him last match was nuts.)
McCullum
Hopkins
Mills
Southee/Oram
McKay

Howsie

International Captain
Guptill
Watling
Taylor
Williamson
Styris
Elliott
Hopkins
McCullum
Mills
Tuffey
Southee

New Zealand really doesn't need Oram at the moment, really struggling to see what he provides for this team which already has enough mediocre lower order batting depth.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Blame SLC more likely. They're the ones who keep pocketing the cash.
And were lame enough to be BCCI's whore. And BCCI taking full advantage of it.

Please, Arjuna, cross over to the governing party, and be the head of SLC. That will do lot better for SL cricket.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
If Randiv had not apologised there wouldn't have been any trouble. The apology proved the no-ball was deliberate and gave leverage for people to take action.
You are appearing to understand it. Randiv would have never apologized. I earlier said he's a borderline prick. SLC with instruction most likely coming from BCCI, has forced Randiv to apologize. I said it way before the drama unfolded, that it is highly dubious why SLC got involved here.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Indians are making hell out of the issue...Indian players & media are making as if they have lost the world cup with this..Is Sehwag's hundred thattt important on that day?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
not picking on Sehwag, if he wanted to end it with a glory shot he has every right to do so. (had 2 chances two previous balls)
And if Dilshan/Randiv didn't want him to for whatever reason (showing them up, being dicks etc), they had every right to stop it as well, no matter how petty/cheap it seems.

Which is back to my original point of a whole lot of noise for absolutely nothing.
Well.. they were being ****s but things should have ended with the apology.

That said, perhaps SLC do care about their "spirit of cricket" image? :ph34r:

Raghav

ICC should make the runs scored of the front foot no ball vaild and entered in to scorebooks ..what the hell of the rule was it?

Why blame Randiv...when we have loopholes in our rule book?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Does anyone think the Randiv thing deserves its own thread? It's obviously a valid topic to discuss here but it's taken over the tour thread which is generally just reserved for actual cricketing discussion, and I sort of get disappointed whenever I open this thread and I see it's more Randiv stuff. :p

Any quick thoughts on a thread split with all the posts moved?

Raghav

Does anyone think the Randiv thing deserves its own thread? It's obviously a valid topic to discuss here but it's taken over the tour thread which is generally just reserved for actual cricketing discussion, and I sort of get disappointed whenever I open this thread and I see it's more Randiv stuff. :p

Any quick thoughts on a thread split with all the posts moved?
If there is any need to open a new thread.. It should be on

"Should the runs scored of front foot no ball be counted at the completion of chase?"

Raghav

Tweet from Pat Symocox

"What's the fuss over bowling a no-ball to stop a century!batters stand and deny bowlers wickets when they have hit the ball!"