• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tri-Series

Himannv

International Coach
How is that relevant? They consider the case closed after accepting it.. it's the SLC's decision to ban, fine etc...
IMO you're seeing what you want to see. Perhaps reread the first line of Migara's post. He said "BCCI + SLC was behind the apology?".

You categorically stated that BCCI had nothing to do with it, which is why I asked you if they perhaps didn't want the apology.

The actions afterwards were obviously the SLC trying to "follow-up" on their ass kissing.

Sri Lanka v India: SLC apologises to Sehwag for no-ball incident | Cricket News | Sri Lanka Triangular Series | Cricinfo.com

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
IMO you're seeing what you want to see. Perhaps reread the first line of Migara's post. He said "BCCI + SLC was behind the apology?".

You categorically stated that BCCI had nothing to do with it, which is why I asked you if they perhaps didn't want the apology.

The actions afterwards were obviously the SLC trying to "follow-up" on their ass kissing.

Sri Lanka v India: SLC apologises to Sehwag for no-ball incident | Cricket News | Sri Lanka Triangular Series | Cricinfo.com
FWIW, I think the apology was warrated but the rest are totally unnecessary... I mean, if they are making it clear it was Dilshan who gave the idea, why punish Randiv? What was a guy who has just come into international cricket supposed to do? NOT listen to the vice captain??????

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I doubt they went and demanded the apology or anything.. Sehwag said he was disappointed, apart from that everything else seems to have been initiated by the SLC.

Agree with HonestBharani's post above as well.

Himannv

International Coach
Well I didn't really make the point. Its the article in CricInfo that said it.

Dont get me wrong. SLC is more to blame here for caving in to pressure and trying to please other governing bodies just to make sure their pockets continue to be filled. Frankly its nothing new.

Shri

Mr. Glass
If Randiv had not apologised there wouldn't have been any trouble. The apology proved the no-ball was deliberate and gave leverage for people to take action.

Lostman

State Captain
This is such a disgrace.
Randiv and Dilshan were being childish and I found it amusing, but this is soooooo overblown.
tbh, didn't even think he needed to apologize, Sehwag wanted a glory shot to get to his 100 and win the game.

So far on this tour SLC has managed to;
1) Suspend Randiv for hurting Sehwags feelings.
2) Detain SLfans when they hurt Yuvrajs feelings.

All that is left is to let Sangakarra flip a double sided coin for the next toss against India.
Surely Dhoni cant lose his nth consecutive toss that way.
Last thing SLC would want to do is hurt Dhoni's feelings.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
FWIW, it's ridiculous to pick on Sehwag for wanting to end it with a 'glory shot'.

It is obviously part of a contest of one upmanship between the two teams, for whatever reasons. Dilshan chose to end the first test with a six, Raina then ended the third test with a six, and Sehwag wanted to end this ODI with a six. There's definitely something that's been brewing there for a while. To pretend that Randiv/Dilshan were justified in deciding to bowl the deliberate no ball to prevent Sehwag from doing so too is missing the big picture.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Didn't Sehwag try to take singles from the two previous balls though?
In that case the excuse that's being presented ("Sehwag going for the glory shot justifies the deliberate no ball") becomes even more weaker.

Lostman

State Captain
not picking on Sehwag, if he wanted to end it with a glory shot he has every right to do so. (had 2 chances two previous balls)
And if Dilshan/Randiv didn't want him to for whatever reason (showing them up, being dicks etc), they had every right to stop it as well, no matter how petty/cheap it seems.

Which is back to my original point of a whole lot of noise for absolutely nothing.

BeeGee

International Captain
Maybe we can put no-ball-gate behind us and actually discuss the cricket?

The series is interestingly poised with all three teams having a comfortable win and a heavy defeat. SL have a slight disadvantage without having won a bonus point.
For the next game, with Randiv out, SL will need a replacement. Personally I'd pick Mendis. The guy's a class bowler in my book.
On the NZ side, Oram is back from injury and will probably take the place of either Southee or McKay. I'd play McKay ahead of Southee, Southee's economy rate is just too high for ODI cricket.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
not picking on Sehwag, if he wanted to end it with a glory shot he has every right to do so. (had 2 chances two previous balls)
And if Dilshan/Randiv didn't want him to for whatever reason (showing them up, being dicks etc), they had every right to stop it as well, no matter how petty/cheap it seems.

Which is back to my original point of a whole lot of noise for absolutely nothing.
That's the crux of the disagreement. You're playing it down, which allows you to pretend it was a non issue. You obviously have a different idea of how the game should be played to those you're disagreeing with. Obviously SLC converting it into an International crisis is over the top, and I don't think you'll find much disagreement there, but there is no denying that what Randiv did wasn't in the spirit of the game.

Last edited:

Lostman

State Captain
That's the crux of the disagreement. You're playing it down, which allows you to pretend it was a non issue. You obviously have a different idea of how the game should be played to those you're disagreeing with.
I am American and I watch a lot of baseball:ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Of course Randiv should be suspended by SLC. But the fact that doing what he did left Sehwag stranded on 99* has nothing to do with it - when the scores are tied, it's utterly pathetic for a bowler to bowl a deliberate no-ball, and if I was his captain, he'd be out on his arse.