• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tri-Series

Himannv

International Coach
Can't believe there's so much said about this lol. In test matches when the batsman is nearing his hundred and when captains bring their field in to try and stop the century against their name no one sits and cries and throws a tantrum. I dont see this as anything different from that. Stopping the batsman from scoring a century against you is hardly rare. I also dont think Sanga had much to do with it. Perhaps Randiv purposely overstepped, perhaps he didn't. What are we going to do, give the benefit of the doubt to the batsman?

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Can't believe there's so much said about this lol. In test matches when the batsman is nearing his hundred and when captains bring their field in to try and stop the century against their name no one sits and cries and throws a tantrum. I dont see this as anything different from that. Stopping the batsman from scoring a century against you is hardly rare. I also dont think Sanga had much to do with it. Perhaps Randiv purposely overstepped, perhaps he didn't. What are we going to do, give the benefit of the doubt to the batsman?
In test matches you bring the field up and try to get him out. Don't know how you can even tie them both togther. Anyway Randiv and SLC have apologised.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not really.. When you change the field, you are still giving a chance to the batter and his partner if they are good enough. Bowling a no ball is just silly.

I don't think it is that big a deal.. Unsporting? yes. Silly? to an extent. But to me, it is just one of a number of things that shows Sanga ain't going too far as a captain... That attitude is not of a champion side... That is all. FWIW, I think India might not have done the same...

EDIT: left the "not" earlier.. changed everything. lol.

Last edited:
Randiv had never bowled a no-ball before that in his entire career....and to top it all, he went and apologised in the Indian dressing room apparently.....There is no doubt whatsoever that it was deliberate.

And comparing it to captains bringing the field in is absurd.That is done to frustrate the batsman and try and get his wicket,what Randiv did was throw away whatever chance there was of getting a couple of wickets and making the scoreline more respectable just to deny Sehwag a 100.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In test matches you bring the field up and try to get him out. Don't know how you can even tie them both togther. Anyway Randiv and SLC have apologised.
Randiv had never bowled a no-ball before that in his entire career....and to top it all, he went and apologised in the Indian dressing room apparently.....There is no doubt whatsoever that it was deliberate.

And comparing it to captains bringing the field in is absurd.That is done to frustrate the batsman and try and get his wicket,what Randiv did was throw away whatever chance there was of getting a couple of wickets and making the scoreline more respectable just to deny Sehwag a 100.
Well, then that's fair enough by Randiv, SLC and Sanga. Hopefully we can put it behind us and move on. Trust the Indian media will make a mountain of this molehill though. 8-)

Has Broad come out and apologised in the media for his idiotic behavior, BTW?

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Flem274* said:
Ah, so right on the sweet spot for suspicion but not enough for confirmation...

Bowlers have the howler overstep all the time, and I understand he bowled four legitimate dot balls previous to Sehwag?

I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt. It's dodge, but not enough for me.
That's not even close to an interpretation of that no ball. He's a spinner.

Himannv

International Coach
Randiv should be banned from cricket and fined heavily for overstepping. He's a cheat and should not play ever again. Overstepping is unforgivable IMO. :ph34r:

Stapel

International Regular
Randiv is getting too much criticism. He bowled 4 perfectly OK deliveries first. The first resulted in the 4 byes, the 2nd was actually converted to a dead ball by Sehwag himself, and then 2 dot balls followed. It's not like Sehwag was denied any chance to get to his 100....

Apart from that, it's not about the 100, imho. The match stops when the winning runs are there. Would Sehwag have hit a boundary, when only one run is needed, it would have had an effect on the run-rates of both teams. Therefor, it was the sensible thing for Randiv to make sure he would only leak a single. And the best way to do so...., is to overstep.

One might argue that's not great sportsmanship either, but it has nothing to do with denying a century.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So cringeworthy reading through this thread. It's not like it was going to be his maiden ODI century or anything, and like others have pointed out, he'd already faced a couple of dot balls beforehand, so for all we know it could've been accident. More importantly though, who cares? Randiv didn't break any rules, and maybe Sehwag should stop trying to blast it for six whenever he's within reach of a century and just go for an easy single instead. Storm in a huge teacup.

Shri

Mr. Glass
So cringeworthy reading through this thread. It's not like it was going to be his maiden ODI century or anything, and like others have pointed out, he'd already faced a couple of dot balls beforehand, so for all we know it could've been accident. More importantly though, who cares? Randiv didn't break any rules, and maybe Sehwag should stop trying to blast it for six whenever he's within reach of a century and just go for an easy single instead. Storm in a huge teacup.
Why should he stop going for a six?

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Why the **** should he stop going for a six?
Because Sachin told him not to lol.

He has lost his wicket in the past trying to do that (coincidently against Randiv). But Sehwag will be Sehwag I suppose and thats the way he plays. Besides its far more entertaining to watch if he does that anyways.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Randiv and the SLC have apologised to Sehwag. Time to put this behind and stop pretending it was a non-issue.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
those of you who are commenting? Did u even see the no ball?

And yeah, it did not break rules but it is against the spirit of the game and that is why the guy came out and apologized and that is why his captain didn't even defend him...

Wonder if andyc would be saying this had it been Broad denying Ponting.... :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Randiv is getting too much criticism. He bowled 4 perfectly OK deliveries first. The first resulted in the 4 byes, the 2nd was actually converted to a dead ball by Sehwag himself, and then 2 dot balls followed. It's not like Sehwag was denied any chance to get to his 100....

Apart from that, it's not about the 100, imho. The match stops when the winning runs are there. Would Sehwag have hit a boundary, when only one run is needed, it would have had an effect on the run-rates of both teams. Therefor, it was the sensible thing for Randiv to make sure he would only leak a single. And the best way to do so...., is to overstep.

One might argue that's not great sportsmanship either, but it has nothing to do with denying a century.
coz that is the only way to stop a 6!!!!! You do understand that getting a wicket would have meant a dot ball and a better NRR for SL, don't you? 8-)

And of course it is not a non issue coz the SLC and Randiv have both apologized and Sanga was pretty scathing about him talking to the player in question in the post-match...

Himannv

International Coach
Who's that guy who bowled out Bradman in his last test? Eric Hollies wasn't it? That guy is such a cheat!!! How dare he deny a well deserved 100 average..!! Outrageous :P