• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-time Test XI with a twist

L Trumper

State Regular
I guess cowdrey can come in for may. What about ted dexter does he fit?

edit: dexter avgs 47 he doesn't fit

Himannv

International Coach
Good one. Not sure about Frank Worrell's batting average. If he fits the criteria, shouldn't he be in place of Macartney? I shall personally take Clem Hill over Greenidge, and make Trumper open. Yeah, and Peter May too deserves a place there (as pasag points out below). Might drop Clem Hill too in that case.

Also, how much did Compton average?
Both Compton and Worrell average too high, as does May.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Actually, the criteria means some pretty exciting cricketers that I've seen....

1. Slater
2. Greenidge
3. Chappell
4. Waugh
5. Gower
6. Crowe
7. Botham
8. Marsh
9. McDermott
10. Thomson
11. McGill

King Pietersen

International Captain
1. WG Grace
2. Victor Trumper
3. Kumar Ranjitsinhji
4. Martin Crowe
5. Mark Waugh
6. Ian Botham
7. Kapil Dev
8. Rod Marsh +
9. Harold Larwood
10. Subhash Gupte
11. Jeff Thomson

Happy with that.

L Trumper

State Regular
Actually, the criteria means some pretty exciting cricketers that I've seen....

1. Slater
2. Greenidge
3. Chappell
4. Waugh
5. Gower
6. Crowe
7. Botham
8. Marsh
9. McDermott
10. Thomson
11. McGill
That batting line up consists of who and who of attacking - both elegant & murderous - batsmen and two of the games most innovative captains.. Bowling although aus heavy look fine.. One could watch this team play everyday whether its batting or bowling or bowling changes or field settings.. everything is going to be awesome.

aussie tragic

International Captain
That batting line up consists of who and who of attacking - both elegant & murderous - batsmen and two of the games most innovative captains.. Bowling although aus heavy look fine.. One could watch this team play everyday whether its batting or bowling or bowling changes or field settings.. everything is going to be awesome.
Not planned and Kumble, Ntini and Gough were considered, however Lee and Hughes would be my next picks so it wouldn't change the Aus heavy look...I was looking for bowlers who took 4-5 wkts a match and it didn't matter if a few runs were leaked....

Last edited:

Jezroy

State Captain
Saeed Anwar
G Kirsten
J Langer
M Crowe
Mohammed Azharuddin
Kapil Dev
I Botham
I Smith (wk)
D Gough
C McDermott
L Gibbs

Great batting line up, though very left handed at the top. I know Healy was a legend, but I like the idea of Smith coming in at 8 to have a go, and Smith was a great wicket keeper. Plenty of bowling in there. If you need another spin option, would probably drop one of Gough or McDermott for B Bedi. But the pace bowlers all have plenty of wickets at a pretty good strike rate. Considered dropping one of Both and Kapil for Chris Cairns cos I just loved the way he played, and I don't think his final stats were a fair reflection of his talent. But then I remembered that was the same with Botham, and Kapil had to bowl in India a heck of a lot and still keep that record.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surprised one M D Crowe hasn't been included in more of the batting line-ups to be honest, tragically under-rated batsman & primarily due to the era he played in imho

Jezroy

State Captain
Surprised one M D Crowe hasn't been included in more of the batting line-ups to be honest, tragically under-rated batsman & primarily due to the era he played in imho
And the team and conditions he played in also.

But yeah, Crowey was a legend. Just wish he could have had kness to match his batting talent. A fit Martin Crowe for a few more years would have been awesome - imagine the likes of Astle, Fleming, McMillan, Cairns having been in a team with the guy. Awesome.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ather's XI

W.G Grace
Victor Trumper
------------
Martin Crowe
-----------
Ian Botham
Kapil Dev
Don Tallon
Harold Larwood
Anil Kumble (debatable IMO)
Jeff Thomson

KingViv

Cricket Spectator
1. Saeed Anwar
2. Gordon Greenidge
3. Eddie Barlow (*)
4. Martin Crowe
5. Kumar Ranjitsinhji
6. Gundappa Viswanath
7. Ian Botham
8. Kapil Dev
9. Godfrey Evans (+)
10. Jeff Thomson
11. Subhash Gupte

12th Man: Mohammad Azharuddin.

Slick slip cordon with Barlow and Botham, both of whom would be standing next to one of the best wicketkeepers all-time. Pretty happy with my list. Surprised no one chose Vishy or Evans before me.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Saeed Anwar
Justin Langer
Martin Crowe
Aravinda De Silva
Ian Chappell
Ian Botham
Ian Healy
Saqlain Mushtaq
Chaminda Vaas
Lance Gibbs