• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2010

Matt79

Global Moderator
Still a couple of months away, but conversation starting in a number of threads already, and anticipation building. Mod to sticky please.

TBA vs Australians (Mohali) - Sep 25-27

1st Test - Mohali - Oct 1-5

2nd Test - Bangalore - Oct 9-13

1st ODI - Kochi - Oct 17

2nd ODI - Visakhapatnam - Oct 20

Would like to see an Aussie team of:
Katich
Hughes
Watson
Clarke
Ponting
Hussey
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Harris
Bollinger

With
Paine
Hilfenhaus
Smith
Siddle

In the squad, fitness permitting. Can't see them moving Ponting however - that being the case, I wouldn't be totally opposed to Hughes being brought in at 6 (get him in the team and get experience under his belt until a top order spot opens up) or Smith coming in at the expense of North.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Good idea starting the thread; don't think I'll sticky it before Australia at least names a squad or something though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Be interesting to see the crowd numbers and coverage in India, with it somewhat clashing with the Commonwealth Games.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Be interesting to see the crowd numbers and coverage in India, with it somewhat clashing with the Commonwealth Games.
lol.. trust me it will be more of a topic of discussion than the CWG but perhaps the attendances won't be great, given the centres.. Bangalore should draw a good crowd but not sure of Mohali.

And expect Australia to be all kinds of awesome in this series. We will be lucky to draw both games, esp.given the bowling. Aussie bowling is awesome on flat tracks and so is their batting. Our batting could be great but if we always end up facing huge first dig totals, our batting can crumble against the sustained attack of the Aussie pacemen.. Think it will be 1-0 Australia easily. :(

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Mohali is as Helpful as it gets for the fast bowlers In India with the bounce and Carry and i Expect Ishant to do well there like the last time.
Harbhajan also enjoys bowling there as it offers turn and bounce. And he Enjoys that not slow turn with low bounce.

As for Bangalore if it is a slow low track i see India struggling, if it holds together like in the first test match against South africa recently i see India struggling versus the second test match played on a wicket with more carry and bounce where India and Harbhajan both did well.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Well, I'm in India, and I can confirm that we don't give a damn for the CWG. Newspapers need to run stories, and they're baseless speculations. Any sparse crowds at the stadia for the Tests will have more to do with the general decline in numbers we've been witnessing of late, rather than the Games at Delhi.

Why they've scheduled a Test at Mohali is beyond me. The attendance at the last Test held there was shameful. Well, I guess it's better than yet another match at vibrant and exciting Nagpur. It's also the winter, so I hope we get bigger crowds.

pasag

RTDAS
Play the series in England, IMO. Even if we lose (which we would, imho), it'll be so much better.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The commonwealth games are a big event here in Delhi at the moment. They have basically the whole City dug up at the moment.

But doubt it will affect attendances in Mohali or Bangalore though.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The commonwealth games are a big event here in Delhi at the moment. They have basically the whole City dug up at the moment.

But doubt it will affect attendances in Mohali or Bangalore though.
There's absolutely no way it's going to affect the TV viewership either.

pasag

RTDAS
Well, I'm in India, and I can confirm that we don't give a damn for the CWG. Newspapers need to run stories, and they're baseless speculations. Any sparse crowds at the stadia for the Tests will have more to do with the general decline in numbers we've been witnessing of late, rather than the Games at Delhi.

Why they've scheduled a Test at Mohali is beyond me. The attendance at the last Test held there was shameful. Well, I guess it's better than yet another match at vibrant and exciting Nagpur. It's also the winter, so I hope we get bigger crowds.
Can't talk about how it'll impact on cricket, but it's the type of thing that you get caught up in only after it starts. That said when they were over here 4 years ago it was so annoying. Still bitter about getting three ridiculous fines from the police because they decide to dedicate lanes throughout the city just for commonwealth games vehicles.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Severely doubt that this will happen, but hopefully a 2-0 or 3-0 loss to Sri Lanka will catalyse the selectors to go in with...

1. Gambhir
2. Sehwag
3. Dravid
4. Tendulkar
5. Laxman
6. Yuvraj/Pujara
7. Dhoni
8. Harbhajan
9. Mishra
10. Patel
11. Kulkarni

G.I.Joe

International Coach
No pasag, you don't get it, it's a cultural thing. We don't give a damn about the games unless one of us is close to winning a bronze or something, in which case we still won't watch the actual event, but rather listen to the shallow 'analysis' on the evening news instead. I've lived through years of CWG's and Asian Games in the country. It's always the same. We simply do not follow other sports in the manner many other countries do. The only game that's followed properly in the country is cricket (and hockey and football to an extent), and Australia are always top draw here.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
No pasag, you don't get it, it's a cultural thing. We don't give a damn about the games unless one of us is close to winning a bronze or something, in which case we still won't watch the actual event, but rather listen to the shallow 'analysis' on the evening news instead. I've lived through years of CWG's and Asian Games in the country. It's always the same. We simply do not follow other sports in the manner many other countries do. The only game that's followed properly in the country is cricket (and hockey and football to an extent), and Australia are always top draw here.
When was the last time the Commonwealth Games were in India?

Quick look at the papers also indicate a fair bit of hype for them.

Not saying you're wrong obv, just saying I think people tend to get more interested in a home event like the CG with all the related stories surrounding it once it starts.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Severely doubt that this will happen, but hopefully a 2-0 or 3-0 loss to Sri Lanka will catalyse the selectors to go in with...

1. Gambhir
2. Sehwag
3. Dravid
4. Tendulkar
5. Laxman
6. Yuvraj/Pujara
7. Dhoni
8. Harbhajan
9. Mishra
10. Patel
11. Kulkarni
What's the go with Zaheer and Sreesanth? Any chance of them being fit for this?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
When was the last time the Commonwealth Games were in India?

Quick look at the papers also indicate a fair bit of hype for them.

Not saying you're wrong obv, just saying I think people tend to get more interested in a home event like the CG with all the related stories surrounding it once it starts.
Meant CWG on TV. I don't think we've hosted the CWG before, in my lifetime atleast.