Thread: Injuries and their effects on teams (and player absences)

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar

Injuries and their effects on teams (and player absences)

Over the past week or so we've been debating who sits where in the test pack. This thread is inspired by a PEWPEW post in the locked version for the also-rans.

A common variable is injuries. Everyone posts full strength line ups, but for many of these sides they are hardly ever likely to happen or bonuses. England when they had Flintoff, India with Zaheer, West Indies with Edwards and Taylor, NZ back when they had Bond. You get the picture.

One of the big possible variables worldwide is Dale Steyn for South Africa. Yes Morkel has improved but removing the best fast bowler in the world leaves a huge hole.

Then there are Sri Lanka and Pakistan, who look nice fully in on paper but if you remove Malinga, YK, MoYo, Asif...remove them and they don't look too good.

I think one of the biggest ruiners would be removing Vettori or Taylor from New Zealand.

I think the biggest reason for Australia's success since well...ever....is their lack of injuries. Warne and McGrath almost always played.

Now they get to sweat a little over Watson, Hilfy, Johnson. But they've had a decent run at times with these players as well and put in solid performances.

Anyway, going on the most likely line ups and taking depth into account, how do you think the sides are affected? I realise there are variable answers, but I think injury is often seen as an inconvenience when comparing teams as opposed to a real bone of contention.
    It's a bit like back in the day people (pre-2006) used to say NZ without Bond=mid table and NZ with Bond=up there. NZ hardly ever had Bond, so really they were just mid-table.

Also, why do some countries have more injuries than others?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    A lot of it has to do with the systems in place, I'd imagine. Clearly a better physio, and better training and workout regimes will prevent injuries for the top level players, but also systems that are in place for younger cricketers to sort out kinks in their bowling action and make sure they're doing the right sort of training so that when they come through they're not breaking down every two games. Whether or not that had anything to do with it, but surely part of the reason for Australia's dominance in the 00's was their very small amount of injuries, especially like you said to their pivotal players in Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Oz has been forced to use 18 fast bowlers in the last 24 months due to injuries so there goes that theory!

vcs
    I'd say Warne and McGrath had their fair share of injuries and absences but the Aussie bowling depth from that period is very underrated. In fact I even created a thread about it once. Here it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Banned
    Pakistan drew with Aus without their 2 best batsmen where as India were hammered by SA at home without Dravid & Laxman in 1st test.

Yeah, but India didn't lose 13 consecutive tests to SA prior to that
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Think even the most optimistic England fan (that's Corrin, ftr) has admitted defeat on ever seeing Jones the Swerve back in an England shirt. Crying shame, really. How many of us thought the 4th test in 2005 would be his last?

Could be nudging 300 test wickets now if he'd stayed fit.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Priveliged by the accolade BB just awarded me but can confirm he's correct
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Oz has been forced to use 18 fast bowlers in the last 24 months due to injuries so there goes that theory!
    And all of them would make the Indian Bowling attack at the moment.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    I like what England/Flower is attempting to do at the moment. Not everyone is a fan of a rotation policy but since injuries are unavoidable, having 15+ players who could make up your first 11 without too big hole being created is something I think all teams should be aiming for.

Thread Information