• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best of The Rest - NZ, WI, Pak, Bang in tests

Who is the best test team of these teams?

• Total voters

T-Dub

Cricket Spectator
To put a full strength Windies side on par with Bangladesh is pretty harsh, in fact at full strength we'd definitely give both Pakistan and NZ a good run... Just a year ago we drew to NZ in NZ so to say they're streaks better is again pretty harsh...

Think the problem lies in the depth of the Windies side, Pak just had Riaz come in and take a 5wh and not one fast bowler is capable in that Windies side outside Roach Edwards and Taylor of doing anything close to that... The three at full fitness is pretty strong, granted not as good as Pakistans, but second in my opinion... Coupled with a full strength batting line up of the likes of Gayle and Sarwan, with Darren Bravo improving all the time, getting ready to replace an aging Shiv, and Dwayne whom is definitely capable of getting his test average up to at least 30... NZ can only really boast Taylor and Vettori, while Pakistan can only boast MoYo, and U. Akmal when he decides to learn how to play test cricket...

Whilst I reckon Pakistan are the strongest of the sides, at full strength Windies would give Pak a good go and just outgun NZ in my mind, though this is pretty far off happening with our seamers, and as our depth is non-existant NZ probs have the edge in that matter...

Btw, one poster (sorry can't remember who) said that Taylor had done nothing since England, and whilst that's completelu true, he's also been injured for the duration since that test match, never being close to full fitness, always playing a test then missing one etc. which obviously does no favours for him...
I see what you're saying but my opinion is based on current teams though, which aren't at full strength. I tend to agree with you though, a full strength WI team would be a handful for anyone, especially if Gayle and Pollard have good days with bat and ball.

If full strength, NZ would have Ryder, who is fairly formidable in tests up the order, but sadly we've seen little of him due to injury. NZ's batting always looks great on paper, with the batting going almost to 10 but the mindset within the team isn't right yet.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Nah you had to watch Taylor bowler in each test since 2006 (his breakout Kingston test vs IND) to 2009. That stats here dont reflect how well he has bowled. (just like how lee averaging 40 in the 05 Ashes & Hilfenhaus 50+ vs SA 08/09 dont reflect how well they bowled)

He has been very reliable to the windies in that 3 year period & has always been their go to bowler. I dont recall him actually have a bad test - no inconsistency at all.

So if he comes back with & is backed up by Roach/Edwards/Bravo consistently, he will continue to improve for sure IMO.
Well sort of, he's been bowling lines without penetration, or pace for that matter, and whilst being consistent, he was consistent in the same sort of way Bravo is consistent, will keep good lines whilst the only viable wicket is really batsmen playing at something they shouldn't... I think once he can get over this long term injury he'll come back to the bowling he showed was possible in that first test against England...

Jezroy

State Captain
Is this a bad time to bring it up again?
Yeah, Pakistan obviously the best test team over WI, NZ, and BANG. Just the fact they have to throw games as and when the bookmakers require is the reason their record is comparatively poor.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
BUMP

Just thought about this thread. I think I know the answer to my 5 year old question now.
I think the results mimic the order of the names that you added to the poll.

NZ
Pakistan
WI
Bangladesh

I don't know much about Bangers recent form, they'd give the Windies a run for their money wouldn't they?

Xuhaib

International Coach
I think the results mimic the order of the names that you added to the poll.

NZ
Pakistan
WI
Bangladesh

I don't know much about Bangers recent form, they'd give the Windies a run for their money wouldn't they?
Don't think there is much in between NZ,Pak, SL,Aus,Eng,Ind. SAl is clearly the best side rest of them are closely bunched home/favorable track bullies.