• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best of The Rest - NZ, WI, Pak, Bang in tests

Who is the best test team of these teams?

• Total voters

Jezroy

State Captain
So comparing a batsman who's been facing Bang of late to a batsman who has had to take on England, Aus and Sa in the last 18 months is fair? yeah of course it is!! :laugh: .
I would have thought that plenty of international cricketers would face more than their fair share of Bang?:naughty:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Slightly off topic but in terms of what ifs and new zealand's potential.
If McCullum comes good, if Williamson pans out. Then that will give us 5 batsman counting Vettori who can contribute. Today we have 4 batsman when Ryder is fit. This is not a major upgrade.

If fairy dust gets sprinkled over the NZ team turning lead into gold then Hopkins might average 30 with the bat out of the number 8 spot. Giving us 6 batsman who can do something. 6 batsman would be enough for us to start being more consistent but not good enough to beat anyone in the top 5.

I took hope when I read your post that Flynn was working with Martin Crowe. Because I think for us to improve to be ranked 4th or 5th best in the world then we need one more player, other than the current contracted players, to come into the picture who can average 40 with the bat. I am not saying I have any hopes for Flynn, I am just hoping someone else from domestic cricket will step up.

Jezroy

State Captain
Two years ago is 2008!!. we beat England in 2009 so at least it's only LAST YEAR!! :laugh: .
England won the Football World Cup in 1966 and they still go on about that too...

Please note also 18 months ago is last year, 19 months ago is 2008. Not a great difference to be fair.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Tbh I think Andy McKay is the dark horse in the world class player tables. Left arm fast swing bowler who can also get some nice bounce. Then there is Southee with right arm fast medium swing. They're a nice partnership.

Lollin at the batting tables over the page. Shows just how gun Taylor. Vettori and McCullum have been with the bat recently. Add in Ryder and Williamson and who knows.

Need some bloody openers though *broken record*

WindieWeathers

International Regular
It does show you though that if you have an AWESOME bowling attack, you give yourself a chance of winning any test match - even if your batting does suck. Whereas you can have the best batting line up in the world, but if you can't bowl a team out, you'll never win a game.
We bowled out England for 51, SA twice and i think Aus twice too (one was for 150) so i'd be inclined to believe our bowling attack is much better than NZ's and not much worse than Pak's even though i accept their's is better right now, i also think people are down playing how weak Pak's batting order has been lately, you only have to look at their performance last week to see how bad it is and it was shocking in Aus too!!.

Gayle
Barath
Sarwan
Chanders
Samuel/Nash/Deo/Darren Bravo
Dwayne Bravo

It doesn't matter what combination we put out there Nz and Pak can't compete with that batting power, and when you consider that we've bowled three of the best teams out more than once over the past 18 months then it would suggest we aren't too bad in the bowling department either.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1 Tamim Iqbal
2 Chris Gayle
3 Ramnaresh Sarwan
4 Ross Taylor
5 Shivnarine Chanderpaul
6 Shakib Al Hasan
7 Brendon McCullum
8 Daniel Vettori (c)
9 Jerome Taylor
10 Mohammed Amir
11 Mohammed Asif

That would be a nice team!

But seriously, this is very tough to pick a winner. NZ will always be the most consistent of the teams. Pakistan need Khan and Yousuf, if they had them both, they would win out of this group easily.

I look forward to seeing these countries play a few Tests against each other to sort it out.

Flem274*

123/5
We bowled out England for 51, SA twice and i think Aus twice too (one was for 150) so i'd be inclined to believe our bowling attack is much better than NZ's and not much worse than Pak's even though i accept their's is better right now, i also think people are down playing how weak Pak's batting order has been lately, you only have to look at their performance last week to see how bad it is and it was shocking in Aus too!!.

Gayle
Barath
Sarwan
Chanders
Samuel/Nash/Deo/Darren Bravo
Dwayne Bravo

It doesn't matter what combination we put out there Nz and Pak can't compete with that batting power, and when you consider that we've bowled three of the best teams out more than once over the past 18 months then it would suggest we aren't too bad in the bowling department either.
But when you were down here we did compete with that batting power...

Jezroy

State Captain
1 Tamim Iqbal
2 Chris Gayle
3 Ramnaresh Sarwan
4 Ross Taylor
5 Shivnarine Chanderpaul
6 Shakib Al Hasan
7 Brendon McCullum
8 Daniel Vettori (c)
9 Jerome Taylor
10 Mohammed Amir
11 Mohammed Asif

Great team - cept now McCullum isn't going to keep in tests.

But that is a really good team and I think shows in no uncertain terms where each teams strength lies.

Jezroy

State Captain
Our lot didn't have the chance last time because they were too busy being on strike and arguing with the WICB!! :laugh: .
Think you missed my joke. It was a ***ual reference to international cricketers getting some of the good stuff from the ladies.

Just trying to lighten the load.

If you know what I mean.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Great team - cept now McCullum isn't going to keep in tests.

But that is a really good team and I think shows in no uncertain terms where each teams strength lies.
I knew that but when naming the team I didn't even think twice about naming McCullum, force of habit I guess.

It's a difficult decision though between Akmal, Ramdin and Rahim.

Kamran Akmal has looked very solid behind the stumps in the current series against Australia, so I guess he's the logical pick, I really rate Rahim though.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I guess we should just accept our lot - Windies are far and away better than NZ, Pak and Bang. In fact, it's only conspiracy after conspiracy that has kept the Windies away from the number 1 ranking. The ICC executive members should hang their heads in shame.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I think NZ would still beat WI home and away
I've heard it all now!! :laugh: , you were a better team in 2008 when we toured NZ and still you couldn't beat us, since then we've beaten England and one could argue NZ have gone backwards, i'd bet any money that NZ wouldn't beat us whether it's home or away, in the Caribbean they'd do well to even draw a test imo, we might have taken a few hits against SA recently but NZ aren't SA.