• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

800!

Sir Alex

Banned
Murali WAG What a Champ.

Salute the legend. Signing off in the best manner possible. Ultimate bowler of our times.

JBH001

International Regular
Great way to retire. Probably only Sachin scoring his 100th ton in his last test for India could top it! :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Great, simply great.

And I don't think this record will ever be broken. With the advent of T20s and a hectic cricket schedule I don't think a player will last the wear and tear anough to get to 800 test wickets again (or 100 internaational 100s if Tendulkar gets there). There was a debate in the latest cricinfo podcast which focussed on 'Are fast bowlers dying'. They said the same when Trueman got 300 or even when Walsh got 500, so you never know but like the Hobbs record this seems unreachable for me.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Good way to sign off I reckon. Many great years of service to the country and he's won many a match for us. Legend.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Only thing I can see is this actually makes up a little bit for such a dismal show from India in this test..

WAG!! Champ!! Legend!! All timer!!! and all that!!1

Long live!!!

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Certainly a remarkable achievment.

Superb!!!! from a Legend.

Won't be beaten anytime soon.

Dissector

International Debutant
Let's not forget that in addition to reaching 800 Murali reached the remarkable milestone of 6 wicket per test for his career. He is the only bowler with more than 200 wickets to achieve this.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great to see Murali bring up his 800th wicket, he deserved to get there after such a great career. Amazingly, thinking back, I haven't seen most of his career as he achieved most of what he did away from Australia. I still recall his 16 wickets vs England though and the bloke could turn it an absolute mile.

Seems like a nice guy too, so I hope retirement treats him well when he eventually goes from all forms of the game.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Looove yooou Muuuuraalllllliiiiii. What a guy, what a milestone, what a career the legendariness and the think I like about him is the fact that he is so quite and just an amazing guy, Warne and some others like Ntini couldn't keep their yap shut for half a second, he lets bowling do the talking, his grin tells the story and when he gets you out... There is one heck of a smile, I think every (non batting) cricketer, ney, EVERYONE who knows him shall miss his long time in the field.

He really brought cricket into the Lankans when they really needed it and although there was all the controversy and the speculation about his action, he didn't let any of it go to his head.And what makes more special is that he actually lasted so long with the action, no backbrakes, no shoulder tears nothing.I think his peak was during his early days when no-one knew who he was or how to play him, and something that amazes me is that... No body still knows how to play him!

WAG Murali :wub::wub::notworthy:thumbs_up

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Champion achievement, so pleased to have seen it live :cool:
AWTA. Had to sit through an hour and a half of Ishant blocking away like a pro, but was well worth it :laugh:

Can now claim to have witnessed the end of all three great spinners live too :cool:

Last edited: