• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Depth of Countries

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This was mentioned recently in another thread as a side-sequence to the main discussion and I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Quite a few things you could talk about IMO.
Which country do you think currently has the best depth?
Comparing XIs not involving players in most recent squads/uncapped XIs etc.

England would probably be something like :

Carberry
Key/Lyth
Joyce
Bopara
Hildreth
Wright
Davies
Rashid
Tremlett
Sidebottom
Onions

Honourble mentions to James Taylor, Samit Patel, Ian Blackwell, James Tredwell and uhh.. some others I guess. Would have Ramps there myself even if the selectors won't.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Bangladesh if you consider relative skill differential between first XI and subsequent ones.

Otherwise it could be anyone, inclined (due to bias) to say India except that our pace cupboard is pretty empty.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
SL would look like in a test

Lahiru Thirimanne (LH)
Malinda Warnapura (LH, OB)
Kaushal Silva (RH, rwk)
Chamara Kapugedara (RH, RMF)
Thilina Kandamby (LH)
Dinesh Chandimal+ (RH)
Jehan Mubarak* (LH, OB)
Suraj Randiv (RH, OB)
Nuwan Kulasekara (RH, RFM)
Dhammika Prasad (RH, RFM)
Suranga Lakmal (RH, RFM)

Reserves: Farveez Maharoof, Thissara Perera, Jeewan Mendis

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
M Vijay
A Mukund
A Rahane
C Pujara
M Tiwary
Badrinath
W Saha
P Chawla
A Mishra
P Kumar/ P Singh/ etc etc
V Kumar

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Australia has:
top order: Rogers, Hughes, Marsh, Jaques, Klinger

middle order: Khawaja, Ferguson, DHussey, White, Bailey

keepers: Wade, Hartley

quicks: Siddle, Harris, McKay, George, Hastings, Cutting, ****ley

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Outside of Katich, Watson, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, North, Paine, Smith, Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Bollinger.

Australia A
1 Phil Hughes
2 Chris Rogers
3 Shaun Marsh
4 Usman Khawaja
5 David Hussey
6 Cameron White (c)
7 Brad Haddin +
8 Nathan Hauritz
9 Peter Siddle
10 Ryan Harris
11 Clint McKay

I know it's cheating cause obviously Hauritz and Haddin would be playing and North shouldn't be in the best team! George Bailey would normally make my second XI team over DHussey cause I really like Bailey and don't think the selectors would ever go down the Dussey path, but for the sake of depth, I've picked him.

Australia B
1 Phil Jaques
2 Michael Klinger
3 Mark Cosgrove
4 George Bailey (c)
5 Callum Ferguson
6 Adam Voges
7 Matthew Wade +
8 Steve O'Keefe
9 Ben Cutting
10 Burt ****ley
11 Peter George

Then you've still got John Hastings and the young NSW quicks of Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Starc, Trent Copeland and the likes of Andrew McDonald, Chris Hartley, Ed Cowan and Jason Krejza if he returns to form.

Have I missed anyone?

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
India A

Abhinav Mukund
Murali Vijay
Cheteshwar Pujara
Rohit Sharma
Manoj Tiwary
Virat Kohli
Dinesh Karthik
Irfan Pathan
Ravi Ashwin
Piyush Chawla
Praveen Kumar

12th man: Rahane

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
India A

Abhinav Mukund
Murali Vijay
Cheteshwar Pujara
Rohit Sharma
Manoj Tiwary
Virat Kohli
Dinesh Karthik
Irfan Pathan
Ravi Ashwin
Piyush Chawla
Praveen Kumar

12th man: Rahane
Perhaps Rahane and Pandey instead of Tiwary. And one of sreesanth /mishra/ Ishant will also make it to the Indian 11.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I think australia have the best depth in terms of second 11 and beyond the first 11 at the moment.

Jezroy

State Captain
NZ A

Awww... crap this is quite hard...

If it was a first class match at home? Going off stats from last years first class stuff...

A Redmond
P Ingram
C Cumming
J Franklin
S Stewart
L Woodcock
K Van Wyk
N Beard
G Aldridge
M Bates
M Mason

Plenty of bowling in there - not sure how good but this was the form team of last year (from averages) who aren't likely to feature in the next NZ test squad. Plus you've still got an XI like this on the sideline...

J How
D Flynn
M Sinclair
P Fulton
N Broom
G Elliot
R Young
K Mills
J Patel (he might actually miss out more if Williamson's spin proves OK)
N McCullum
N Wagner - when he qualifies

Butler could be in there to but not sure how he'd hold up in first class stuff.

Interesting to note that Flynn started opening at the end of last year and has been doing a lot of work with Martin Crowe which is apparently going really well.

Some guy Bopara did okay for Auckland last year... But I don't think the selectors will pick him.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think Australia have a heap of guys who would do a serviceable job. They just don't have any "bankers" at the moment, especially in the bowling attack. Hauritz is almost the closest too that, you know what you'll get from him week in, week out. I don't know if you can say that about the others in this current attack, nor a few of the back-ups.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Needs more Brodie Boult and Williamson IMO. Though Kane missed out because he may actually get into the Test team I guess?

Howsie

International Captain
Australia easily have the best depth, I can't remember a time since I started watching cricket when they didn't. Take the three teams Nufan named, every single one of those players (bar the spinners) would walk right into the current New Zealand test team which is just insane.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This was mentioned recently in another thread as a side-sequence to the main discussion and I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Quite a few things you could talk about IMO.
Which country do you think currently has the best depth?
Comparing XIs not involving players in most recent squads/uncapped XIs etc.

England would probably be something like :

Carberry
Key/Lyth
Joyce
Bopara
Hildreth
Wright
Davies
Rashid
Tremlett
Sidebottom
Onions

Honourble mentions to James Taylor, Samit Patel, Ian Blackwell, James Tredwell and uhh.. some others I guess. Would have Ramps there myself even if the selectors won't.
In terms of depth there over over 400 wkts in Hoggard and Harmison still on the county circuit and Simon Jones has not called it a day yet.

Howsie

International Captain
To do this we need to know who is in our first team...
1.McIntosh
2.Watling
3.McCullum
4.Taylor
5.Ryder
6.Williamson
7.Vettori
8.Hopkins
9.Arnel
10.Southee
11.McKay

Subjective but I'd guess at that. So that would leave a "A" team looking something like

1.Guptill
2.Ingram
3.Fulton
4.Sinclair
5.Broom
6.Flynn
7.Franklin
8.Young
9.McCullum
10.Tuffey
11.Bates

Batting line-up looks too long but meh.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Australia have a heap of guys who would do a serviceable job. They just don't have any "bankers" at the moment, especially in the bowling attack. Hauritz is almost the closest too that, you know what you'll get from him week in, week out. I don't know if you can say that about the others in this current attack, nor a few of the back-ups.
Missing bankers in the batting too. :ph34r:

EDIT: Not true. Watto, you know what you're going to get from him every knock; lbw. [random bowler who bowls in-swing]