• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Depth of Countries

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
McDonald didn't even make Australia B :-O :(
Realistically if the top 22 players were unable to play for Australia due to a pay dispute or something, McDonald would probably get into that Australan B team ahead of Cutting or ****ley due to his experience.

Spark

Global Moderator
Missing bankers in the batting too. :ph34r:

EDIT: Not true. Watto, you know what you're going to get from him every knock; lbw. [random bowler who bowls in-swing]
That or hit straight to deep midwicket.

Katich and Clarke are probably the closest we have to bankers IMO.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
1.McIntosh
2.Watling
3.McCullum
4.Taylor
5.Ryder
6.Williamson
7.Vettori
8.Hopkins
9.Arnel
10.Southee
11.McKay

Subjective but I'd guess at that. So that would leave a "A" team looking something like

1.Guptill
2.Ingram
3.Fulton
4.Sinclair
5.Broom
6.Flynn
7.Franklin
8.Young
9.McCullum
10.Tuffey
11.Bates

Batting line-up looks too long but meh.
Martin in for McKay in the top team
NZ paceman Martin gets surprise contract renewal: Rediff Sports

Our second team that you have listed there would lose to Bangers in Bangladesh.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Australia have a heap of guys who would do a serviceable job. They just don't have any "bankers" at the moment, especially in the bowling attack. Hauritz is almost the closest too that, you know what you'll get from him week in, week out. I don't know if you can say that about the others in this current attack, nor a few of the back-ups.
Agreed

People talk about Oz depth as though we have a never-ending conveyor belt of potential stars who are simply being denied an opportunity to shine by an outstanding first x1

IMO, that is simply not the case

As Vic says, what we do have is a lot of capable pros who can be called on in the reasonable expectation that they'll do "a job" and a couple of potentially outstanding but untried youngsters

Not a disastrous situation by any means but certainly not a pot of gold

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Second XIs don't really tell you much anyway, there's a huge difference between having no decent backup for Mitchell Johnson and having no decent backup for Zaheer Khan. Marcuss named an England second XI attack of Tremlett, Onions and Sidebottom, which is worth about as much as a second XI attack of me, GIMH and SS because chances are not one of those players will be anywhere near fit enough to play a test match when required.

Uppercut

Agreed

People talk about Oz depth as though we have a never-ending conveyor belt of potential stars who are simply being denied an opportunity to shine by an outstanding first x1

IMO, that is simply not the case

As Vic says, what we do have is a lot of capable pros who can be called on in the reasonable expectation that they'll do "a job" and a couple of potentially outstanding but untried youngsters

Not a disastrous situation by any means but certainly not a pot of gold
I think you just have to compare your situation to everyone else's to see why everyone rants about Australian depth so much.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Marcuss named an England second XI attack of Tremlett, Onions and Sidebottom, which is worth about as much as a second XI attack of me, GIMH and SS because chances are not one of those players will be anywhere near fit enough to play a test match when required.
:laugh:
I know Onions is crocket at the moment, but before his current injury he hasn't had much of a history of constant niggles has he?
I agree about Sidebottom but he still lingers around the setup. As for Tremlett, he's getting through a lot of overs this summer. Obviously with what's gone before him, he could break down at any moment, but as it stands he is fit and doing a job.

morgieb

It's probably Australia. Reckon South Africa would have it if everyone still playing real cricket was elegible, however around 20 players are over in the UK on Kolpak deals. India have great batting depth but their bowling looks to be up **** creek. England's OK but not that great, plus many county players will never get picked for England again/ever. Others don't look that good.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Depth Of Countries

Code:
Australia	              Lake Eyre	           -15 metres
Bangladesh                    Coastline             Sea Level
United Kingdom	              The Fens	           -4 metres
India	                      Kuttanad	           -2.2 metres
New Zealand	              Taieri Plain  	 -2 metres
Pakistan                      Coastline             Sea Level
South Africa                  Coastline             Sea Level
Sri Lanka                     Coastline             Sea Level
West Indies                   Coastline             Sea Level
Zimbabwe	              Runde & Save Rivers   162 metres
Looks like Zimbabwe wins.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
No one even seems to be ratingt SL A. Recently they played AUS A, lost 2-0 in 4 day matches, but thrashed AUS A 2-0 in ODs. If Mubarak was made the captain, would have taken the ODs 3-0 and would have drawn the 4 day series. Nothing comes close to mubarak's captaining abilities in the FC circuit in SL.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
No one even seems to be ratingt SL A. Recently they played AUS A, lost 2-0 in 4 day matches, but thrashed AUS A 2-0 in ODs. If Mubarak was made the captain, would have taken the ODs 3-0 and would have drawn the 4 day series. Nothing comes close to mubarak's captaining abilities in the FC circuit in SL.
How do you work out that you would have drawn the four day series? Our OD side was fairly ordinary tbh, not a true reflection of our 12th to 22nd best player.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
How do you work out that you would have drawn the four day series? Our OD side was fairly ordinary tbh, not a true reflection of our 12th to 22nd best player.
AUS A could have been floored in the 1st innings if the captaincy was good. Kaushal Silva is only known for his batting and keeping prowess, not for captaincy. And he made some odd mistakes in team selection and while Steve O'Keefe was batting. Better captain would have acted differently. This is not an analysis on retrospective. That' what we felt looking at the bowling changes he made.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
India A

Abhinav Mukund
Murali Vijay
Cheteshwar Pujara
Rohit Sharma
Manoj Tiwary
Virat Kohli
Dinesh Karthik
Irfan Pathan
Ravi Ashwin
Piyush Chawla
Praveen Kumar

12th man: Rahane
Okay, if we use the current Test XI as India's first team and we say that Mishra, Zaheer Khan, Sreesanth are also in the scene then, for me, you have, for Tests.

India A

1. Abhinav Mukund
2. Murali Vijay
3. Cheteshwar Pujara
4. Rohit Sharma
5. S Badrinath
6. Dinesh Karthik
7. Irfan Pathan
8. Ravi Ashwin
9. Piyush Chawla
10. Dhawal Kulkarni
11. Munaf Patel

India B

1. Shikhar Dhawan
2. Wasim Jaffer
3. Ajinkya Rahane
4. Suresh Raina
5. Virat Kohli
6. Manoj Tiwary
7. Parthiv Patel
8. Praveen Kumar
9. R Vinay Kumar
10. Iqbal Abdulla
11. RP Singh

Honerable mentions, Yusuf Pathan, Jaidev Unadkat, Manish Pandey.

Imo, that B team could take down a big Test side on its day. India's problem is never depth, it is that we pick out of form bowlers far too often. The slightest passenger in the bowling department can be fatal to a team and our second pacer, after Zaheer is often that.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Yeah, I personally believe that Australia A didn't perform to their full potential in the four day games despite winning the series 2 - 0. I also think that Australia A could beat Sri Lanka A 9 times out of 10.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I personally believe that Australia A didn't perform to their full potential in the four day games despite winning the series 2 - 0. I also think that Australia A could beat Sri Lanka A 9 times out of 10.
9/10 is OT. 7/10 would have been the better bet. And SL A on home soil will back themselves to beat AUS A 7/10 times as well.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hmm, still one of the matches was played on a bunsen in Australia. Still back you guys to win at home, but it's not as though the game was being played at the WACA.