• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England 5th Test squad

Craig

World Traveller
Thanks to Andre on the front page it is: *MP Vaughan, ME Trescothick, MA Butcher, GP Thorpe, ET Smith, A Flintoff, +AJ Stewart, AF Giles, GJ Batty, JM Anderson, SJ Harmison, Kabir Ali, MP Bicknell.

Those in bold represent the new additions to the squad.

Meanwhile Saqlian Mushtaq comes back for Pakistan in the 3rd Test against Bangladesh.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr. Ponting said:
hehe. Mr. Hussein will regret his desicions now, won't he?:D
As Eddie said. Hussain is in great touch with the bat at the moment, and would definitely have played but for the toe injury.

I for one am shocked at his turnaround (witness my article of last month, and how stupid he made me look there), and think he could carry on for at least another year.

Langeveldt

Soutie
So nice to see the countries premier batsman actually getting a game.. Although IMO its too little too late for England

Giles aside, are there really no more impressive spinners than Gareth Batty in England? Its worrying

wasnt Bicknell very doubtful? I wouldnt play him in a five day test against SA if he was doubtful...

And I heard mumblings last night that Trescothick didnt warrent his place. A score and i big one is needed methinks...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jacques Rudolph said:
So nice to see the countries premier batsman actually getting a game.. Although IMO its too little too late for England
Even when he has shown a lack of commitment to his country?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Even when he has shown a lack of commitment to his country?

Bit harsh saying its a "lack of commitment" with the obvious problems hes had... Maybe he has taken them too seriously but i think he has always been commited...

Anyway IMO it should be whoever can score the most runs on a given day...In order to win a game of cricket... And thats not too hard to work out...

Mr Mxyzptlk

He had the opportunity to go on stand by for the 2nd (?) Test and he turned it down on a claim of back ailment. He then played for Surrey...

V Reddy

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He had the opportunity to go on stand by for the 2nd (?) Test and he turned it down on a claim of back ailment. He then played for Surrey...
I can't understand you Mr.Mx. You support Saqlain even though he played for Surrey instead of Pakistan numerous times but the same doesn't apply for Thorpe :rolleyes:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
vishnureddy said:
I can't understand you Mr.Mx. You support Saqlain even though he played for Surrey instead of Pakistan numerous times but the same doesn't apply for Thorpe :rolleyes:

Saqlain's recent omissions haven't been through choice.

Mr Mxyzptlk

vishnureddy said:
I don't support Saqlain any more than I support Akhtar or Thorpe. I feel the same way about the West Indian prospect Morton.

That said, I'm not against Thorpe or Saqlain (undecided on Shoaib), but I'm in full support either.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Danny Morrison was talking to a guy from Channel 4 last night on the radio & he said the pitch looks like a motorway.

He went on to say that if England can dismiss South Africa twice on this wicket then it'll be one of their great achievements.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
...and for the final time:

Graham Thorpe has been picked, he has waited all season for it, he is our best batsman.

Sod what happened before, we need to win.

Craig

World Traveller
I would say Thorpe and Vaughan are England's two best batsmen. Hussain broke his toe from an Andrew Hall yorker, not from kicking the door when he got out to Rudolph as some reports have suggested.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
Nasser Hussain's got a broken toe
Yes, of course I know that. What I meant was, Mr. Hussain be regretting letting his toe break now, won't he?

Bazza

International 12th Man
Nasser's got a new nickname - poppadom toes!

Seriously, we've delayed picking Thorpe all summer because 'younger players deserve a chance'. Sod that. How many youngsters do you see regularly getting blooded for Australia? We had to win this series, but as usual the selectors are too busy 'building for the future'. Now we have to win this just test to get a draw out of the series.

Graham Thorpe is our most proven batsman and he should have been playing since the first test IMO. Did the selectors really think Anthony McGrath was a better alternative? :(

Mr Mxyzptlk - Wouldn't you rather play for Surrey than sit around 'on standby'? Graham Thorpe has never shown anything but commitment to his country. He just wants to play cricket. OK he had some problems, does that mean he doesn't deserve a second chance?

Who would you rather have batting at 5 in a must win test:

A proven international batsman with over 5000 runs at ~42 who's played 77 tests and had success in every situation... or

A new player with 2 tests and not many more runs to his name. Someone who is out of form after a tough introduction to test cricket.

Who would you choose? I know who I'd choose, and lest just say if I'd had my way, Ed Smith would still be waiting for his debut.

As for Nasser Hussain, I've always thought he is a great batsman. His record would have been world class if he hadn't been burdened with the captaincy IMO and we're starting to see some returns. He absolutely has to go to Bangladesh, SL and WI.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr. Ponting said:
Yes, of course I know that. What I meant was, Mr. Hussain be regretting letting his toe break now, won't he?
And he did it on purpose didn't he?

What a stupid thing to say!

:rolleyes: