• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne v Murlie

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
The two spinners:
S K Warne and that Javlin Thrower

Who will beat Walsh first?

It is said that they will both pass Walsh as leading wicket taker in the 1st Test of the next Sri Lanka v Australia series.

SO WHO WILL WIN? :confused: :I

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's would be a lot easier for Murali to pass Walsh first when he bowls the bulk of the overs in any Sri Lankan innings.

See, before Vaas decided to step up to the plate, Murali was the only decent bowler in the attack so he got lots of bowling. Warne has NEVER been in an Aussie attack where there wasn't at least two other world-class bowlers in the lineup so he gets less bowling.

Murali may be a very good bowler but when the majority of his wickets have come from wrecking teams like Zimbabwe, New Zealand (when they weren't doing so well) and England, well I shall suspend my calling him one of the great off-spinners of all time. Warnie has done his thing against all-comers (except India).

So I will say Warnie is the superior spinner in all conditions, pitches and against different teams.

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
Personally I think Murali will get there first. This is because Steve Waugh tries to put bowlers into the attack who haven't taken any wickets to put a smile back on their face. On the other hand, Murali is Sri Lanka's main strike bowler so they will use him as much as possible.

Rhis is what I think anyway.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
At the rate that Murali is going he will be at 600 before Warne passes Walsh's tally. Not bad for a javelin thrower.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Erm, I think you meant declared legal...

I reckon Murali will get there first as he bowls more frequently than Warne

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
The only reason that Muli is allowed to bowl is that the Sri Lankan team will be so upset at their only bowler being taken off they will walk off the ground.

IT HAS HAPPENED!

Warney!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The only reason that Muli is allowed to bowl is that the Sri Lankan team will be so upset at their only bowler being taken off they will walk off the ground.

IT HAS HAPPENED!

Warney!
And that is totally justified as his action is legal!

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
Roughly, how many wickets do you think Murali will take in his Test career?

I think he'll take about 650 wickets if he doesn't get badly injured.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
I don't are what you say but here is my points.

1. Warne will beat Murlie to Walshes record.
2. Murlie should beat Warne at the end of their carrers.
3. Murlie is a chucker.
4. Murlie is a chucker.
5. Murlie is a chucker.
6. Sri Lankan cricket has been dragged through the mud by the walk off in Austraia. And it should of been after that kind of effort.

Rangatunga shoud not of had hisen walk off when Murlie was called for chucking, he held the game of Cricket in contempt because of his belief that his, and not the umpires, word was law.

In the past ten years I can ony think of two bigger disgracs:

3. Sri Lanka walk off
2. Cronje scandle
1. Englands effort in the recent Ashes series.

SO MURLIE IS ONLY NOT CALLED A CHUCKER BECAUSE THE UMPIRES ARE SCARED TO.

Thankyou. :lipsrsealed:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Muralitharan is not called for chucking because his action is legal!

It has been checked many times and proved legal many times!

How come you aren't so up-in-arms about Brett Lee's action? Or Shoaib? Or James Kirtley?

Rose-tinted Glasses.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I admit that Brett Lee and Shoiab have chucking actions
On what do you base this? Both Vrett and Shoaib have been shown to have actions which hyper-extend their arms. Sure they both bend and straighten their arms but from around 40 degrees the WRONG WAY. Yes that's right, both of them have arms which flex past where their arm is straight. So when they bowl it gives the appearance of chucking but in reality they are actually straightening their arm from being bent backwards.

[Edited on 4/10/02 by Top_Cat]